5.0 T-bird Eng Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

47FORD

Ok I have a few question I have a 1985 T-bird 5.0 Eng that im putting in a 61 ford Econoline pu. I have a C4 trans out of a 64 ford van with a V8 bell housing. will this all fit together with no problem or ? any help would be appreciated

OK at home now on puter.

85 302 will be a 50 oz imbalance. You will need a flexplate to match the bellhousing size on the C4, which if the trans is a 64 model, should be a small bell. The small bell takes a 157 tooth flexplate, but Ford never made a 157 t in the 50 oz size, but the aftermarket does.

Next thing, if the trans is indeed a 1964, it will have a 5 bolt bell on it. You will need a 66 or later 6 bolt bell. Now here is where things get tricky---there are two different design c4's, thus two different design bells, as well as two different sizes! A case fill, meaning the dipstick goes into the case, takes a bell that bolts to the front pump. If yours is indeed an 64 model, it will be case fill. Just make sure you get a matching bell and 50 oz flexplate and block spacer and you're good to go.

To thoroughly confuse you, on the pan fill transmissions, the dipstick goes into the pan, not the aluminum case. Those bells bolt on with a set of bolts outside of the pump bolts. Don't get them confused, the bells don't interchange.

That should get you hooked up. Any more questions, just ask.

Thanks bamamav that helps a lot I do have the case fill trans and a bell for a V8 motor hope to work on it this weekend :) and I will have more question later

One thing I thought of and forgot to mention- there is also a difference in the spline count for the torque converter. Early models take a 24 spline, after 66 or 67 they went to a 26 spline on the converter shaft. Just another one of those running changes that Ford is known so well for!

One thing I thought of and forgot to mention- there is also a difference in the spline count for the torque converter. Early models take a 24 spline, after 66 or 67 they went to a 26 spline on the converter shaft. Just another one of those running changes that Ford is known so well for!

The c4 24 spline went to 1969 the 26 spline was from 1971 on up. The 70 was an odd ball with either spline. also the 1970 on up was a stronger trans with larger clutch packs

1964 were 5 bolt bells and 1965 on up were 6 bolt bells, You can bolt a V8 bell on a 6 cylinder c4

The case fill and the pan fill use a different bell. so you can not bolt a case fill bell on a pan fill trans or pan fill bell on a case fill trans

As for flex plates 1968-1980 mid year were 28 oz and mid 1980 were 50oz on the 302. All 221, 260 and 289 were 28 oz. all 351 are 25 oz also the early 5 bolt blocks use a shorter motor bolt spacing on the block.

Latest posts

Back