48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bbn-lpgBGkKGrHqQH-CgEqszl1WnFBKw46zjWQ_12.jpg

The hauler looks damn nice. First time I have seen a larger pic ofit.

Thanks Todd. The F-2 is way more fun to drive - faster and corners like a go-cart, but the '53 Chevy just feels right. I drive it a lot more often - and it has a wider bed than my 2000 Chevy - just right for hauling the narrowed version of itself.

As the body gets smaller the wheels and motor get bigger :cool:

At Truckster's suggestion, I decided to use the tunnel to provide the structure to keep the front and back halves of the cab together. I found some 1/4 x 3 x 3 angle and some 1/4" wall 6" pipe. I split the pipe in half with the plasma.

1/8 wall 1 1/2 box tube is the start of the truss at the back of the cab.

Photo 3 you can see the original cab mount support - 18 or 19 gage and it is cracked where it attaches to the kick panel and not supported in the center.

Photo 4 -6 Change of plans. The front seat pan was probably in the wrong location anyway. I cut 1/4" notches in the box tube so it would be flush with the angle.

The top box tube gets cut away and the bottom brace will bolt up under the transmission - I hope.

The last is a paper template shoing the intended profile.

Attachments

• 1 Tunnel.jpg
    1 Tunnel.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 2  in floor.jpg
    2 in floor.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 3 front mount.jpg
    3 front mount.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 4 cut out.jpg
    4 cut out.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 5 kick up.jpg
    5 kick up.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 6 inside kickup.jpg
    6 inside kickup.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 7 brace.jpg
    7 brace.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 8 profile.jpg
    8 profile.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 126
I like the tunnel. Nice and beefy....you don't have to worry about a stray driveshaft coming through that!

The 3" radius also has a pleasant shape.

Last edited:
Wow! Simple, elegant, and beefy. Much better than what I was visualizing. I would be comfortable sitting next to that drive shaft now when (not if) you smoke the dualls.

Are you sure the 3/16" floors will hold up to the abuse?! [S JK. I like how simple yet elegent that the floor are coming out. nice job![cl

Thanks guys,

I have this mental picture of a crash where the body goes flying, but the floor and the seat are still sitting on the frame. I think the floor will only be 1/8 - don't have enough 3/16 around to do it.

The tunnel meets the firewall with a 16" radius. I'm on a mission today to build the 1/2 cone that goes from 6" to 16" out of 1/4" plate.
My fallback position is the Sam Fear method: cut the plate into little pieces, weld it back together and grind it to look perfect. Actually, that's the best plan I have at the moment.

So far the floor and tunnel has all been done with measurements - I'm going to be really torqued if it doesn't fit. I hope the actual tranny I get is the same size as the mock -up case. (I'd hate to end up with a Powerglide)

Tunnel

The tunnel needs a little more work, but it's close.

Attachments

• DSC02087.jpg
    DSC02087.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC02093.jpg
    DSC02093.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02094.jpg
    DSC02094.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC02095.jpg
    DSC02095.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 98
My fallback position is the Sam Fear method: cut the plate into little pieces, weld it back together and grind it to look perfect.

Well, I'm flattered, but you kinda lost me on the 'perfect' part. :eek: That looks great, and about as strong as you can get!

Are you planning a tour of Kandahar? Afganistan maybe? Because I think your floor is bomb rated! And it looks good too!:D

Are you planning a tour of Kandahar? Afganistan maybe? Because I think your floor is bomb rated! And it looks good too!:D

No, but I am planning on taking it to Apache Junction - almost the same thing.

Sam, I certainly didn't get it perfect, but your build gave me permission to make the tranny tunnel in small pieces instead of tyiing to make it in one or two. Now, If I had some lead I could get it perfect... Or maybe all I need is some carpet.

Careful on those AJ aspersions!

Understanding that the tunnel is all that really reinforces the relationship between the cowl/firewall and back of the cab, AND realizing that this is a TRUCK drive line pushing a Rockwell rear axle and that that thing spinning within inches of your bod, AND realizing that the alternative is to use a tubular frame for the tunnel with sheetmetal skin, which takes up a lot more room......

I would say it is built just about right. Great design and even better implementation. Don't know why so many are commenting on the sturdy construction and mass. It is a truck.

But....please, no carpet. Leave the metal work visible. OK, maybe some pink shag.

Pink shag? I was thinking red shag to match the wheels - it will probably fade to pink soon enough.

I figure there is about 1200 pounds of unsprung weight in the rear - axle, wheels, tires and brakes. So, to improve the sprung to unsprung ratio I need to add sprung weight. The extra thick tunnel just improves the ratio - in fact the more wieght the better - right?. I" plate for the bed floor?

thats it! then you can take your exceptional fab skills on the road. use the bed as the fab table! Maybe get a reality TV deal in the process.....;)

Yeah, It can carry a torch a and forge. Instead of a fire truck that puts out fires it could be a firetruck that MAKES fire.

Latest posts

Back