50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this on that "Other" forum and thought I'd post it for some inspiration. I hope you don't mind.

Rat5.jpg

That actually was my inspiration... I think its somewhere in this thread already [cl[cl

I read the article on this truck, thought it was cool! Maybe one day I will ditch the junk I have on the back of mine and do something like that.

It is a really cool truck in the mag. It got my attention, thats for sure.

Notes: I received my 50% off rough country jeep control arms today, holy crap are they beefy... I think they are 1" thread on the adjustment... Going to use on set for the rear 3 link mustang setup, and 1 set for the front 4 link & quarter ellipticals. I'll get pics tomorrow...

Also got my through bumper exhaust covers and inners for the 57 pontiac bumper from the guy on the HAMB, so that was a great find, will finish off the bumpers nicely...

Van is loaded on the wrecker at work and ready to head to the scrapper...

Ordered springs from speedway too for the front, next week I will be digging in on the front suspension and frame, and engine cross member...

pics as promised

Welded up the engine hoist brackets I made before, now they should not bend when lifting the motor.[;)[;)

Also some pics of the through bumper exhaust, and I can;t wait to have the bumpers on with them... pontiac had some cool ideas...:)

The Rough country arms are insane... super strong, and they have the spherical pivot for I think 25 degrees of misalignment (suspension travel). Got some stainless brake lines in the kit, the through holes need to be opened up, but I think they may be usable.

I am hoping to sketch up some of the mounts for the front and rear suspension links soon and work on fabbing them up next week, as well as getting the front frame section test fit to the engine, and fab up the engine crossmember...

Attachments

• DSC04665.jpg
    DSC04665.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC04666.jpg
    DSC04666.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC04667.jpg
    DSC04667.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC04668.jpg
    DSC04668.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC04669.jpg
    DSC04669.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC04670.jpg
    DSC04670.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 40
DR-read through your build-freaking crazy-love it!!! I have that picture(from the mag) hanging in my shop-that was the first rat rod pic I ever hung up. Your chop looked perfect to me-I couldn't see what you were unhappy with! Love your thoughts on working on it when ever you can-your right you don't have to spend 4-5 hrs at one time working on it,hell sometimes I'll just mess around with something for a half an hour-at least something got done. Keep it up-can't wait to see the finished product.

DR-read through your build-freaking crazy-love it!!! I have that picture(from the mag) hanging in my shop-that was the first rat rod pic I ever hung up. Your chop looked perfect to me-I couldn't see what you were unhappy with! Love your thoughts on working on it when ever you can-your right you don't have to spend 4-5 hrs at one time working on it,hell sometimes I'll just mess around with something for a half an hour-at least something got done. Keep it up-can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliments! Things like that keep me going at times, that and watching other people's build threads! Got my springs today, and a toyota steering link since its different than the ford, so custom steering link with two different ends will be in the works some day....

Next week, will definitely be fabbing up some stuff... starting to twitch not working on the darn thing... must... get... garage... time.... *shake... twitch*

Oh, and bye bye to the Stunt Van shell
314362_3839988952048_234813929_n.jpg

311607_3839988352033_1797157466_n.jpg

Last edited:
Late last night took some more measurements, and started drawing up some of the rear suspension mounts for the lower links. Still need to sketch up the front mounts for the axle. I'm hoping to have a bunch of the small brackets worked out so I can cut them up and get them welded up this week...

Brackets/mounts seem to take a lot of time...

Small update, stripped the harness off the motor, as well as lines I do not want to damage when lifting the motor in and out of the frame. So, intake is off, as well as the fan. I drilled some new holes in the engine lift brackets, and got it all ready for tomorrow to test fit it in the frame rails to make sure everything clears as designed. So far its looking tight, but enough clearance by eyeball.

Also I have a bunch of things drawn up that I need to fab up hopefully this week for the suspension, also need to draw up the front spring mounts, and upper link mounts... soon...

Feeling like I'm making progress again...

Many things collaborated to make this evening non productive.
However, the wheels I picked up from another RRR member do fit, however they have .5" more backspace than the rims I have, so I have to decide if I want to cut the sway bar bracket off the axle, or leave it to give me the opportunity to run a stock mustang bar...

Good news is I should be getting my tank soonish, as TWC is going to get it truck freighted up here.
I still need a proper sized tank, but I will likely go through Roush to get the proper tank.

Other stuff I started degreasing the spare valve covers so they can be installed on the motor. Also trying out some non toxic, non acidic rust remover on the bumper exhaust caps, need to get the rust removed, stopped and painted up to protect the expensive bits from rusting...(on the inside)

Tomorrow will, barring any issues, be spent test fitting the front frame section to the engine, and planning the engine crossmember, and front suspension mounts.

Yep, on the bumper exhaust caps... cant get re-pops anymore, I found a set in driver condition, and had to pay some coin to get them. I'm not having them rust away.

Pics for the picture hungry Rats!

Tonight I finally got a chance to setup the front frame rails at ride height, and set the motor in to make sure everything will clear, and now I'll be drawing up the engine crossmember, and working on the rest of the frame...

So far everything appears as though it will clear, and I am glad because it means forward progress. [;)

Attachments

• DSC04671.jpg
    DSC04671.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC04672.jpg
    DSC04672.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC04673.jpg
    DSC04673.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC04674.jpg
    DSC04674.jpg