454 question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougnDog

Hey guys. I have a good deal on a manifold I would like to run. But I don't know if it will work.[S My engine is a 454 5th gen with oval ports and I would like to run a older squire port Weiand (#5985) manifold? I believe my decks are short ones. any help you can give me will be appreciated. thanks Doug

Last edited:
Being a machinist I plan to fab inserts to taper the bore down from the squire to the oval. I will epoxy them in and polish them smooth. a lot of work but I have more time than money :rolleyes:
Ive decided that the 47 Ford that I'm building is going to cost a lot to run, (gas being $4.30 Gal) that I might as well go more for a hot rod than a driver.
I'm committed to the 454 so might as well make it wild:)
Thanks for the input

your lucky, i have a 89 model 454 with 79000 miles but mine has peanut heads, and i really don't want to change them till the motor needs a rebuild.

your lucky, i have a 89 model 454 with 79000 miles but mine has peanut heads, and i really don't want to change them till the motor needs a rebuild.

I have peanut heads, you can run oval intake on them no biggy, the peanuts are only about 2mm smaller. dosent hurt performance untill your running 5K+ rpms

IMO, seems fabbing up inserts for the intake would be more trouble than just opening up the first 3/4 to 1 inch of ports on heads. Would only take a couple of hours with carbide bit and high speed air tool. I have done this before there is enough meat there. Here is a picture of a set I fully ported that were oval and are now rectangle.(these were opened up to the max not just stock square port gasket)
053.jpg

This was a full on race port job tho, you could just open up the mouth of port.
Notice the brazing on left of picture above the port..I found out just how far I could go lol but the heads still worked fine.
I would just back the valves off and stuff a good cotton rag into port..and afterwords blow it out really good.
Maybe this gives ya another option, good luck :D

porting

Thanks for the info HoPA, greatly appreciated.[cl
I had thought about porting but didn't think there wasn't enough material, just wasn't sure......but now I know thank you Doug

Latest posts

Back