49 chevy truck booger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you weren't running the actuator without it attached to the box. If you did it is now junk. Always have it on the box so it doesn't go willy nilly and break itself....[P

no worries, I am too lazy to bench test anything. :haha: it was mounted and working in the truck

well I finally got to trying to drill out the pinion yoke, the drill bit went right through the "broken bolt", it was packed in dirt as hard as concrete. none of the other holes would let a bolt thread more than a couple turns, so the threads are still packed. I am going to pick up a tap tomorrow at the yard.

and I dont have any pictures of it because.
IMG_9730_zpsr8io2xhq.jpeg

I went ironically to the att store to get my 18 yr old daughter a new phone, she has had the same one since she got a phone 3 years ago. I took my 3 year with me and she has been wanting to climb in the car on her own for a couple weeks, so I let her, but her foot got stuck. I set my phone on the roof to help her and immediately forgot about it. halfway home I remembered, turned around and it was doing its best impression of a road reflector in the middle of the intersection I turned left at. thuthump thuthump.

oh twell! haha I havent done anything stupid for a while. hubris! apple will "fix your old one" for a fixed rate. I looked into having it fixed local and almost did, till they told me the touch id fingerprint sensor would never work ever again. apple repair was within 20 dollars of the local shop, and it will be here tomorrow.

I did get the garage swept. there are at least 5 wolf spiders in there keeping me clear of crickets and stinkbugs and everything else. They bounced at me till they realized I wasnt going to roust them, then just hung out and watched me sweep.

IMG_0003_zps9yvqvijx.jpg

I dont mind them, wolf spiders are bros, they do more good than harm (which is none, you can pick them up carefully like tarantulas) they dance when you startle them as a warning, but then they settle down and lay completely flat waiting for a bug to run by.

got the seat in and the mounting done, painted up the seat riser to match. you can see what an exact color match the paint is now, and I have matching carpet for the floor too.
IMG_0017_zps0v0zsz91.jpg

IMG_0027_zpsuipzkeam.jpg

it may look like overspray on the floorpan and it is, but there is method to the madness, the paint through the holes showed exactly where to drill. tomorrow I will bond the trans tunnel in, I thought about keeping it a screw in but I cant forsee a need to remove it, and removing the carpet to get it out would be as much a pain in the butt as anything. after the carpet I will finish up some interior stuff and move on to the bed.

thanks!

I bonded the trans cover in. my reasoning was the only thing I would be doing under there is nothing.
IMG_4209_zpselvv43lx.jpg

while I waited for that to tack, I also filled the 30/30 and .40 holes in the roof. I wanted to leave the impressions but not the holes
IMG_4208_zpseaoznywf.jpg

then I welded in the seat studs with big fender washers under the cab to keep them from pulling through.
IMG_4210_zpslrlyfe9v.jpg

I hate upholstery work but in the words of George Costanza "Why should I pay, when if I apply myself, maybe I could get it for free?". I started laying out the mass backing
IMG_4211_zpssyjejqpp.jpg

IMG_4212_zpsttgqogfl.jpg

then I transferred the pattern to the carpet, cut it and laid it
IMG_4213_zpsqc1cjaet.jpg

then seat on the studs, perfect fit, and thats that.
IMG_4214_zps5aox78gp.jpg

never be afraid of anything, that was what my dad said. if you try and fail you still did better than everyone who never tried and just talked about it.

got the driveshaft hooked too after tapping the yoke. there was some junk in there let me tell you.
IMG_4215_zpskszpb4t1.jpg

then I bonded the inner felts on, the zipties are just to let it set. I got some stuff I like even more than the liquid nails, I forget the name but this stuff bonds like something I have never seen before.

IMG_4216_zpsdesle0fq.jpg

more good news tomorrow!

I spent all day yesterday on the front end, replacing the shock bushings, leveling the springs, bleeding the brakes (they didnt bleed, master wasnt pumping fluid).

found out why the lines were dry

IMG_4218_zpsfqiaep5v.jpg

replaced the master and it was dry too.

went to cardboard freight today for a pressure bleeder. I always get the crappy cashier who wont honor coupons, so I paid full pop retail, oh well. I did pick up a couple moving blankets to cover the seat and carpet while I finish stuff. I was getting a lot of air bubbles, the rear lines didnt bleed at all for a while and then when they finally did (only way it pulled fluid was with the cap on) it was rust colored for a while.

pedal feels good, fixed the lean (cut a 1/8th coil off the passenger side, no judgements please, the s10 lean is a real thing) replaced the upper shock mounts, actually they werent bad just had a couple pieces flake off. I would drive it but the gallon I put in there has evaporated.

