51 Dodge Pilothouse

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChevyMan&Sons

Hello everyone!
I'm starting the process of building a 1951 dodge B3B or better know as a pilot house. Anyways I had this truck givin to me by a very kind women that wanted it out of her orchard. I got a hold of a friend with a back hoe and we lifted it up "O" so gently and put it on a flat bed and got it to where it is now, Home..
I just finished torching the old fram out cleaning the shop and got it proped up in the center of the shop. The plan is we are going to build a 2x4 frame and go from there. I'm gonna try to utalize the original 4 speed. I have an AMC 360 that were gonna rebuild and drop in. I started looking at the bed today and I started to wonder what everyones thoughts were as far as bed length. I don't want it really short nore do I want it the almost 7feet that it is now..

Hope to here everyones tips and ideas.
Thanks

Pics

OK guys as you can see in these we just got the frame torched apart and started the cab mock up. I have placed the bed behind the cab since these photos. I will attach some more soon.

Thanks[;)

Attachments

• 2010-11-13 20.08.44.jpg
    2010-11-13 20.08.44.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 2010-11-16 15.39.30.jpg
    2010-11-16 15.39.30.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 2010-11-16 15.39.50.jpg
    2010-11-16 15.39.50.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 2010-11-16 15.40.02.jpg
    2010-11-16 15.40.02.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 83
Parts

Yeah I may. Its got a 2 barrel on it now id like to get an intake/card setup for it but if i cant ill take an intake if you have one. What kind of parts do you have?

Thank NEVERDONE

Work

Just for an update I have been working a lot lately and haven't got to work on the Dodge for a while. I did get the bed in place and some tires set up along side of it. I'm gonna ask for opinions about bed lengths. What length do you all like. It is 7 feet now and I'm thinking it is too long. Oh yeah and I also attached the logo for our new club jackets....Pretty cool.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ben

Attachments

• 2010-11-21 17.22.18.jpg
    2010-11-21 17.22.18.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 87
  • 2010-11-22 17.04.44.jpg
    2010-11-22 17.04.44.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 69
Just for an update I have been working a lot lately and haven't got to work on the Dodge for a while. I did get the bed in place and some tires set up along side of it. I'm gonna ask for opinions about bed lengths. What length do you all like. It is 7 feet now and I'm thinking it is too long. Oh yeah and I also attached the logo for our new club jackets....Pretty cool.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ben

I'd leave it full length if it were mine. The flat bed on mine is a similar length, and overall, I'd say the car scales out to a nice looking size.

Is the front of that box curved to match the cab?

cool

in a round about way the amc motor might be condsidered a stock replacement unit:D

l like to see another piiot house dodge being done.

when l started mine 15yrs ago ya didn't see very many, now seem to be a popular chice for a truck build.

my bed is 6.5 and with no chop it looks porportional. if the top of the cab was chopped a little bit, then l would take 2.5 out of the front and 2.5 out of rear of the bed.

here is the link to mine;

1950 dodge truck trubute to my son

keep us updated and post lots of pics, we like pics[cl

some pics l found online, camaro wheels look wrong on this body style, but l posted it so you could see the bed in relationship to the cab.

Later, :cool:

Attachments

• 49 dodge truck.jpg
    49 dodge truck.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 1948_ red dodge truck pickup.jpg
    1948_ red dodge truck pickup.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Doug_meyer_1948_dodge_truck.jpg
    Doug_meyer_1948_dodge_truck.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 39
A little more done

Ok everyone so We got the cab measured up taped up and hacked off. It was a little nerve racking to do it but the guys in my club are freaking fantastic and as a group we all bring something to the table. I dream up the crazy ideas and the help me work it out in real time.

Anyways here are a few shots of us working on stuff and of the top off and where it will be when we weld the old girl back together...

Later Dudes!

Attachments

• Measuring window.jpg
    Measuring window.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 55
  • More measurments.jpg
    More measurments.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Tape Line.jpg
    Tape Line.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Mike sawing the cab.jpg
    Mike sawing the cab.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 52
  • topless lady.jpg
    topless lady.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Top on floor.jpg
    Top on floor.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Top back on!.jpg
    Top back on!.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 72
chop

how much did ya take outta the roof posts?:confused:
was it hard to put the the top back on or did nothing line up?
what is the height of the windshield top to bottom?

reason l ask is l am still on the fence whether the top on mine gets the axe or stays the way it came from the factory.

looking good[cl

Later:cool:

chop

The chop was a learning experiance however it was fun...
We took 5inches out of the front pillars and a 2 inch piece out of the back underneath the windows. We did it that way to avoid loosing the original glass on the corners. I will post some more pictures soon.

Hey my advice is do whagt your comfortable with. If I was to do it again I would section out the needed metel in the roof to help line up the front pillars.

If anyone has any more questions let me know ill do my best to explain my actions to you.

Ben

Latest posts

Back