'41 GMC rat rod build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

latahmotors

Well, here are some pics of what I have to work with. So, far everything from the wheels and tires to the frame, cab and engine have been free. I have a whole bunch of other parts that I will consider using. The only thing that I need right now is a wiring kit and a grill. I'm going to use the cab from the '41 GMC and sell of the rest. It has a good inline engine that is not seized. The frame is a '46 dodge and I would like to keep the front axle setup and still run leaf springs in the rear. It also came with a flat head six engine that's not seized. I have a '48 dodge truck that I'm going to rob the steering column from and the bed. That's about all I know so far. I could use some ideas since I'm new to this. Oh, I have a 352 w/ a four speed out of a '71 ford that I'm going to use.

Attachments

• IMG_7190.jpg
    IMG_7190.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7188.jpg
    IMG_7188.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7191.jpg
    IMG_7191.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7185.jpg
    IMG_7185.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7183.jpg
    IMG_7183.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 87
The cab is a classic ( only because it is about the same as my 39 Chev.) you can do no wrong with a cab like that, and yours looks to be in good shape. You kind of lost me on all the frames and engines, sounds like you have alot of choices. What front axle and suspension are you going to run?

looks great so far.

'41 GMC rat rod

Well, I haven't done much to the project. :mad:But, I did get the front wheel bearings greased and new shocks put on the front suspension. I also stripped all the unnecessary parts off of the frame. It's now ready to be measured and cut to how I want it. Let me hear your ideas of what I should do to the frame. I need some inspiration and direction. I would like to keep the leaf spring set up in the back but, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7188.jpg
    IMG_7188.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7253.jpg
    IMG_7253.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7242.jpg
    IMG_7242.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7249.jpg
    IMG_7249.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 37
'41 GMC rat rod

In the previous post I put a before and after pic of the frame. I also pulled off the steering box. Some genius cut the steering column, pedal and shifter in their haste to get the cab off. It didn't make me very happy, 'cause when I originally saw the truck it was all in tact. Anyways, I have a '48 dodge steering box and column that will fit the truck (it was free):cool:. I also got my 352 ford engine running.:) It will need some new gaskets but, it runs and drives nice so, I will be pulling it soon. Here are some pics of the steering box, my service station and my '65 Fairlane project.

Attachments

• IMG_7194.jpg
    IMG_7194.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7259.jpg
    IMG_7259.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7260.jpg
    IMG_7260.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7196.jpg
    IMG_7196.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 25
In the previous post I put a before and after pic of the frame. I also pulled off the steering box. Some genius cut the steering column, pedal and shifter in their haste to get the cab off. It didn't make me very happy, 'cause when I originally saw the truck it was all in tact. Anyways, I have a '48 dodge steering box and column that will fit the truck (it was free):cool:. I also got my 352 ford engine running.:) It will need some new gaskets but, it runs and drives nice so, I will be pulling it soon. Here are some pics of the steering box, my service station and my '65 Fairlane project.

hey i have a 65 fairlane like that do you have any more picks of it?

Cool!!!

Wow... I like those big trucks... they make great rods & u can put nearly *any* motor under those huge hoods!!!

BoB

Nice start. You going to chop at all? You keeping the fenders?

Sorry if you covered this already.
I'm planning on doing a mild chop maybe 2 or 3 inches. But, I really like the mailslot look for the back window so, it might be chopped more. I'm also going to channel it. I'm not running fenders, so if anyone wants them they're for sale. My next step in this project is to get the cab off of the old truck and start some mockup so I can cut my frame.

That is a 6.5" chop. I will have 9 inches of windshield, roughly.

As far as it being hard to see out of? Yes it will be. Basically from every angle (front, side, & rear -- I'm 6'1" too so that doesn't help).

I will need a very strategically placed rearview mirror. Also since its going to be short (93" wheelbase with a super shorty bed) and since my side mirror will be higher than my rear tire, the side mirror will be a lot of help too. Another problem you need to consider is how much your body tapers from rear to front. You might need a mirror that sticks out pretty far, I will, and I don't think I will be happy with the look of having a trailer-mirror sticking way out the side of the body, but oh well LOL.

I simply had to have a mailslot. The look is the best IMO.

'Blood: what are your front hair pins off of ?

Ford Twin !-Beam?
A tractor ?

---

Some cars mounted a small mirror off the top of the door.

Tractor! You got it!

No I'm kidding, Ford Twin I Beam.

I figured I am going to try and make these work, as they were free. They're beefy, and I think they look cool for what they are. Its funny, I am trying to do an old school set up with 60's parts :D

I don't mean to steal the thread here, but I assume no one has tried using these hairpins? If they have, please post under my build or PM with advice.

Thanks,
YB

Latest posts

Back