46 Ford rusty cab, my first build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while since I posted anything on here. Finally found a 46 Ford cab with doors and started working on it this weekend. Got about 90% of the rusty panels removed.
I have a 88 Ranger frame I was going to use for a stadium stock circle track truck but those toys got too costly too fast. The frame has been lowered down between the spring shackles and now sets about 6 inches off the ground w/o motor or trans.
If I do decide to use this frame I will have to 'C' notch the rear for clearance and 4 link it and also want to find a drop axles on the front and do away with the I-beam.
Still deciding on if I should 'Z' this frame or just start over and build a new one from 2X4X1/4.

Anyway here's a couple of pictures of what I got done this weekend. Any suggestions would be appreciated being this is my first build and I ain't got a clue.....:D

http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp67/crazyrat_01/th_DSCF0612.jpg
http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp67/crazyrat_01/th_DSCF0610-1.jpg
http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp67/crazyrat_01/th_DSCF0609.jpg
http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp67/crazyrat_01/th_DSCF0607.jpg
http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp67/crazyrat_01/th_DSCF0606.jpg
http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp67/crazyrat_01/th_DSCF0605.jpg

The top has to be replaced due to some major rust and about a zillion holes in it.

YOUR doing great...Main thing think things thru and don't be afraid to ask questions of everyone..Good luck..

update

Been some time since I posted anything. This past week finished building my welder stand and purchased a 75/25 tank for 50 bucks:D

Today made and tacked in a couple of patch panels, one for the filler spout and one for the cowl vent, wont need the cowl vent being this will be a roadster one day.

Thats about it for now.

God bless all and Merry Christmas

Attachments

• DSCF0717.jpg
    DSCF0717.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF0718.jpg
    DSCF0718.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF0719.jpg
    DSCF0719.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 97
It's been some time now since I have posted due to a computer crash. Been busy the last week or so on my build do I thought I would post a few photos of my progress. Again DougnDog was the one who inspired this build and the direction it is taking some I hope I have done you proud Doug.

I took a week of vacation after Christmas and got a few things done.
First I got my frame welded up.

In the first photo I followed the same pattern doug did when laying out and welding up the frame. Built the first one on the floor and then laid the second over it to be sure both came out the same. After being sure both were the same I move both to the table and square them by measuring from corner to corner and then secured them to the table before welding on ends and cross members.

In the second, third and fourth photo are the front cab corners also following Dougs lead here by removing the con-caved lower portions of the body and replacing with new metal giving about two more inches inside on both sides. As you can see there was more than enough rust to remove. So much I had to rebuild the frame work inside both corners. Next post will show the removal of the rain gutters and the body on the frame for the first fit.

Attachments

• DSCF0764.jpg
    DSCF0764.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF0755.jpg
    DSCF0755.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF0757.jpg
    DSCF0757.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0758.jpg
    DSCF0758.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
This was my first attempt at removing rain gutters but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I kinda expected the seam to separate but it didn't and it was very easy to stitch weld the seam and grind smooth.

After getting the body on the frame it fit a little tighter than I wanted so I will have to move the lower corner of the firewall back about an inches to allow for more clearance.

Attachments

• DSCF0761.jpg
    DSCF0761.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0763.jpg
    DSCF0763.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF0770.jpg
    DSCF0770.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF0773.jpg
    DSCF0773.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0774.jpg
    DSCF0774.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 101
I also work some on the cowl section and removed and replaced some metal there. Both sides are rusted through so I will have to rebuild them both. Got the left side just about done as you can see. Little more touch up grinding.

Also reinforced the back lower corners with some 1/4 round rod but no photos of that. Started building the floor frame also and will post a few photos of that build as I go along.

That's about it for now.

Again thanks Doug for allowing me to copy your build.

God bless

Attachments

• DSCF0771.jpg
    DSCF0771.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0772.jpg
    DSCF0772.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 79
Hey Ratcrazy
Good progress on your rod, your moveing right along. no need to praise my build:eek:, I only wanted to do is pass on the way I found to build my rod. it makes me real happy that you got some use out it. the guys on this site helped me along the way:) I'm thankfull for them.
I left 2" extra room between the "Z" to position the cab but when I put the mounts on I had the cab pushed fwd and did not think about engine componets. the last carb fuel line was 1/2" from the fire wall. had to knotch out the firewall. the bellhousing is a tight fit (1/2")on the firewall its ok because the engine does not move when running. you might want to check out clearnce on yours too. Have fun Man DougnDog

Frame

Ratcrazy
I was looking at your frame picts do you intend to fishplate the "Z" joints ?
I would recomend that you do with 1/4 plate at least on one side. for a smooth look frame you could grind flush the outside seam (assuming your weld got good penatraion) and fishplate the inside. just a thought
Doug

May be a overkill to use both a 90 degree bracket in the corners plus a fish plate but I want it strong. Only have the frame temporary welded at the moment. There are some places I am going reweld before I do any serious moving forward on it.

