'45 Chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmcal

Ok, I posted some about this build over on KB. Figured I would put one here too. The cab is a '45 Chevy. Already done a 4" chop. It turned out good. The front axle is '54 Chevy with a Speedway disk brake conversion. Engine is a mid 80's small block Chevy with 350 turbo ($100, I love Craig's List). The rear end is going to be a 10 bolt out of a '77 Nova. The Nova is probably where the stearing column, driveline, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and whatever else I can use. I bought the Nova for $100 (I love Craig's List again :D ). Its got a running 250 6 cylinder and another 350 turbo. I bought the wheels and tires brand new. Planning on building a custom box for it. I have a grill that I am building out of the tops of the back doors of a '51 DeSoto. It looks good, but a bit large, I will have to size it down. Just ran through and totaled everything up so far, I have about $1750 in the project so far. I will try to post some pictures let me know what you think...

Ken

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 55
Do you have a title for it? It would have to be a military vehicle to be titled as a '45, as no civilian vehicles were produced between 1943-1945. First model year after the war was '46. Not saying it can't be possible, as I have a friend with a '45 Studebaker pickup that was a military vehicle with proper paperwork. Just a little info. Good luck with your project...

rockb1Here is some pictures of the chop in progress. Not very good pictures they were taken with my cell phone. I haven't figured out how to size them down yet from the camera. I will try to get some pictures of the engine, frontend, etc.

Blue Eyed DevilI don't have a title. I did find the registration though. It was on the stearing column. It says that it is a 1945 Chevy 1 1/2 ton. Maybe a typo or something. The registration is from 1953. If it was ever military there is no traces of it left. The paint that is left on the bottom of the rockers and inside the doors is red.

Ken

Attachments

• 0011.jpg
    0011.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 0012.jpg
    0012.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 0016.jpg
    0016.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 0017.jpg
    0017.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 43
Some more pictures.

Attachments

• 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 37
A little update: I got my frame mocked up, rear end mounted, I am going to go with coil overs, just cut the leaf springs off behind the mounting plate. I got my grill cut down, got some more welding to do on it. I haven't decided if I am going to go with a transverse or quarter ilepicals on the front (leaning heavy toward quarter ilepicals). The orignal plan was to slide out the front axle 10" further than it is now. Kick the frame up again. But I am kinda liking where the front axle is setting now. So I may have to cut the frame and z it further back. Just threw the Ford box on it I don't think it is going to stay. I am still on the fence, I think I am just going to build a box for it. I had a dash board out of an old '53 DeSoto lying around that I think I could build a cool visor out of. I will get some pictures of that if it works out. Anyway, here is a couple pictures of the mock up... Let me know what you think...

Ken

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 68
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 97
Looks great man! Your really moving on it.

Might I make a suggestion on your grill? Round off the top outside square corners and it will flow with the cowl line better. .02$

I've got my quarter elipticals mocked up. A lot more work then I thought it would be. I still got to finish welding it out and gusting along with the rest of the frame. I also got the coils locked up on the rear suspension. The suicide doors are on hold for right now. I found some old heavy walled metal and two DeSoto drive lines that I'm going to try to make a set of lake pipes out of. I'll let you know how that turns out. Here's some pictures of the quarter elipticals.

Ken

Attachments

• 60.JPG
    60.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 61.JPG
    61.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 62.JPG
    62.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 63.JPG
    63.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 46
Oh hey, I forgot to mention the rounding of the grill. I drew it out with soap stone, I think you guys are right it will look better. So just to let you know it is on the to-do list.

Ken

Ken,
I've built a rod with a similar front suspension. I think you will find your suspension to be very stiff and actually binding because the pivot points of the spring (the rear anchor point) and the locating bar are so different. The closer to the same length they are, the better the suspension will work. Just something to watch as you continue your build. Good luck with your project.

Bob: Thanks for the advice. The front suspension does seem a little stiff. I tried to get the angle of the hair pins and springs the same and they are close. If it don't work out I think I will go to a 4 link with coil overs.

A little Update: I haven't got much done because it has been raining here. I do have one of my pipes built and the other one purdy much mocked up. I think they are going to work out. A friend who owns a body shop in town, recently purchased a house 2 houses down from me (about a 1/2 mile) stopped by last night to check out my new project and BS. He mentioned that he had an old Chevy car laying out in a hole out at the back of his new place. I went down this morning to check it out. Near as I can tell, it is a '37 Chevy Master Deluxe 2 door. Purdy much complete minus engine, transmission, and front spindles. I picked up the grill today. I set it on the truck.... ME LIKES! :D He gave me the whole car. Probably be picking the rest of it sometime this summer. Here's a picture. Let me know what you think..

Ken

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back