4x4 rods

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I remember way back when there was some 4x4 rods, like 55 chevy wagons, 59 Ford wagons, ElCaminos, Lincoln Mk5, with 4x4 running gears. I always wanted one but never pulled it off. When I had a good running gear I couldn't find a body, then I had a perfect 59 Edsel wagon and couldn't find the running gear. Now I have that crazey notion again and have been eyeing that 49 Fleetline thinking hmm..I wonder how it would look up in the air. I have the stuff now.

Last edited:
from my files 1985
4wheelcars.jpg

Someone posted a pic of a 4x4 rolls Royce on the HAMB a while ago.
Saw a late model Jaguar 4x4 once,looked excellent.

Nothing cool around here,but a town less than an hour away,
on the same day,I saw a bunch of 4x4s around town:
Honda Civic project,Pinto Sedan Delivery,late 60's Cougar,late 60's Chevelle.
Must be more around as well.

And in 85 I was driving this. It had already been in Truckin magazine, and I saw it again in Truckin for the anniversary edition, a few years ago.
I was driving in traffic in downtown Indy, lots of stop lights. It was geared so high, I had to shift to 4 low to take off then shift up to 4 high. Very fun little truck.
pinto4x4.jpg

Awesome pics!! Now I know I ain't the only looney tune.:D:D
I also remembered a friend I had in Anchorage with a really sweet 66 Mustang rag top on a Bronco running gear. He had done a real nice job and loved to take it out but I think what he liked most was taking it to the pud-whack Mustang club gatherings just to annoy them. I think they finally ask him not to come back

Here is the Fleetline in question. Maybe I can get a price on it tomorrow, he wasn't home today.
100_0428.jpg

100_0430.jpg

Last edited:
A few that I've found in passing.

Attachments

• HPIM1328 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1328 (Medium).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 28
  • HPIM2085 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2085 (Medium).JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 23
  • HPIM2086 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2086 (Medium).JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 32
  • HPIM0593 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM0593 (Medium).JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 27
my 47 f1 is not a rod but it is a vintage 4X4, marmon herrington conversion

Attachments

• P4151919.JPG
    P4151919.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 34
  • H M 4X4 2.jpg
    H M 4X4 2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 32
When I was in high school back in the 60's I worked at the local Texaco. One of the owners had a 46 Merc wagon that he had made into a 4x4. It was on the stock platform and had the flattie and wasnt all that tall as I remember, had the exhaust coming up through the fenders, all he used it for was a hunting rig. Wish I had a picture.
He ended up rolling it on some mountain road while Elk hunting. He was pretty banged up and couldn 't work for several months.

four wheel drives and hot rods are not a cobination I can make Its ether a 4x4 or a hot rod. A 32 coupe on a 4x4 chassie is a 4x4 not a hot rod. Maybe its just me but.:confused:

Back in the late 70's I went to the street machine nationals out in Indianapolis, and I was a 55 Chevy Bel Aire that had a 4 wheel drive conversion under it. The car was beautiful top to bottom. The body was finished in gloss black and was show quality, then the frame and body mounting looked like a factory installation. When I saw the heading for this thread that car was the first thing that popped into my head...all these years later. Somewhere in a shoe box I have pictures of it, but I wouldn't even know where to look right now

Latest posts

Back