50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are on a tear man! I seem to just stand around looking at mine while scratching my nuts[S

Winter hit today. We are buried under snow.:mad: No heat in my garage... no insulation for that matter. Time to cowboy up I guess.

Your cross member is looking great.

gold03

You are on a tear man! I seem to just stand around looking at mine while scratching my nuts[S

Winter hit today. We are buried under snow.:mad: No heat in my garage... no insulation for that matter. Time to cowboy up I guess.

Your cross member is looking great.

gold03

If I don't make some progress each week I start to twitch... [S

The truck will be rolling as soon as I can get it rolling... I want to get the frame final welded as soon as I can, cause then its on to more fun stuff...

Last year I insulated the garage door, the walls were done when the house was built, and I did the ceiling of the garage as well last year. A propane heater will be in use when the temps get below 45 degrees, but so far the garage is staying warm enough without any extra heat source...

Looking really good..thats about where I am on mine, I'm doing a K member with the tranny mount coming from it...

Tim

Small update, finish welded the trans cross member and drilled the holes in the bottom so I can bolt up the trans mount to the cross member. Test fit is pretty good, probably saturday after work I'll grind the bevels on the plates for the frame mounts for this cross member....

Also picked up a stock mustang panhard bar from a mustang today, should be good enough, seems to fit, but its going to need a custom bracket off the side of the frame.

Small update, I beveled the edges of the trans crossmember brackets and tack welded them together for test fitting and drilling holes to bolt through the crossmember...

I'll try to get some pics of them... the x-member will slide into the brackets from the bottom and be through bolted so that I can drop the trans easily if necessary.

Finally some pics =)

Drilled the holes and final fitted the transmission cross member tonight.
Everything looks like it should work. trans is tipped down 3 degrees with the frame at ride height. I'll probably set the rear end to match, 3 degrees up.

Also started a bit of mock up on the front suspension, however I didnt have enough clamps to put the weight of the trans on the frame as well, so hopefully I can do that tomorrow after I finish welding the xmember brackets, and tack them to the frame.

Anyhow, getting closer, at least in my mind, to a roller....

Attachments

• DSC04850.jpg
    DSC04850.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC04851.jpg
    DSC04851.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC04852.jpg
    DSC04852.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC04853.jpg
    DSC04853.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC04854.jpg
    DSC04854.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC04855.jpg
    DSC04855.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 91
Nice work. I want to try out that suspension one day. It is so adjustable. Did you make it or buy a kit?

Gold03

What are you using for rear tires?

Last edited:
Nice work. I want to try out that suspension one day. It is so adjustable. Did you make it or buy a kit?

Gold03

What are you using for rear tires?

The arms are the same as I have in the rear, from a Jeep lift kit, people always want teh newest and best so when they mark them 50% off, I bought the old style from rough country... got a bunch of other odds and ends too brake lines, etc...

Rear tires are MT sportsman right now 29X18.5 x 15

That's looking great!!

I don't know a thing about your type of suspension but it looks hell for stout.
I can see lots of thought and planning there. Be careful,and don't strain your brain.

When you get it on the road drop by and take me for a ride. All roads lead to New Mexico one way or the other, ha!

Really like your removable trans cross member. Clean and effective.

POPS

"The arms are the same as I have in the rear, from a Jeep lift kit, people always want teh newest and best so when they mark them 50% off, I bought the old style from rough country... got a bunch of other odds and ends too brake lines, etc..."

That is a good idea. I have a 2003 Rubicon and wouldn't mind using the suspension on a rod one day. I have the Currie Johnny joints and they are real stout. If I build something with Big power, That is how I will be going.

I keep thinking the Wrangler frame and four link suspension would make a nice riding rod. Just gotta get rid of the stock control arms.

Gold03

Won't have to worry about any flimsy stuff there...lol

Drilled the holes and final fitted the transmission cross member tonight.
Everything looks like it should work. trans is tipped down 3 degrees with the frame at ride height. I'll probably set the rear end to match, 3 degrees up.

Also started a bit of mock up on the front suspension, however I didnt have enough clamps to put the weight of the trans on the frame as well, so hopefully I can do that tomorrow after I finish welding the xmember brackets, and tack them to the frame.

Anyhow, getting closer, at least in my mind, to a roller....

Looks great man....can't wait to see it together....nice work...[cl

Thanks for the compliments fellas!

I was hoping to do more on it tonight, but so far all I did was finish weld the trans x-member brackets at the shop... Not sure I'll get back to it til tomorrow...

Latest posts

Back