41 Chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetnomad

Here is the latest picture of out current build ! Its a 41 chevy with a 2x3 tubing frame with a 134" wheelbase. The front is a Speedway 4" drop tube axle with cross steering. The rear is 95 Ford truck 8.8, 3.55 locker, with a three link rear suspension and coilovers mounted outside the bedsides The rear tires and wheels are 20" spares 33" tall from under a Dodge pickup. Egine to start with will be a 305 and 350 turbo.

Attachments

• zzzz 040.jpg
    zzzz 040.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 189
  • zzzz 045.jpg
    zzzz 045.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 118
Very nice! The long wheelbase is killer. :)

I have a quick question. How did you weld the upper 3 link tab to the cast center section on the rearend? I also have a Ford 8.8 that I'm 3 linking.

Couple of questions, and these are NOT criticisms :)

1) That sounds like an awfully long wheelbase for a 2x3 frame. Any issue regarding to much flex? i'm planning a 2x3 frame too, but with a much shorter wheelbase, like about 106". I was told by many on that other forum that 106 is about the limit for 2x3 (3/16" thick). Thoughts?

2) On a 3-link set-up, what keeps the rear axle in position? Are you planning to install a panhard or watts link?

Edit: wait, nevermind, Just saw the panhard bar. That splains it!

I'm trying to learn, hence the questions. Looks great, btw!

Frame

The frame has a 2x3, 1/4 wall 16" frame gusset on top of the rail at the cowl. The frame also has an additional outer 2x3 frame rail that runs from the suspension cross member to the cowl,both are 3/16 tubing. I have a pic of the front gusset, runs 8" forward and aft of the join at the cowl.

8" triangulated frame gussets on each side of the joint

Attachments

• zzzz 048.jpg
    zzzz 048.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 57
Frame

The motor is also set back 18" from the front of the block to the back of the front suspenion crossmember

Attachments

• zzzz 038.jpg
    zzzz 038.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 69
Couple of questions, and these are NOT criticisms :)

1) That sounds like an awfully long wheelbase for a 2x3 frame. Any issue regarding to much flex? i'm planning a 2x3 frame too, but with a much shorter wheelbase, like about 106". I was told by many on that other forum that 106 is about the limit for 2x3 (3/16" thick). Thoughts?

I used 2x3 3/16 have a 120" WB = no flex that I can tell . However my observations are not scientific , just seat of the pants . If I had it too do over I would use 2x4 .

41 chevy build grille mods

Spent about 6-8 hours on the grill mod. The grille is all 41,used the top section and removed the lower bottom row of the top and the outer four of each vertical grill side. We arranged them the bottom and used the outer rim as a guide to follow the contour of the grille Here is the latest on the core support which has been narrowed and lowered. The radiator mount is also made of one by one tubing. All for now, have some more soon !!!!

Attachments

• zzzz 111.jpg
    zzzz 111.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 38
  • zzzz 112.jpg
    zzzz 112.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 36
  • zzzz 113.jpg
    zzzz 113.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 49
41 grille and rearend updates

Thanks,motorhead and batcave about bringing my attention to the welded tabs on my rearend housing. The quy that was helping me with my chassis thought that it would be ok. But the more I thought about my a#* was the one that was going to be riding in it. So i decided to put a bridge over the cast section that would extend from the one side to the other and butt up against the lower link brackets. Also is a picture of the grille we fabricated, now we have it half way installed on the front perch. MORE SOON !!!!

Attachments

• zzzz 133.jpg
    zzzz 133.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 54
  • zzzz 139.jpg
    zzzz 139.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 49
The look of the hood and grille is good , as for as the rear axle that's when a 9" is nice because the housing is all steel , you can weld practicaly anywhere on it . Nice job !

Latest posts

Back