IMG_4230-1_zps4caykflj.jpg

level finally
IMG_4228_zps8ri5twsq.jpg

went and got some gas. the filler was overflowing when I put the first gallon in and the internet said the evap valve was plugged. I pulled it loose and blew through it and viola, fixed. I went for a very dark cruise haha.

IMG_4232-1_zpswpqttcyh.jpg

notice that it is facing the opposite way, this is the first time I didnt have to grunt my fat ass to push spin the truck around in the driveway. quite a moment. I let it get warm and gave it the beans, it runs like a swiss watch. I must have been quite a sight, no door, no bed, no lights except runners, wild eyed.

when I got back I had enough euphoria left to flip the carcoal canister. funny story, since I swapped frames from an 03 to an 84, obviously it didnt have the mounting holes for the charcoal canister, so I held it where the lines looked right and drilled holes. then I looked at putting the bed on and realized it stuck up way to far and the bed would need a brace cut and some more work on lowering the canister as much as I could. well, when I was looking at the cleaning instructions for the evap valve, I noticed I put the thing on upside down.:rolleyes: so I drilled a couple new holes, wow look at all the room now
IMG_4231_zpsdurm30xi.jpg

must be something in the water, get out your fishing rods, I am a doom bass. :lol:

might get the bed on tomorrow, and the drivers door, although I like having the door off to do all the trim and wiring so maybe not yet. I looked pretty seriously at wiring the headlights while the wheels were off, but I need the three prong harnesses.

it wasnt a fluke, I backed it out of the garage today!

I am getting pretty good at muscling the bed on by myself.
IMG_4286_zpsqfmcs49i.jpg

the goal of today was running boards. but before running boards I had to mount the fenders, before mounting fenders there was repairing the front edge of the fenders where the running board mounts up, before repairing the fenders there was mounting the bed, before mounting the bed though I had to mount the gas filler.

working backwards, I changed the angle on the filler neck.
IMG_4297_zps3iti4wfk.jpg

cut the hole
IMG_4299_zpsrtxxsclh.jpg

mounted!
IMG_4309_zpsxhgfujwb.jpg

repaired fender fronts, this one was really bad, torn out and lots of damage
IMG_4301_zpssmj5v2nh.jpg

fenders on, starting to mount.
IMG_4304_zpscltecutf.jpg

maybe tomorrow I will get the running boards mounted. haha

Last edited:
yeah after the mock up/blow it apart stage this is the most visually exciting, bolting on all the stuff you already know fits!

had to pull in today, storms tonight and I didnt want to be rushed. I used a c clamp to hold the running board up in the front, it worked so well I considered welding it in there and calling it good :lol: just kidding.

I was tight in the front to the workbench without the bed so I rearranged to move the workbench to the left side of the garage and get the truck on stands (see you cant even see the c clamp)
IMG_4313_zpshk9jtrbs.jpg

IMG_4314_zpssa5gjsff.jpg

"ima precisional instrument of speed and aromatics"
49721322054__3135C69D-2C98-45BC-A9A8-4C104CB8FA57-1_zpsnlb0najl.jpg

for real mounted now, I cheated and used the factory mounts cut down, I had a pair that were torched off that almost fit perfectly, and you know me by now, waste not want not.
IMG_4317_zpsjvbt1omr.jpg

IMG_4318_zpsumanhvox.jpg

passenger side done
IMG_4319_zpsrsoahihi.jpg

IMG_4320_zpscu2vw1ba.jpg

you can see here how that torn up fender came out pretty good, most of the damage is hidden
IMG_4321_zpsjocalc7e.jpg

the left front fender had a big dent at the bottom and a big gap to the running board, I almost thought the running board was mounted to far back. my big c clamp took care of the dent though
IMG_4323_zpsy77wrneo.jpg

I need to put some straps on the rear of the fenders, they are wiggly. also, I didnt use a third mount at the back but I can see I need to. I think I will design a brace that picks up the three fender to running board bolts because the spring hanger is in the way.

