40 Chevy truck, First Rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turner-66C10

Well after much looking I finally found a project. Its a 1940 Chevy truck. The guy actually even had the title for it!

100_6000.jpg

100_6009.jpg

I ended up leaving it on the trailer to tear it down because none of the wheels will roll. Several hours later all I have left is to get the cab off the frame. I was trying to be careful tearing it down becasue someone might want soem of the parts that I wont be using.

The plan will be 2x4x3/16 frame, 350 chevy, 350 turbo trans, unknown rear axle. for the cab im thinking about a 4" chop. Im only going to use the cab and bed for sure so the rest will be posted in the For Sale section soon.

Do you have the other headlight and would you be selling them? Very nice start to your project. Good luck!

Turner your killin me here!! I only live about 15 minutes north of the "DOTTE" and have been lookin every time I drive around the old back roads. But that is a mighty fine find you got for yourself!! Can't wait to see your build start!!
Hey are you going to the shriners swap meet this coming weekend?

Turner your killin me here!! I only live about 15 minutes north of the "DOTTE" and have been lookin every time I drive around the old back roads. But that is a mighty fine find you got for yourself!! Can't wait to see your build start!!
Hey are you going to the shriners swap meet this coming weekend?

yes I am. I knew the guy that had this and have been on him for quite some time. he finally gave in and sold it. We should meet up some time.

yes I am. I knew the guy that had this and have been on him for quite some time. he finally gave in and sold it. We should meet up some time.

We will definetly have to do that!! I will let you know when it gets a little closer to the weekend, but I may be getting a vendor spot this weekend won't know for sure til later. If I do I'll let you know what the lot number is and you can swing by for a visit!!

nice score I have a 39" myself that will be my first rat build. same truck just a frew changes.

Parts for these are hard to find in good shape. I am selling alot of mine I dont need. I did buy grill though that ran me a few hundred. the one that came with it was in very bad shape and I really wanted and original 39 grill and core support on my rod. They are way cool looking.

Try selling you parts on stovebolt.com. Ton of guys over there restore these trucks and are in need of good parts.

I've seen a few threads about using a truck axle with a set of radius rods. Can this axle be used for that? Any Pro's/Con's doing this?

100_6010.jpg

I'm doing that with an upper 1/4 elliptical spring and lower control arms on a P40 (2 or 2 1/2 ton) straight axle. I have seen all kinds of set ups using straight axles with transverse springs, air bags, even a couple with coils, and radius arms. The axles are forged steel, so a lot of people have welded brackets right to them. I am a little apprehensive about doing that, so am building brackets with a kind of reverse batwing setup that will bolt to the stock holes on the axle.

Hey Turner? If you want to do some horse trading with somse parts and you aren't going to be using yor fenders!!! Maybe we could work something out!!

Let me know!!

Latest posts

Back