41 chevy 1.5 ton, second build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the part i hate has come apon me, body work.

i started with tearing my project down, pulled the bed and cab. the lower cowl/cab are need some work. i bought a spare cab last year and chopped it up for things i needed and sold the rest of it in parts.

P4060094.jpg

P4060096.jpg

i started on the pass side repair work.

P4060095.jpg

P4060092.jpg

i has to fix the lower section of this part as well but there was something to work with.

P4060093.jpg

P4070099.jpg

i has to fudge, pull and twist to get it where it needed to be. but it came out pretty good for not liking body work.

P4090100.jpg

i got started on the driver side as well today. i cut the skin off to get to the under side supports, i did it on both sides but you can see it here. i even replaced the lower front firewall part as one on both sides because they were junk also.

skin removed

P4090102.jpg

lower firewall/ cab mount removed

P4110105.jpg

holes, and hammer work.

P4090104.jpg

installed, spot welded in place, had to stop here. wifey said it was time to eat.

P4110106.jpg

thanks guys

i got the driver side done last night. i started grinding some of my welds from last years chop on the a pillar and fixing some small holes in the upper wind shield seal area.

i would like to get started on the floor or firewall holes i want to fill. pics this weekend

i had to step away from the body for a little bit, i made the rear spring cups and got them mounted. i also started on the frame work for the floor. i have a game plan in my head for the floor frame.

hope to have the floor ironed out sometime tomorrow or sunday, pics will follow then.

ok, heres the pic of the driver side cowl patch done.

P4130107.jpg

here is the spring pockets i made. i used 2 3" exhaust couplers cut in half and welded them in place.

P4130109.jpg

P4130108.jpg

P4130110.jpg

i started on the floor framing. i cut the floor to allow it to support the cab but allow me to make a couple cuts and it would be gone after i installed the framing.

P4140113.jpg

the pieces that run around the back of the cab to the a pillar/ cab mount

P4140111.jpg

most of the frame in with the old floor out.

P4140115.jpg

P4140116.jpg

i had to put the cab back on to finish the floor framing to make sure i had room for the tranny. luckly a couple of buddies stopped over at the right time to help. they didnt stay long, lol.

P4150120.jpg

P4150121.jpg

i got one side made of the floor, i marked the other side but havent cut it out yet. if i have enough metal i will have it finished by tues or so.

P4150123.jpg

thats it for this weekend. had to spend time at a gun show, my buddies place to talk cars and went to dinner this weekend.

well i have been moving along, running out of mig wire, time and money. but still chugging along.
i did get the floors done, seats installed, steering column and rods in, brake pedal installed threw the floor, front shock mounts mounted, e brake tranny shift lever made and installed and head lights mounted.

i ran into a problem, i left the camera in the garage and need to take some more pictures. tomorrow i will take some more pictures of what i have done then blow it all apart to finish it off.

heres them pics, did a couple more days out there. as of now its torn down for finial welding, paint and so on.

heres the rear of the cab and my driveshaft and driveshaft tunnel.

P5170124.jpg

seats, rest of floor and my e brake shift lever.

P5170125.jpg

P5170126.jpg

P5170128.jpg

now we move to the front, i bought some lower shock mounts then made the uppers. then i started the head lights, couldnt figure out witch ones i wanted to do. so i ended up using these fog lights, i went to the parts store and found some regular high/low bulbs to use in them. so i gutted them and the bulb fit great. ill have to get some rubber to keep the bulb from touching metal and help adjusting the beam.

P5170130.jpg

P5170132.jpg

on to the steering. i bought some 3/4" dowl rod because it was cheaper to cut and waste then iron. this is what i came up with.i had to do some clearance on the lower section of the cab for the pitman arm.

P5170134.jpg

P5170136.jpg

going with the 2 barrel 350 motor.

P5170135.jpg

now its striped down for finishing.

i cut the lower part of the frame off to get 2" of extra clearance. scrub line is much better now. the front wasnt a problem but the rear needed some help, with all 4 flats lol.

P5180137.jpg

P5180138.jpg

P5180139.jpg

today i desided to work on the steering box hole. earlyer in the thread when i cut the hole i installed a 1/2" mounting plate then 1/4" plate to box in the inside. today i also added a 1/2" plate to the bottom, 1/8" plates to include the bone mount and help support the masive hole i put in there.

P5190141.jpg

P5190142.jpg

P5190140.jpg

P5190143.jpg

its hard to tell but i boxed in the top also

P5190144.jpg

Latest posts

Back