49 Dodge 'Pilothouse' Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefWarrant

Just purchased her yesterday. Waiting until next week to bring her home but I'm starting the build thread now!

This is my first project/build EVER so I apologize in advance for any novice questions I may throw at you all.

-Chief

Attachments

• Dodge Pilothouse 2.jpg
    Dodge Pilothouse 2.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Dodge Pilothouse 3.jpg
    Dodge Pilothouse 3.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Dodge Pilothouse 4.jpg
    Dodge Pilothouse 4.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Dodge Pilothouse 5.jpg
    Dodge Pilothouse 5.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Dodge Pilothouse 6.jpg
    Dodge Pilothouse 6.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Dodge Pilothouse 7.jpg
    Dodge Pilothouse 7.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Dodge Pilothouse 8.jpg
    Dodge Pilothouse 8.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Dodge Pilothouse 9.jpg
    Dodge Pilothouse 9.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Dodge Pilothouse 10.jpg
    Dodge Pilothouse 10.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Dodge Pilothouse 1.jpg
    Dodge Pilothouse 1.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 54
Man that is one solid looking truck! You almost never find a bed that nice. :eek:
Did you get him down from the 1,700 ? It looks like a good deal either way. [cl
Looking forward to watching this build. :cool:
[P[P[P

There are some area's on the truck that are just immaculate. I think as far as barn finds go this is one of the better ones.

He was pretty firm on the price but agreed to delivery the truck to my house for free so I made the deal.

ask

ask away:confused:

looks real solid, the extra couple hundred $$'s he wouldn't budge on will be recouped in not having to do a lot of rust repair.

what is the plan[S

same bed/fenders and interior as mine.

when it is done it will be one of only a few around and you will LOVE driving it[cl

subcribed[P

good job on the pics, please keep them coming.

Later:cool:

Last edited:
Welcome from New Mexico.
Nice solid old Dodge! If I had found that much in that good shape, I would have gone a different direction with my build. But then I didn't look very hard or very long. What's your plan?

ideas

here is a few l really like, food for thought and a good link, for more info search pilothouse truck and a lot of info is out there.

http://p15-d24.com/

Later:cool:

Attachments

• dodge truck at Pigeon_Forge_Rod_Run_2013.jpg
    dodge truck at Pigeon_Forge_Rod_Run_2013.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 43
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 25
My Plan...The Hardest Question To Answer

You guys have asked me my plan for this build and I wish I could tell you that I had this entire project thought out from start to finish....but I can't. Truth of the matter is I can't make up my mind which direction to go. My mental road block is the condition of the truck. I know for a fact that it will never be a fully original show quality restoration. I also know that it won't be a true rusty rat rod either. So I have to try and land somewhere in the middle.

Skull - the pics you attached in your last post, my eye was immediately drawn to the that beige and chrome one first but that would require too much time and money. I want to get this truck running and on the road. I want to have fun with this truck, go to my local VFW car show every Friday night and any other event I can get to. If a rock kicks up and hits it I don't want it tied up in the shop for weeks fixing it because it's too perfect. You guys know what I mean?

So all I know is my "plan" at this moment is to focus on the rolling chassis first. Frame - clean it up, lower it (possible air ride), brakes, wheels and tires

Then find a motor/trans/rear end - Originally I thought about a 360 Hemi but heard/read going 327/350 SBC would be easier/cheaper.

Then try to figure out what look I'm going for for the body. Old and Patina, Matte Black/OD Green, or shiny and glossy.

Please tell me this "builders block" is completely normal and if I just get started on something I'll surely figure out the rest as I go.....

Any and all ideas, suggestions, and food for thoughts are welcome here!

Thanks in advance,

-Chief

I don't see why you would do anything to the truck, I would match the paint to the rest of the truck on the back of the cab and drive it... As always a 350 chevy would be the cheapest route for a V8 swap, but I'm sure you can find 318s cheap as well if you don't want a ton of HP and just to throw it in there in stock form.

