40 chevy front susp.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allis327

Getting ideas together about my 40 chevy master deluxe front end. If I rebuild it put on disk brakes and new shocks it will cost about $1000. If I go with a mustang 2 it is $1800 and I have the steering taken care of. If it had leafs I would leave them, but it has ifs. If the cost of options was not an issue what would you do?

Chassis Engineering makes a bolt in front clip for Mustang 2 that is ride height adjustable. That is what I want to use for my second 42 Chevy. I had someone install a '74 Nova front clip in my first '42 Chevy and it was free. That car corners like a new car, no leaning and power steering. It works awesome but harder to do right than the M2 is. Hope this helps.

Yep, if you can find a good clip to sub in and can do the fab work, that's the cheapest route. Just keep in mind that you can wind up in the 500$ range real quick with that too if it all needs to be rebuilt and you want matching bolt patterns, etc.

Waitin' on pics!

My buddy is using a chevelle/malibu frame on his 36, seems like a big pain to me. I am prob going for the mII just because the I will have great drive ability and never have to revist the front end again. Working on pics hopefully by tonight. Thanks for your replies

I'm kinda lost in the options as well. I'm doing a 35 ford pick-up with no fenders. I hate to sound like I'm copping out, but a kit from speedway sounds like the way to go if you want a split wishbone, straight axle. Again your looking at roughly $1,600 but everything is new. Are you running fenders Allis327?

I don know yet, the fenders are in great shape but it prob would not be very ratty with just flat black paint. Then again I could leave the hood off. Here are some pics it came with a new trunk lid just need some minor cosmetic work on the trunk. Floor is completely rotted out, but I work in a steel shop so material to fix it is not a prob just need the time.

Attachments

• 100_0379.jpg
    100_0379.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_0381.jpg
    100_0381.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0380.jpg
    100_0380.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0382.jpg
    100_0382.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 6
Getting ideas together about my 40 chevy master deluxe front end. If I rebuild it put on disk brakes and new shocks it will cost about $1000. If I go with a mustang 2 it is $1800 and I have the steering taken care of. If it had leafs I would leave them, but it has ifs. If the cost of options was not an issue what would you do?

long wheelbase s-10 frame, if your in a pinch for money. they usually have everything you need, and are 117" wheelbase really easy to adapt, around $200-$300.00 rolling!!!:D

Assuming the 40 and 41 are the same, yer wheelbase is 116" with trackwidths of 57-3/4" front and 60" back.

Keep the fenders on, IMO the back looks screwy without 'em - unless your looking for the old circle track look. Why paint it at all? Just slap a big motor in, paint some flames or scallops on it, and done!

Assuming the 40 and 41 are the same, yer wheelbase is 116" with trackwidths of 57-3/4" front and 60" back.

Keep the fenders on, IMO the back looks screwy without 'em - unless your looking for the old circle track look. Why paint it at all? Just slap a big motor in, paint some flames or scallops on it, and done!

I agree with Sam, I used an 88, S-10 lwb frame under my 49 Chevy Fleetline, had to shorten the frame 4inches, and redo the floorpan, but not all that hard to do.

Latest posts

Back