I started taking the wheels off to do lights and decided enough for today. more tomorrow

I didnt make it to lunch thursday, I pulled all the wheels planning to get everything inside the fenders buttoned up so that when I put the wheels back on, they never needed to come off again. I started by replacing the motor mount bolts. I went to two box stores and neither stocked 7/16 fine nuts, which is what the original motor mount bolts were, the nuts misplaced when dismantling. at the second store I wised up, the towers were capable of holding a 1/2" bolt so I just ponied up for new 1/2" hardware, which was nice too because the original bolts were 2-3" longer than the mounts.
IMG_4325_zpsmljf9zd3.jpg

I wired the drivers headlight, I am using an H4 (low beam only) for the low beam and an H3 fog as the high beam. the 98+ s10 has separate high and low bulbs and because of the variable ground situation that made me spend 5 hours rewiring the 47 last year, this allowed me to keep 4 discrete wires instead of kludging for the 3 prong headlight. this lights also have a "city" bulb, which I wired to the marker bulb, and it will flash alternately with the turn signals.
IMG_4327_zpsksm2z4wq.jpg

I repeated the process for the passenger side and...
49729326359__9ECA2064-71FF-463C-8ED1-EC4D121A9F48_zpsqhparzyv.jpg

notice that the passenger bulb is not on. great. more headlight troubleshooting. I wasnt excited about it, so I worked on the bed instead. I took apart that flatbed I bought for parts and started laying out boards.

IMG_4368_zpssqzb3bth.jpg

IMG_4369_zps7pw5x5gh.jpg

IMG_4370_zpsvqemtw7b.jpg

should work sweet. when I put the angle at the front they should line right up.

49766621445__350407A5-90A4-43A8-80D0-F1553CAE63AD_zpsbisimbwf.jpg

not bad for $30 and a couple zips with the grinder. beat the rain too.
IMG_4366_zps1dx70wau.jpg

That was friday, I got back on it today. the headlight + (high and low) wires float at 12v when the engine is on, so first step was to verify the power. nice 12v at each bulb, no ground when the lights are turned on though. according to the schematic the grounds have a junction at the underhood distribution. oh geeze. I took apart two trucks in the same time period, is it possible I mixed up the underhood distribution? I did some bar code scanning and some GM parts lookup and all I know is my gut says "maybe".
IMG_4377_zpslsrqubh0.jpg

but then I realized I was being stupid, and trying to throw parts at a problem. I knew for certain I had sequestered the two distribution blocks and had installed the correct one. I instead focused on the wiring and realized that the low beams share a common ground wire. obviously it didnt matter where my problem was in the harness or the distribution, all I needed was to jump one to the other. so I did
IMG_4383_zpsjedilske.jpg

then I installed the drivers taillight and plate holder
IMG_4385_zpsue8f5vls.jpg

I did some other stuff like zip tying all the loose harnesses, and protecting the tranny lines from abrasion, they run next to the new motor mount. I got some gasket material to protect the back of the headlights from stones, but I ran out of screws. more soon

thanks for reading along!

so what I figured out today is I get the dummy of the week award. I got the taillights installed and the brake lights didnt work. ok. I had the flasher relay out (water damaged one on the 47) so maybe that was it. new flasher relay (two trips, got the wrong one, their fault) didnt fix it. hazard switch didnt work. maybe the mutifunction switch is bad? good thing I have a spare. I took off the steering wheel, unscrewed it, separated the harnesses and went to unscrew the connector.

it was loose. I only put it together loosely, never tightened it. no idea how the truck started and ran (its the ignition switch connector too) but that explains why it wouldnt start the other day. sigh. dummy of the week, the trophy is total enlightenment on my deathbed, so I got that going for me.

anyway, I got the passenger taillight installed. I didnt have a passenger bracket though, and making one would have looked new, and buying one same thing and bowtie bits was ALL THE WAY ACROSS town and it was a bank holiday anyway. couldnt I figure this out myself?

sure. that bed in the driveway had an original bracket on it.
IMG_4387_zpsfwmtcs3h.jpg

IMG_4388_zpsrxcpiyvx.jpg

"but its two lefts russ" I hear you say (my name is russ, not joe by the way) "how will that help?"

well, you drill out the rivets and flip the bracket over 180 degrees.
IMG_4389_zpshefxj65p.jpg

IMG_4390_zpswgswbnrl.jpg

bam
IMG_4391_zps5vi20ars.jpg

IMG_4392_zpszdz2o1ta.jpg

everything works now! except the damn DRL. I can never seem to figure out how to make the DRLs work, I love that dull glow. maybe tomorrow I will work on that.