Other idea is to build the slant 6, there are certainly performance parts available for them

http://www.moparmax.com/columns/magnante/vii_1-1.html

I'm totally good with that....do you think I could match that paint though? I'm pretty sure that's the original red as I haven't seen any other colors underneath. That red matte finish is 64 years in the making....

Again, I apologize if that's a ridiculous question, first build so I don't know what I'm capable of doing with this thing yet.

Hi Chief. In your planning the plan you lost sight of 'cool' :cool: and thought cheap trumped everything else. Don't put a SBC in a Dodge:eek:, when Dodge made so many good motors that were cool to look at. If you don't want a small block Dodge, what about the wide block 318, or big block Mopar, old hemi, the first polysphere combustion chamber V-8, slant six or flathead six.
Don't base your whole life on what I say because I run a small block Mopar in a '55 Merc truck, so I shouldn't be giving out advice, but I do anyhow.
Keep on tinkering.

Please put a Mopar engine in there........small block chevies in everything is way too overdone, I understand why they do it but it's so boring seeing them under every hood at a car show.

They made tons of motor homes with 440 dodge engines and 727 auto trans. Around here you can pick them up with low miles in good running shape for $750 to $1000.

People will tell you these engines are low compression, which thet are, but a motor home weighs 5 or 6 times what your truck will and that engine was pulling
It down the road at 75-80 mph.

Just a suggestion. I bought a second one to build a 440 six pack combo but I don't know if I will or not. My little truck has plenty of power and I'm going to be running 17.5" duals.

me, well

Please put a Mopar engine in there........small block chevies in everything is way too overdone, I understand why they do it but it's so boring seeing them under every hood at a car show.

hey...l resemble that remark[ddd

even though all 3 of my mopars have SBC power, for me it was economics, l had them already.

look around for a motor home like pop's suggested, if you have the means to get one home, a place to put & to part it out, a way to get rid of the remains and a neighbor that don't complain, it a great idea. here on CL there are at least 2-3 a week for free of you tow it off.

a volare front clip is also a good way to go and a all mopar is a good thing.

Later :cool:

hey...l resemble that remark[ddd

even though all 3 of my mopars have SBC power, for me it was economics, l had them already.

look around for a motor home like pop's suggested, if you have the means to get one home, a place to put & to part it out, a way to get rid of the remains and a neighbor that don't complain, it a great idea. here on CL there are at least 2-3 a week for free of you tow it off.

a volare front clip is also a good way to go and a all mopar is a good thing.

Skull I love Jimmys truck and I fully understand why you did it but you gotta admit the SBC in everything gets a little boring.

YEP

ronnysplymouth ''the SBC in everything gets a little boring.''

yes it does---- that is why l like the pilothouse's on the hamb and here that are being built, one has a HEMI, another is pretty much stock, one has a Dakota chassis with a 318, one with a 360 and some where on the web l seen a diesel one. l like the diversity, same kinda trucks but totally different directions.

now back to your'e regularly scheduled program[P

Pic update

I told you guys that my truck had that photo shoot tonight. Unfortunately I don't have the pics from that yet but I did take a couple with everything put back on. Thought you might like to see them. I also included a couple of pics of the main car the girls were taking photos with. I'm pretty damned honored my truck was even considered!

The guy who sold me the truck has a Nailhead for sale....that would definitely take care of the cool factor engine-wise don't you think?

-Chief

Attachments

• DodgeAll.jpg
    DodgeAll.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DodgeSun.jpg
    DodgeSun.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Shelby1.jpg
    Shelby1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Shelby2.jpg
    Shelby2.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 24
That's a solid looking truck. Great to see another Pilothouse Dodge. I'm building a '52 with my son. Have fun with your build however you decide to go. Just my opinion, but I'd definately keep it all MoPar

Latest posts

Back