49 Coronet suspension replacement

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SapperJoe

I am having to rebuild the front crossmember/frame on my coronet, and am looking for some input. We have a 76 Pinto waiting to be cut up, as well as a 50 F1 frame. My question is this: Which would be a better choice for a suspension replacement? The F1 frame has stock I-beam front susp. while the pinto has, well you know. The Coronet has an independent front suspension stock, but I think it is tweaked beyond re-usage. Any input?

Coronet's stock susp.

Attachments

• 100_0972.jpg
    100_0972.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 19
I'd only go straight axle if you plan to make it a gasser. Otherwise fix what you have or clip in another IFS. Pay attention to where the power steering box is located.

It depends on how much money you have and how much work you are up to. I think if it was my ride, knowing my budget and abilities, I'd do a sub-frame graft. Sub frames can be had pretty reasonably around here. Or even consider a S10 frame swap is inexpensive.

I'm up for fabrication. That isn't an issue. I am leaning more towards the pinto's suspension so I can get that car out of here. I think I might be able to fix what is on there, however, though I have to pull the motor and see the extent of the rust.

Latest posts

Back