I am going to have to do some rework on the cab, firewall, now that I have the frame welded. The body rubs both front and rear on the frame so I am going to have to find some room somewhere to allow for paint:D.Looks like it will be easier to rework the firewall at the corners to gain the room I need. OK , its trial and error.......and I do make plenty of errors.....:eek:

Will keep you informed. Due to finances at the moment much of the work will have to be put on hold for about the next six months:mad:.

But life goes on.

about that rubbing issue. Im not exactly sure where you've got the rubbing going on, but a quick fix may be in the body mounts. Ya cant go wrong with hockey pucks w/ half inch holes drilled im em. A taller body mount may be all you need.

Trucks coming along real nice, good job.
-Joe

Dude, is that an old AM/FM 8-track player i spotted in the background? If it is YOU DA MAN! Thats what i have in my shop. I call it the ghost radio, because everytime you move a big chunk of steel or open the overheads the station changes.

kool truck

i,m working on a 42 got the floors in i was looking at some mags i got and saved them some were its a chop that they did on a truck it was a 2 part think it was rat rodz if you would like i will try to find it and send it 2 u let me no

Dude, is that an old AM/FM 8-track player i spotted in the background? If it is YOU DA MAN! Thats what i have in my shop. I call it the ghost radio, because everytime you move a big chunk of steel or open the overheads the station changes.

Sorry dude its not a 8 track but it is an old cassett with a turn table. Boy:rolleyes: 8 tracks, now that brings back memories........:D

May be a overkill to use both a 90 degree bracket in the corners plus a fish plate but I want it strong. Only have the frame temporary welded at the moment. There are some places I am going reweld before I do any serious moving forward on it.

I am going to have to do some rework on the cab, firewall, now that I have the frame welded. The body rubs both front and rear on the frame so I am going to have to find some room somewhere to allow for paint:D.Looks like it will be easier to rework the firewall at the corners to gain the room I need. OK , its trial and error.......and I do make plenty of errors.....:eek:

Will keep you informed. Due to finances at the moment much of the work will have to be put on hold for about the next six months:mad:.

But life goes on.

I know what you mean. It will be at least 3 months before i can get on with the '46 dodge..no job and no unemployment..Life's tough.
Good Luck
-M

hillbilly4008-I did score a brand new, still in the box, still in its original wrapper, never opened Audio Vox 8 track with AM/FM, get this, for 25 bucks:D. Oh yeah with head cleaner and demagnatizer too. Just need to score some old 50's/earlier 60's taped music now:rolleyes:

Rusty46-Found a Ford 9" with drive shaft and 4 15" steelies for a 100 this pass week.

The work is still on hold on the 46 for a while. Had to sale one of my saws to buy the rear end but hard to pass up that deal ya know.

Stay in touch and God bless

Finally decided on the theme of my build. Being a old Vietnam vet I am going to go in a military direction.
Yesterday I purchased a gallon of OD green paint, 24 bucks,
a gernade shifter knob, 7 bucks.
Also found me a set of buckets seats out of a 91 Econoline van for 15 bucks, 5 yards of camo material for the seat covers for free:D.
A Offenhauser 4bbl intake for my 230 six for 35 bucks which was a major find for me.
Got my head light buckets almost finished also this pass week.
Still looking for a floor shifter for the powerglide, any body have one let me know if its for sale.
Thats about it for now.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCF0822.jpg
    DSCF0822.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0808.jpg
    DSCF0808.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 47
I know what you mean. It will be at least 3 months before i can get on with the '46 dodge..no job and no unemployment..Life's tough.
Good Luck
-M

I can totally relate to the hard times. I'm sort of stalled on my build too. Just when things started looking up for me I got laid off. I did find another job but I'm not making near the $$$ that I used to and badly parts are gonna have to wait. Luckily I've got a couple of buddies that are going to throw some free labor my way doing some frame and suspension work. However, without $$$ to buy some hardware looks like the 51 won't be on the road for a good while yet.

Latest posts

Back