50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent in the application for Authentic License plates so it will have a '49 plate if they approve that.

Just need to finish up my Haggerty pictures and get those submitted to my agent.

I sent in the application for Authentic License plates so it will have a '49 plate if they approve that.

Just need to finish up my Haggerty pictures and get those submitted to my agent.

It sounds like you guys have a lot of hoops and red tape to deal with in your title/registration process. Congrats on being nearly finished!

You are going to run authentic plates???? I was thinking of doing that until I saw all the restrictions.....

I don't think the cops are going to enforce that garbage anyhow.
The only real restriction was not driving it for ordinary transportation, if it becomes an issue I can have two plates for it if I want.

Next week I plan on working on some side windows, and seat belts and maybe some wiring... Still tons of sheet metal to do on the rear, but I'm liking the extended break from cut/grind/weld :D

It's not all that bad in Missouri.
Straight off the Mo DMV site:
"A vehicle that is registered as a historic vehicle may be driven:

1. To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;
  2. To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit; and
  3. Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.
The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.

Historic vehicle registration is a permanent registration and cannot be transferred. If you sell or dispose of the vehicle, you must remove the plates from the vehicle at that time."

The only mileage you have to log is personal use miles. (here)
We drive ours everywhere all the time. As far as getting stopped, as long as you're obeying the law, there are no worries. (here)

The YOM plates will most likely be less of an issue then the insurance restrictions on usage.
Good luck with the whole process DR.
Keep us posted.
Torchie.

It's not all that bad in Missouri.
Straight off the Mo DMV site:
"A vehicle that is registered as a historic vehicle may be driven:

1. To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;
  2. To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit; and
  3. Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.
The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.

Historic vehicle registration is a permanent registration and cannot be transferred. If you sell or dispose of the vehicle, you must remove the plates from the vehicle at that time."

The only mileage you have to log is personal use miles. (here)
We drive ours everywhere all the time. As far as getting stopped, as long as you're obeying the law, there are no worries. (here)

That must be nice. Michigan allows NO PERSONAL USE!! Only allowed to drive to shows or club events.

My cousin has a 1950 mg midget. He runs a 1950 plate on it. He spoke with a state trooper who said he has never heard of anyone getting pulled over with a antique plate. He said to just say you are taking it for a test run .

Well, yes technically that is the case and the rules, but we will see if anyone ever enforces it.

That restriction is more about money than anything else in my opinion so they don't lose on plate renewal fees...

Side note, not really any progress to report except making a blockoff plate for the cowl vent, still need to drill some holes, maybe roll the edges a bit and screw it down. But that also allowed me some more room under the dash for the gauge cluster without the handle for the vent assembly in the way.

State of Missouri says we are to run plates on the front too.
3 Days ago I was letting my 16 year old grandson drive, while we were running parts, a police officer seen us coming turned around right behind us seen the rear plates and went on.
If I believed in coincidence, I'd think that was the case but, I don't.

Your not running the cowl vent??

At this point, no, the fact that there are no reproduction seals that are worth a damn, and the whole assembly is terribly designed for installation and removal... And the lid on mine is shot, solid as tin foil...

I'm planning on some side vents later on when I find time... ;)

Got the license plate bracket mounted along with the plate, just waiting on my title and registration to come in the mail.

I also worked on the cover plate for what used to be a cowl vent, that is all buttoned up and sealed now hopefully.

Had a set back today however, seems as though Haggerty will NOT insure alternative fuel vehicles... so going to do some more checking with my agent... I would rather be up front and honest about the vehicle so that if there is ever a liability or collision claim, there are NO issues...

Got the license plate bracket mounted along with the plate, just waiting on my title and registration to come in the mail.

I also worked on the cover plate for what used to be a cowl vent, that is all buttoned up and sealed now hopefully.

Had a set back today however, seems as though Haggerty will NOT insure alternative fuel vehicles... so going to do some more checking with my agent... I would rather be up front and honest about the vehicle so that if there is ever a liability or collision claim, there are NO issues...

alternative fuel ??

Around 80, 81 or 82, when I was living in Pasadena TX, an ole boy went through a car wash with a propane powered pickup, one of the rag wheels grabbed a hose or valve, jerked it off and the entire car wash was completely leveled by the blast.

Latest posts

Back