'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[S[S[S:confused: Uh let's see, you already had one (along with that Chevy light) and you got these off eBay.........that makes you having three right? So spill the beans man, what are ya gonna do with four tail lights [S [P[P

POSTING FOUL: over use of smilies in one post. 5 post penalty.

Anyhoo.... If I do section the body, the rear fenders will stick out farther than the trunk looking like fins. I don't care for the fin look, so my solution would be to extend the fender bulges in toward the trunk and use 2 lights on each side. (I can see it in my mind)

Note to self: I checked the engine codes finally - the block was out of a 78 Impala or Caprice. 170hp.

Not too much going on that's picture worthy. I got the front step plates (under the door bulges) back on and all the chrome back on. Went on vacation for 2 weeks, but came back and started driving it to work. (Had to move my truck after a week and the hood looks soooo short on it now)

Found the front tires were tearing at the fenders when I turned, so bent the wheel well lips under better and decided to put my RRR sticker (Thanks Tripper) on the rear window, but decided it was too small - I think I put it on the dash.

And I put a poll up - so far everyone says I like coolest cruisin' with my elbow out - very important stuff ya know! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I've been thinking about washing it (I never have except for where I weld). I am torn - the dirt adds a certain patina that I'll never get back. Undecided....
IMGP9888a.jpg

attachment.php

OK, so the poll is up about the sectioning, so lets see some photo shop[P
Would be neat to take it outa the body and not those beautiful front fenders, like a few inches between the top of the rear fenders and the rear window forward. I would just hate to see those fenders made smaller.
So who is the photo shop guy here?

OK, so the poll is up about the sectioning, so lets see some photo shop[P
Would be neat to take it outa the body and not those beautiful front fenders, like a few inches between the top of the rear fenders and the rear window forward. I would just hate to see those fenders made smaller.
So who is the photo shop guy here?

Uh...that was already the plan from page one.
attachment.php

The body is sectioned, but not the fenders. Now I don't think I'd go near that far though. Probably 2" or so.

Great minds (or maybe fools) think alike?

POSTING FOUL: over use of smilies in one post. 5 post penalty.

Dang! I'm always getting into trouble:mad: ........:eek:hey wait a minute, technically only two of them are smiling :D

Anyhoo.... If I do section the body, the rear fenders will stick out farther than the trunk looking like fins. I don't care for the fin look, so my solution would be to extend the fender bulges in toward the trunk and use 2 lights on each side. (I can see it in my mind)

I get ya, sounds like a cool touch [cl[cl
I gotta admit I'm torn on the section thing but like everyone else has said, "Sam can do it"

Carry on good sir:cool: [P[P

Uh...that was already the plan from page one.
attachment.php

The body is sectioned, but not the fenders. Now I don't think I'd go near that far though. Probably 2" or so.

Great minds (or maybe fools) think alike?

OOP's sorry, got ahead of myself but thats because I have no mind left:rolleyes:

You are right thats just a bit to much all the way around. The hood is about gone in those shots. Thats alot of work, you got some big'ns to tackle it should you choose to do so. We still need some new photo shop:p

I'm not seeing the section. I like the sinister look with the massive body and chopped roof. The sectioned pic (even though it's more than you're planning) seems to make it look more feminine.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will look great.

no section

Hey Sam_Fear

I think you need to change your name to "Sam_Fearless". To do what you have done so far is just amazing.
I would say dont section it. From the pictures that I have seen it looks pretty cramped as it is with the chopped top you did to it earlier....Can you really see yourself driving this car any distance and still be able to get out of the cockpit of it and walk around without be all bent over from the ride???
Maybe I am just too practical thats all.
My 2 cents thats all
MikeC

Since there has been some discussion about my possible sectioning the Olds.... I'm starting to think a section won't ever happen. I have no problem with removing a few inches from the sides, but I'm not too happy with what I had figured for the rear and am still iffy on the front. But for now it's all moot because this winter is finish up and clean up work so a section wouldn't happen for another winter. So no worries for awhile.;)

I think it's pretty much done except for the fit and finish. Nothing left to do but F' it up lol

In carpentry I have to learn the zone at which point if I continue to mess with something I'm going to have to start completely over.

C'mon who hasn't felt there was some point at which Michael Jackson should have stopped. Think about the trans gendered folks that looked better as handsome men than ugly women...
Did I ever mention the time I should have just asked for the raise instead of showing the boss how much money he was making?
...Remember the last time you ripped one fart too many? [ddd

Cope Acetic. having struggled and achieved some degree of success. Or in other words, there is no such thing as perfection.

I'm going to make a stand and say I'm calling it good as far as dimensions profile and stance goes. Hell It's damn near famous

Last edited:
I think Torchman is right. I've done the same thing too; spending a ton of time and effort chasing "perfection" only to end up disappointed because it was better to begin with. Personally, I wouldn't section your car, I think the lines and proportions are dead on. Just my $0.02. :D

I think Torchman is right. I've done the same thing too; spending a ton of time and effort chasing "perfection" only to end up disappointed because it was better to begin with. Personally, I wouldn't section your car, I think the lines and proportions are dead on. Just my $0.02. :D

I noticed you elaborated and didn't just say "I think Torchman is right. I've done the same thing too".

That would be too open ended of a comment to leave laying around with me in the room [cl

Good thing I have a link to this build in my signature or I would never found it!

Starting to work on stuff again, so time for an update.

Replaced the too small leaky 85 Cutlass radiator that didn't fit with a new 66 Mustang radiator that's probably still too small, but at least it fits. And I made a lower deflector shield and cut down the upper shield to fit.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Also got my taillight installed so I now have a matched set! Have done some small stuff too, found a radio face, worked out my gauges, and relocated my air-horn.
attachment.php

:( After I got my radiator and shields in, I shut my hood to check that it still latched OK. Well, the release cable had slipped out of the mechanism. Couldn't open the hood. Couldn't reach from underneath, shield in the way. Couldn't raise the car, the battery was disconnected. Couldn't connect the battery, hood was shut! :mad: Finally had to use my garage air to fill the air-ride and borrowed my trucks battery to flip the switches. 1-1/2 hrs just to re-open my hood!!!! :eek::mad:

Attachments

• IMGP3024a.jpg
    IMGP3024a.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 210
  • IMGP3026a.jpg
    IMGP3026a.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMGP3031a.jpg
    IMGP3031a.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 214

Latest posts

Back