48 Plymouth

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebox

Here is the new build .It is for the wife. After I started driving the truck she said she wanted a rat rod too. The way it worked out was pretty cool . we looked on Craig's list and found a car down by Detroit she likes .But it sold before I could get my truck tranny rebuilt so I could drive down and get it. Last Saturday I stopped at a guys house to talk to him about a trans-am he had out behind his place .(for the boy) I then asked him about the old car he had back there . he said the first person to show up with $1000.00 can take it home. So I went back and checked it out . I is in pretty good shape. I took some pics with my phone and showed them to the wife. She loved it . She loves the color green and it is green. Sunday after church we stopped and looked at it. She was in love . she said lets get it . I told her she needed to sell her old 97 blazer .She came home and cleaned it up and took a bunch of pictures of it so I could put it on Craig's list. I put it on their Sunday night. It sold for full asking price Monday at 4:00 PM. So I went over and paid for here new car that night. I went over Wednesday and picked it up. It was only about 5 miles from our house.Now the real work begins. I want to put a better front end under it. Something with power steering and power brakes. Have any of you guys ever worked on one of these ? I can use all the help I can get .
IMG_1034_zpsh7bho3mc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1033_zpsbxoklu7i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've worked on a couple many moons ago and yes, the front end would need to go for serious modern day traffic. Do dome measuring and see if a chevy C10 will fit. Get a disc brake one from a 71-72 and they unbolt as a whole unit. Maybe the 73-87 does too. I guess the rear end will be ok if you are keeping the flat head 6 but those old rear ends are pretty cheesy too.

FalconVan & I (possibly among others) are also members on a forum dedicated to this era of MoPar vehicles. Just search for P15 D24, and it should come up.

In reference to the front end, you will find lots of info there about switching to dual master cylinder with front disk brakes there. The suspension on MoPar vehicles of this era is actually very advanced in comparison to other makes, and there is no big reason to do a frame clip on one of these. (Steering sector clearance with V8s is a known issue.) There are various options for converting to front disks with the original spindles. The one biggie is that the upper shock mount is on the upper control arm, and there are threads there about how to move it to the frame for better shock action. Also, if you upgrade the drivetrain, you will need to switch the rearend as well, because the handbrake is on the transmission.

Great car! I have a 48 2dr coupe I'm building for my wife, too. Ford Explorer disc brakes can be made to work on these very easy without breaking the bank. I look forward to watching it come together!

Sam
The interior is complete except for a few broken knobs. The front armrests look like they melted
There is no chop planed. The wife likes it how it is. Plus I don't think I have the ability to do it right.
IMG_1049_zpsefpuygiu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The only thing I don't like about that series of MoPar's is the rear wheel wells. They just look odd, they mess up the flow of the rest of the cars lines. I have seen a few opened up to match the fronts that looked much better than the factory opening. Just my two cents....:D[ddd

Rare that I disagree with Willowbilly, but this would be one of those times...

With a few minor upgrades the P-series front suspension is VERY capable of modern road duties. It was actually quite advanced for it's time, and the things needed to bring it to updated status are very readily available. No need to hack up what you already have for no real gains. Swap to disc brakes, relocate the shock mounts and use drop spindles if you wish. The cavalier R&P steering swap is also easy and well documented. You will be pleasantly surprised with the performance, it will be safe for your wife and it will be much easier for a novice skill set...

Torchie
I will post some pics of the truck soon.
I also plan on putting a 454 into the plymouth. I already have it so I won't be out any money . Plus the motor has a great sound . I will need to figure out some headers for it.

Torchie
I will post some pics of the truck soon.
I also plan on putting a 454 into the plymouth. I already have it so I won't be out any money . Plus the motor has a great sound . I will need to figure out some headers for it.

Cool.
Is that the engine you got out of the jet boat?????:cool:
Torchie

I have a 49 two door if you need any parts Lmk. If I ever get to it I'm going to build a type of race car out of it so the suspension parts are available also.

One more thing, check the bottom of the engine cradle area. I've had a couple of these cars that was rust free but the frame was rotten at the bottom of the cradle.

Torchie
Yes it is the engine that came out of the jet boat. I need to find some headers for it. I came home from work today and started some measuring to see if stuff will fit. The 454 is a wide one. I will have to alter the inner fenders a lot. But it will fit front to back . I will be running a auto tranny . Not sure about the steering column and wheel yet. It would be a lot easier to just use a chevy tilt column .

I have been doing some research . I found some disc brake kits that don't brake the bank. I am still trying to find more info on the cavalier rack and pinion . I found a turbo 400 tranny for it and I am trying to talk to some people about a junked out 95 explorer they have in their front yard . I spoke to a guy at our near by junk yard. He said they would only pay the people $80.00 for it. So I think I can get it pretty cheep . The plan is to use the rear axle ,brake peddle assembly ,and booster /master cylinder.

Latest posts

Back