46 Pontiac 4 door

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few more pictures of the Pontiac, we have the Booster mounted too the firewall and the master mocked up (it will get painted black later). Started running the wiring to the front and rear. We are running it over head like the factory did and also running speaker wires on the other side. All the new light sockets have been Installed and trailer wiring as well for the customer.

50chevy096.jpg

50chevy098.jpg

50chevy103.jpg

50chevy104.jpg

50chevy105.jpg

Ive been so busy I have not had time to do updates but I'll post a few up.

I had a hard time finding a gas tank for the 46 so I decided to buy a new tank for a 41-48 chevy set up for EFI. I took the stock Pontiace frame brace and moved it in to match the Chevy tank. Now you can buy tanks for this thing. Then I made some straps and T-bolts to hold everything together. Next I made a gas filler neck so I can fill this thing up.
46pontiac172.jpg

46pontiac173.jpg

46pontiac175.jpg

46pontiac170.jpg

46pontiac169.jpg

46pontiac165.jpg

46pontiac176.jpg

Got the column cut down and finished today. Here is how I did mine, Im sure there are other ways but this worked out great for what I needed.

First I cut the stock column tube down and the steering rod.
46pontiac074.jpg

Next I bought a bearing for a go-kart axle for the bottom of my column. It measures 1 3/8 O.D. and the Inside hole is 3/4 so works great for steering rods.
46pontiac075.jpg

Next I ran a new ground wire for the horn. I even drilled the bottom of the column and used the stock bracket to hold the wire so it looks stock. Then I pressed In my bearing and made the end of my steering rod Into a DD rod so the New Joint would fit.
46pontiac077.jpg

46pontiac081.jpg

46pontiac080.jpg

Now with it on the car. All thats left is to make my new floor plate and line the bottom up.
46pontiac082.jpg

Do you remember where you got the bearing from?

BOYO, would I ever like to have that '8' for my Essex Rat. Whooooeee. BUT, I'm a long ways and a couple days from you. Going to be nice, love the car. Perley

Just found this thread and went thru from the start :)
Love the ol Ponchos, nice to see the GTO covers on the LS1
jP10+ylOfr0YBMKwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Jim

Yup pontiac in a pontiac. I did get the computer box made and mounted In place. Ran the wiring to the engine and installed new plug wire and polished the plug wire cover for a nice clean look. I know you cant see the wiring good in the pictures but that's the point right!!
46pontiac177.jpg

46pontiac184.jpg

46pontiac188.jpg

46pontiac187.jpg

46pontiac189.jpg

46pontiac190.jpg

46pontiac192.jpg

Sorry for the slow updates.
I have the fuel system done and In the car. I used AN fittings Pro Class Hose and Stainless Steel Lines to get the Job done. Also went with the 99 Vett Reg/Filter because it lets me have my return line at the back and have 60 psi for my ls1.
46pontiac195.jpg

46pontiac197.jpg

46pontiac199.jpg

46pontiac200.jpg

46pontiac202.jpg

46pontiac203.jpg

Got the New Classic Insturments along with all the stuff to make it work with a LS1.

46pontiac212.jpg

Here is the ls1 Oil pressure plate that has to be taped to be able to use a Oil gauge.
46pontiac213.jpg

46pontiac215.jpg

46pontiac217.jpg

And for the water the computer uses the driver side head, but on the passanger side if you take the plug out you can use this for your gauges insdie the car.
46pontiac210.jpg

Im also putting the battery in the trunk because there is not much room under the hood and it looks cleaner without it. Here is the start of my battery box Im making for the back.
46pontiac224.jpg

46pontiac225.jpg

46pontiac228.jpg

46pontiac229.jpg

Not much really to post but I did start making the feet to support my battery box. I also put the gauges in the new panel. I'll get better pictures after Thankgiving.
46pontiac232.jpg

46pontiac234.jpg

46pontiac236.jpg

Well I have a few more updates. I pretty much have the bulkhead for the a/c and heater fittings mocked up. Looks like everything is going to clear the computer just fine inside.
46pontiac238.jpg

46pontiac241.jpg

We are using a under dash unit because of the lack of room behind the dash. This is the slim line unit with defrost on it.
46pontiac242.jpg

I also had my guy at Griffin Radiators make me a custom Radiator. I took 3" off the top so it would not be in your face when the hood is open and took it from 2" think too 3" to make up the diffrents. Then Dual fans and trans cool on the bottom.
46pontiac247.jpg

Next was a custom A/C bracket that would let me use a Sandon 508 compressor in the stock location on a GTO LS1. Some cars cant use this setup because it push's the compressor out 3/4" into the frame, but the pontiac has the room.
46pontiac248.jpg

46pontiac250.jpg

46pontiac251.jpg

46pontiac254.jpg

Ok thats it for now.

Not too much got done this week because my dad is in the Hospital getting two new Knees, but the good thing is he's up and walking and just about to get to come home. I did get a few things done in between running back and forth.

I made a set of brackets to hold my a/c condenser in place, two at the top and two at the bottom.
46pontiac258.jpg

46pontiac260.jpg

46pontiac263.jpg

46pontiac261.jpg

I also finished running my A/C and heater hoses. I kept the A/C lines under the fender for a cleaner look and put the drier under the hood spring next to the fire wall. There was lots of room and keeps it clean. Now all I have to do is crimp them.
46pontiac266.jpg

46pontiac268.jpg

46pontiac269.jpg

46pontiac270.jpg

Latest posts

Back