40's IH Chevy dodge RPU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leave standing tabs on the baffles, and drill holes in the top plate and then weld around the holes, you could make the baffles out of perforated material as well...

Baffled

Never thought of perfed metal (thanks). Did think about some strategic bung welds. Now just got to finish the house remodeling and get over the cold weather...

Kurt

Coming along

Kurt the intake and exhaust are crazy. :eek:I love it! Looks like we will be seeing you at DQ for sure. There is a show in Vancouver sometime in June and one in Salem on the 26th Of July called Rustproof. We should go. Also Portland Transmission is mothers day weekend. I will be there. It may be your maiden voyage? Keep up the great work. It is coming together. Later Steve

Shooting for may to hit the road. Been to cold and to many remodel projects at home to get back after it. Home a few more nice weekends like the last will break me out of the winter blues!

Can't wait to hot all the shows.

Kurt

Only money

The weather could of been better but had a blast digging through Miles's of parts.

Found some great headlights complete including some rust only $50. A gas pedal, throttle and kickdown cable. And an old firewall heater to get the old lady to ride to a show or two. Picked up a speedo and the rest of the gauges. Still looking for a 24" wide radiator...

The day before the meet i picked up all the brake parts, just need to spend a few days in the shop now. Still need a gas tank and radiator then put it all together. Been making progress but camera sucks,I'll try to get some photo's up soon.

Got to be done before the weather gets nice so have till July to be road worthy.[;)

Kurt

progress

Been working away every chance I get and getting parts as I can put money aside. Cleaning the motor up now. Inside and out new seals and gaskets then some paint.

Steering is alomst complete, just need some seats to finalize the position of the wheel and shaft but here is what I got so far.

Kurt

Attachments

• 2013-03-28 16.21.30.jpg
    2013-03-28 16.21.30.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 2013-03-28 16.20.57.jpg
    2013-03-28 16.20.57.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 104
  • 2013-03-28 16.20.37.jpg
    2013-03-28 16.20.37.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 2013-03-28 16.20.46.jpg
    2013-03-28 16.20.46.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 110
more pic's from the phone.

Need a better camera but keep buying parts for the Rat!

Kurt

Attachments

• 2013-05-02 17.09.42.jpg
    2013-05-02 17.09.42.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 91
  • 2013-05-02 17.09.29.jpg
    2013-05-02 17.09.29.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 2013-05-02 17.09.16.jpg
    2013-05-02 17.09.16.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 2013-05-02 17.09.09.jpg
    2013-05-02 17.09.09.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 85
Getting close

Built a stainless gas tank to go under the seat, mounted the battery and got all the brake lines ran and holding fluid. Started running fuel lines today but the guy at Ace gave 2 8' lengths of the same diameter tube instead of 1/4" & 5/16". My falt for not double checking him...

Gauges and wiring next. Getting close!

Kurt

Damn this truck is looking awesome. What gearbox are you using. Im still trying to figure out what route im going to take on mine. Thanks

My box

Box came out of a dodge pug nose van. Manual box with 3 bolts to the frame. I just went junk yard diving till I found something that would work. The driveline was just laying around.

Kurt

Hi, Neighbor. Looks like a fun ride. I'll be looking for it at Beaches. Hope to get my '38 out there this season, too.

Next door

Well howdy! Ya I can't wait for the beaches cruize in's to start. Hope to be driving the IH by July anyway. Went to the Aloha DQ cruze in Friday. Surprised by all the cars that were there, over 50 for sure. Come say hi if you see me.

Kurt

Oh Boy!

Man Kurt your rat is looking mighty fine. There are many more weekend to come but hurry anyway. Can't wait to see it rolling. Very cool!
Steve

Thanks

Sold the harley last night so have the cash to finish up. Picked up my shocks and torque converter today.ordered my radiator last night :D.

Kurt

Kurt,

Great looking build man! I just discovered your postings so please excuse my questions.

I am looking at building a Rat using a Buick straight 8 engine and some sort of 30's-40's era truck cab. What engine and cab did you use?

The front axle looks really wide. Maybe it is just the angle of the pics. What axle is that?

What is your choice for suspension front and rear? Half elliptical, quarter elliptcal, transferse or something else?

Love that snazzy frame and cowl steering!

Randy (Everett, WA)

Cowl steering

Thanks for looking.

The cab and grill are 1942-49 international heavy truck. I put a Chevy 250 straight 6 because parts are easy to get and it is very simple looking. Behind that is a th350 trans. The front and rear axle's came out of a 40' motor home I pulled a 440 out of for an earlier project. It is pretty wide but looks real sweet up close with the 19" rims.

I found it very easy to fab a radius arm suspension with a watts link up front, I have fox air shocks supporting the front end. Theirs lots of great options depending on if you like a single leaf or quarter elliptical. A suicide axle with quarter elliptical springs and a y link is another way I was going, was going to make a crankshaft as the front cross member and then use 2 rods as the frame side pivot points and a heim at the axle.

The rear is a three link also. Two parallel lower links and a y upper link. All supported with 5" air shocks. I think a truck bar set-up is probably cheaper and awesome if your running a coil spring or air bag. Under a bed though even leaf springs are hard to see.

Simple, clean, and do it Yourself, that is best suspension the is. There is no right or wrong just what you like. Get stuck then ask for advice, the guys on this site have some insane idea's and great opinions. Take it or leave but us. To get you thinking.

I love to talk cars and fab work so question away or some pictures by us all.

Kurt

Latest posts

Back