I did other stuff, got that small brace on the rear of the running boards, worked perfect, very solid now. jump up and down solid. tightened the ET nuts on the front spacers (only 3 were finger tight! lesson from the dash connector learned, no dummy award next week), installed the rear spacers. need an overflow tank installed (I have it) and an air filter installed for some cruisin.

I didnt put up pictures of my rear running board braces but here they are.

I intended to bolt them to the frame but on the drivers side the inside of the frame had the gas tank crossmember so I button welded them through the bolt hole instead. still bolt to the fender/running board. have the joggle in them to clear the fender lip
IMG_4410_zpsem7ikkzq.jpg

IMG_4411_zpsvapx9en0.jpg

SUPER strong. I even took the running board back off today to fix the filler neck (tried to put gas in and it poured on the floor) so I welded up the drivers running boards super duper
IMG_4409_zpsnc5ayyho.jpg

then I tightened up all the bolts, installed the wheels, and caught the last of the sun

IMG_4415_zpsdkmtpik0.jpg

IMG_4416_zpsgd1ui1tu.jpg

still no door haha.
IMG_4419_zps2lhzxzbc.jpg

IMG_4421_zpsbegwftqa.jpg

oh, and as I was pulling out I saw what I thought was the sunset on the front wall of the garage. which was weird because the sun was already under the treeline.

IMG_4421_zpsbegwftqa.jpg

THE DRL'S! I forgot that on a 2003 they dont come on till the truck is in gear. look at that perfect old timey glow.
IMG_4424_zpstxf8rd3l.jpg

IMG_4428_zpsjvsbtl9k.jpg

looks super low in the grass but has lots of ground clearance. you can build your truck however you like but I like setting the frame up in the body a bit, free drop
IMG_4434_zpsw8iennrr.jpg

got another 41 grille today, when I saw the ad the upper grille looked chrome so I drove the 40 miles and it was white paint. I bought it because it was a long drive to go home empty handed.
IMG_4435_zpshunxiivk.jpg

he had some internationals he was working on.
IMG_4400_zpse2lhosvx.jpg

IMG_4395_zps7w0ildn6.jpg

The truck is looking great [cl
You would never know about all the modern stuff, just looks like a cool old truck that's lowered. :D

thats what I am going for! I love the look of an old truck, especially how everyone gets out of your way because they know you have NOTHING TO LOSE haha. but smelling like gas and exhaust, freezing your junk off, driving on the highway at 3k rpm like AAAAAAAAAAAAAA, not really my thing.

I left the truck outside so I would have room to work and think in the garage. 10% chance of rain, pretty safe to leave the door off, NOPE

ofcourse_zpsgqnxuaoq.gif

thunder woke me up, almost nothing I could do except throw a couple big towels over the opening. opening the garage door and pulling in would have woken everyone, the garage is under the bedrooms.

its supposed to rain again tonight and I am still putting the gauges together, so I think I will pop the door on temporarily (just bottom hinge in the hole, latch the door) rather than trusting towels again haha

EDIT

IMG_4443_zps2tsltmle.jpg

better roll up... the...

window
IMG_4444_zpszndhljno.jpg

a little hard to roll up the window still on the shelf. haha

keep-calm-doom-bass-_zps3ffl21jo.png

working on the gauges I needed some gap filling super glue, and the hobby store I usually go to is closed on thursdays. only on thursdays? isnt that a strage day to be closed? so I went to the other hobby store and of course they had a thomas the train display and my oldest employee insisted
49808195807__317B132A-0636-4A51-B50B-4C1E392EB981_zpsu7bbkr3k.jpg

but the glue is good!
IMG_4445_zpskzprdigq.jpg

IMG_4446_zpszmzsrcj5.jpg

Latest posts

Back