50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, was a rough week, I got something in my eye monday, but I thought I got it out. Tuesday night it started bothering me, so I washed out the eye with saline solution a bunch of times, wednesday was pretty good til the late afternoon and it bothered me again, so again I washed it all out and it was good... Thursday was good for the most part & it started feeling better but it just wasn't feeling right so Friday I went to the doctor and had them have a look & they had to remove a VERY small piece of metal from my eye with a needle... Fun times, and now I have a patch on the eye til this afternoon & I'll be taking some eye drops to prevent infection & to help it heal...

Anyhow I did manage to get some welding done through all this, as well as get the pieces made for the steering drag link which I need to weld together. I also made a spacer for the brake pedal pivot rod which is almost done, I need one more washer, a little welding & paint work and the brakes will be complete.

Steering and brakes are major steps in the right direction. Stay after it.
Oh and protect those eyes, you only get two and it would really suck to
lose them.

Steering and brakes are major steps in the right direction. Stay after it.
Oh and protect those eyes, you only get two and it would really suck to
lose them.

Indeed, I ordered some fully sealed eye protection for the grinding/cutting so this does not happen again... grrrr, better off a lot of times without the glasses or shield, its like it directs it around the edge with the fan action of the grinder....

Indeed, I ordered some fully sealed eye protection for the grinding/cutting so this does not happen again... grrrr, better off a lot of times without the glasses or shield, its like it directs it around the edge with the fan action of the grinder....

Glad to hear that you are ok DR.
I wear a pair of swimming gogles at time when cutting or grinding. Especialy when working under something. They are cheap. They seal all around your eye. And I can still wear a shield over them to keep from setting my beard on fire.:eek:
I know what you mean about the debris flying around other protection.
Stay safe.
Torchie.

Done the eye thing. Much discomfort! If you are waiting to get treated try reading a book in low light. Keeps you from blinking which is when the pain happens. Read in dimmed light.

images

Thats what I ordered, and I'll be wearing those every time I fire the grinder, and a face shield if it will fit over it... They fit awesome, nicely sealing stupid bits of metal and other foreign objects out of my dang eye!

Also picked up a battery this weekend, so I'll be working on the steering, finishing up the brake pedal assy, and getting the battery installed so I can start working on the wiring too...

[c
images

Thats what I ordered, and I'll be wearing those every time I fire the grinder, and a face shield if it will fit over it... They fit awesome, nicely sealing stupid bits of metal and other foreign objects out of my dang eye!

Also picked up a battery this weekend, so I'll be working on the steering, finishing up the brake pedal assy, and getting the battery installed so I can start working on the wiring too...

[cl[;)make sure u use a welding helmet as well...nothing worse than welding flash...nice progress

Dr glad to hear you're ok. remember to leave your goggles,welding helmet. safety shield etc so they don't fill up with dirt and debris so when you put them on you don't dump dirt it your eyes.

I've had to wear a patch twice now, both times it got behind my glasses, goggles should be much better I currently use the OSHA squint method. When I was in school I got welding flash, if you take a potato cut each end off and put the fresh cut ends on you eyes, instant relief.

Dr glad to hear you're ok. remember to leave your goggles,welding helmet. safety shield etc so they don't fill up with dirt and debris so when you put them on you don't dump dirt it your eyes.

Oh definitely, if I'm in the garage and any cutting/grinding is on the agenda they will be on, but I'll have them in a bag or in the house when I'm not using them to keep them clean...

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I'm just about back to 100%, planning on working on stuff a lot this week!

Tried out the goggles, not bad

Like the title said, tried out the goggles, they do condense water in the lens after a long time having them on, but they do a damn good job of keeping crap out of the eyes.

Anyhow, I made up a battery box that will be removable if I need to service the battery, and I'm going to add a vent as well. This will be a sealed box to keep all vapors out of the cab. Its going to bolt up to the firewall (I'm going to add a couple strengthening plates on the outside of the cab), and have the side posts stick through the firewall. (I'll be adding some rubber or some sort of foam to keep the battery from sliding around inside the box.

Tomorrow I plan on blasting and finish welding the box and welding the flange to the box.
I also plan on starting on welding the steering drag link & adding the main pieces of tubing to strengthen the welded areas.

Anyhow, on to pictures.

Attachments

• DSC05371.jpg
    DSC05371.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC05372.jpg
    DSC05372.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC05373.jpg
    DSC05373.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts