40's International Shop Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchs66

It's been a while since I posted anything on here but I have been looking around some. I really haven't had a lot of time to work on my own projects, and still haven't brought my '50s Binder cab home from the farm but sometimes things just fall in a guys lap. I was at work last week and a couple of young kids came in with a light load of what my co-workers called junk but something jumped out at me....a '40s International cab[dr. They were headed to the cruiser but less a cab, the '40s cab is what I was wanting when I found my '50s cab so great score for me[cl.

InternationalRatRod002.jpg

InternationalRatRod004.jpg

InternationalRatRod006.jpg

InternationalRatRod010.jpg

InternationalRatRod009.jpg

InternationalRatRod008.jpg

Should be easy to remove the floor, I've been collecting things for a while, hopefully I can start setting things together and start on a frame[;)

This is one of the projects that was standing in the way of my own. My cusin's '31 Model A, it was perfect when he started...black primer and steal wheels but things got out of hand with all the chrome he put under the front. I put a steel roof in out of a station wagon and then he started talking about painting it and the body work started, he told me when I started helping him that this was a rat rod and it turned nice, not perfect but not a rat rod in the end.

Daves31Ford088.jpg

Daves31Ford202.jpg

Daves31Ford223.jpg

Daves31Ford235.jpg

I also have some of the best help you could ever find, she loves hanging out in the shop.

Daves31Ford066.jpg

Daves31Ford069.jpg

Daves31Ford073.jpg

Daves31Ford074.jpg

Daves31Ford077.jpg

Hope you all like the pictures...and sorry they are so big?

Bigger the better for us old folks!!! Thanks for sharing!!
She takes her work VERY seriously doesn't she??

It Aint Easy Being Green!![cl

Cool find on the cab. It'll take some work, but with the looks of the A youe working on, you should have no problems. Gotta love the little helpers. My son's gonna be 5 on 12/1, and he gets mad when we don't go out in the garage. lol funny but true lol

Nice cab! Keep the bullet holes, don't keep the bottom that's already missing. I see it has the tissue box option on the dash. :D

Thanks Everyone. My wife gets mad, Natalie will walk past dolls to play with hot wheels and tools every time. I think that is an ash try on the dash? there is a ash try and lighter inside it and looks like it should have a door or cover on top that is now missing.

Well part of the fun is the chase and I'm lucky to have a lot friends and family interested in the car hobby and junking. I was talking with dad at Thanksgiving dinner about this build and he told me to come out this weekend, he has been trying to clean up and he had some things he would give me to help. A good running 305 and a 350 turbo that has no reverse, out of a '78 caprice, a good set of long tube headers and full set of 2 1/2" exhaust that look new off of a full size blazer. Yesterday I was telling my boss about getting the parts from dad and told him I was looking for a high rise intake, later he told me I could have this intake for the truck....

InternationalRatRod011.jpg

InternationalRatRod013.jpg

I've never ran one of these before but I think it will look good[dr

I got all the parts picked up from my dad Tuesday night, and I have been calling around pricing metal for the frame. Looks like a lot of the frames are being made from 2x4 3/16, I really don't now how long things are going to be yet and everyone I called said standard length of new is 24 foot. I think one piece will be close but not for sure and decide I wanted to buy two, better to have more than not enough. I wasn't planning on buying any yet but found a machine shop that had some they had bought in July and wanted to move it at a rock bottom price. When I went to pick it up today it was 27 feet instead of 24, I offered to pay for extra footage and they said no. With any luck when the holidays are over I'll be able to start laying things out and fire up the old buzz box[;)

good deal on the tubing, they sure don't give the stuff away.. I kinda wish i had used 3/16" on my build, but I already had about 35 feet of 2x4x1/8" laying around, so I used it..thousands of race cars have been built with 2x3x1/8" so i figure it will be fine, but i am reinforcing all the critical joints,motor mounts etc.. for peace of mind..
keep us posted on your project..

Tim

Thanks Tim. I priced from 4 different places and as expected got 4 different prices, the highest was $9.00 a foot:eek: and the lowest $3.50 a foot:). I thought that was a steel, and bought two for myself and picked up 2 for my friend David J. As I said before they ended up being 27 feet long, I've never built a frame yet but been reading a lot on here and I my be able to make the frame I want out of one piece???[S Guess we will see and heck if one is enough that just means I will have to build another truck:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back