400 HP 350 sbc?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorj

Good evening.

This is a question I asked in another site but I will take as much input as possible. So here it goes. I know everyone will have their own spin on this but I really have to ask the question. I have recently been able to purchase a 86 Silverado 2wd long bed that is in need of engine refreshening. All the factory options work on this truck (A/C, P/S, P/B). The owners before me has already put a lot of upgrades in the truck so it currently has an older LM1 350 crate engine (#10067353), 260 Crane cam, headers, performer intake, 670 avenger carb, MSD ignition, 700R tranny, 373 rear with possi. Looking at the specs of this crate engine, it has 72 CC heads and was originally rated at 249HP/ 304 Ftlbs TQ. I plan on using this as a daily driver with interstate driving, on occasion towing a trailer, between FL and GA. I have read many articles and they were mainly built in stages. I am looking to see how close to 400HP and max torque I can get out of this while maintaining a street-able profile. I'm not planning on drag racing it but I am like all you that loves as much throttle response I can get.

While I was reading one of the other related articles, it made me think about converting to vortec style heads. My question would be if I change just the heads and freshen the engine, would this put me where I need to be? Or, should I do what I can to get 10:01 by changing the heads, and run a XE268 comp cam? I know 700Rs can be weak but I have the info on the tranny that was build from TPI. It seems it has been beefed up for a little performance.

I do have a set of 305 vortecs but from what I understand, I wouldhave to have the valves enlargened to make these work on a 350. The only other heads I have are 2 sets of 350 swirlies. Please give me your thoughts.Thank you, sorj

Latest posts

Back