50 ford shoebox gasser?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
Today I was moving the old 50 Ford to storage, I had it picked up with the fork lift, since it has no front end under it. I started looking at that stance.
I pictured it with buckets, no back seat tubbed with a full cage. I was thinking straight axle for the front. What do you guys think? Has anyone seen one done this way?

Attachments

• shoebox front.jpg
    shoebox front.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 36
I think it would look real good. RRR member "gassersgarage" owns one done that way. Stand by, lete me see if I have a pic somewhere. I did but I may have lost it.

Shoebox gasser!

Bonehead,
I love it! Think that would make an awesome gasser plus I just love shoeboxes!!! There used to be a guy in my hood that had a black one & I only used to see it @ night... looked really awesome & sounded great!!!

BoB

Heres the car in 3/4 pose.
groucho gas.jpg
It was just shot for Rod & Culture magazine.
Don't know when it will come out though.
Rear axle was moved forward about 8".
Front axle was moved about 4".
It has a 421 Pontiac with a Super T-10.
Ford 9" with 3:50.

I really like it! Now where am I gonna find that passenger side door?

(Thanks for the info GG)

Possibly Ebay??? Eventually every part in the world seems to show up there.

ALso, lots of these guys seem to have junkyards with old cars around them, maybe someone can look for you next time they are there. BTW, the green gasser is sharp. :D

Don

Here's a small one. I can probably find a better pic than this but this will give you an idea. I think this is an AWB car.

isnt that groucho's shoebox?? i saw that thing hiding in the corner of his garage and almost crapped myself! as if his other cars weren't enough. it's a shame he cant be on the boards. he is a wealth of information, and has some really *****in rides...he's just a little moody:rolleyes:

either way its a cool car, i'll be looking for it in the new R&C. i dig it ALOT!

Da Groucho is a friend of mine. Know him since the 70's. Found out he was selling his car and bought it before the bidding got too high. I don't think he's moody, he just has no filter for cursing. I remember at the street races, a friends wife needed a ride so I drove her in my car. I was talking to a couple of friends when I saw the look on her face. I asked her what was wrong. She said she had never heard me talk like that (cursing). I told her that the guys wouldn't understand me if I didn't talk that way. Both guys agreed.
Have you seen his new ride, 32' Coupe. It is sooooooo sweet.

Da Groucho is a friend of mine. Know him since the 70's. Found out he was selling his car and bought it before the bidding got too high. I don't think he's moody, he just has no filter for cursing. I remember at the street races, a friends wife needed a ride so I drove her in my car. I was talking to a couple of friends when I saw the look on her face. I asked her what was wrong. She said she had never heard me talk like that (cursing). I told her that the guys wouldn't understand me if I didn't talk that way. Both guys agreed.
Have you seen his new ride, 32' Coupe. It is sooooooo sweet.

i know grouch from the HAMB, and have bought a few parts off of him. seems like a really cool guy. nothing wrong with cursing (i am a sailor..) i do like the coupe alot! i'm not too sure about the white headers but out of the whole build i love everything else. i need to get out of this central valley and move south!
so the ford is yours now? good score, glad to see it go to a car guy and not get lost in the mix somewhere.

Gasser,
Nice, I love Elky's!!! Who did the paint?

BoB
Don't know who painted it. Grouch saw it at the Grand National and kept coming back to look at it. Finally asked if it was for sale. Owner said he never thought about it. I think Grouch got it for $15-17. It's got a sbc, auto, air, full custom interior and bagged. I saw it at the mooneyes bar-b-que and was blown away. Its gotta be seen in person. :p
Grouch scored a 60' Impala with a real 409. :eek: He pulled the motor, put a sbc in it and it's now headed to Australia. Hes gonna use the 409 for another Gasser, either a 32' or Model A.
Wish I could afford to buy the Elky off of him. My wife's been wanting me to get a car that comfortable with air and auto.
If I see him, I'll ask who built the car.

All kidding aside, part of me feels sorry for the situation that occurred with Groucho. I see his posts on the HAMB, and know he is a knowledgable guy and even tries to be very helpful and sharing over there. I also agree that his coupe is really nice. I also gained some new respect for him because he admitted he has to paint the headers white for now and go with a single four barrel because he is running low on funds to finish the car. It takes a big man to admit that in public, and it showed me he is just as human as the rest of us.

But, on the other hand, Groucho didn't play by the rules on KB, and was not going to play by the rules here either, from all indications. He just seems to want to continue that tough, New York persona, and on a forum where the rules tolerate it (like the HAMB) that is fine, but not on one where the rules are different. I see members from here on other forums all the time, and they pepper their sentences with as many F words as the next guy, but on here they know we feel differently about that, and respect it enough to keep it out of here.

Didn't want to stir up old wounds, just put in my 2 cents that I agree with you guys about Groucho probably being a super nice guy and all. I just wish he could have bent a little.

Don

Latest posts

Back