51 dodge Rat Rod Build BSA Venturing Crew

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftyken

I'm a Venturing crew coach, (boys 16-18 years old) chartered by the L.D.S. Church. October 15 2008 we tore down and mocked up the 1951 Dodge PU we're ratting out. Plans are to fab a bobbed frame with around a 114" wheel base, with suicide front axel and buggy spring rear suspension, cradling a chevy small block. With this cab no less than a 6" chop will do.

Here is an all around view of the mock up.
PA160046.jpg

PA160056.jpg

PA160053.jpg

PA160051.jpg

The second build day 10/22/08

October 22 2008 was the second night of the build. We built a Dollie to move the cab around on, then rolled it in to the shop to do the chop.We only had about three hours working time but at least we got the top off. it would have been nice to make the second cuts and set the top back on to get a feel for what it's going to look like. We wont be working on it again till Nov. I don't think I can wait that long to make those second cuts, so you might see something sooner than that....

Chris fitting the supports for the chop
ratrodstuff002.jpg

Me laying out the chop
ratrodstuff008.jpg

The first cut no going back now.
ratrodstuff011.jpg

A few more pics

Bryan trying to cut straight on vicodin prescribed of course.
ratrodstuff019.jpg

Dr. Nordstrom what are you thinking, you know your not allowed in the operatory with out gloves....
ratrodstuff020.jpg

Aw what a beautiful sight...
ratrodstuff021.jpg

Bro. Starkwether, that grin means he approves.
ratrodstuff023.jpg
:rolleyes:

finely back to work

t's been a long three weeks. I've been dieing to make those seconds cuts, and set the top back on to see what its going to look like.The fowling pics are the results of our third work Night.

Its a good thing Erick has braces, he might have rattled his teeth out of his head with that jig saw
DSC00080.jpg

Erick works well alone, but looks way to serious don't you think.And whats with that toung...
DSC00081.jpg

We cant wait to cut those doors down!!! Jose want's to see it NOW......Who's going to argue with Jose.......
DSC00084.jpg

I would'nt leave you hang'n

The rest of the pics.

Does Eric always think he's the Hulk when he wears a green shirt.
DSC00085.jpg

Smiles of approval, WE LIKE IT.........
DSC00086.jpg

Six foot tall and still plenty of head room
DSC00089.jpg

Can you say MAIL SLOT.......... Jose's looking pretty GQ don't you think...
DSC00090.jpg

More pics every one likes pics.

Here are a few with the doors cut... We'll have to stretch the top about 2.5" but the width is only off in the front about 1/8" Sweet...
DSC00094.jpg

What do you think a thumbs up any one.
DSC00093.jpg

Well that's all for now I'll keep you posted, should be more next week.

Late Craftyken
::D

Lookin good fellas.Its good to see young people get involved in a project like this and good that its a church related thing.A couple guys where I live wish there was a place around here where we could have young people work on cars like that.Keeps em off the street and outta trouble and they learn something too.Keep up the good work!

You guys look like you are having way too much fun doing that project. Keep up the good work. I'd move the rear axle centerline back a weeeeeee bit.

Somehow I missed this one. Looks like a great project, and I see you barrowed the Tripper hacksaw to rip the top off with.

Good job, and thumbs up.

Update...last we worked on the rat was 11-14-08

Well its a new year and I'm glad to be through the holidays. At the rate were going I didn't see an end in sight, so as of 11-21-09 the old girl has found a new home living with me. So she'll be getting some extra attention. The boys will be working on her the second Wednesday of each month, and I promised her special time every Thursday evening, (along with anyone else that wants to come by) and any other time I can fit In.
The first task in her hew home get rid if the bondo!!!

2009007.jpg

The tops of the doors cut down,That's looking good

2009026.jpg

Laying out the cut for the top, (The red line) zaging the cut will make it easier to line up the top.
Zaging ya that's a new word, Ittel be in the dictionary soon,along with Ittel.

2009028.jpg

Cuttin the Zag

Getting the top ready, so when the boys come over Wednesday night we can start tacking it up and see some progress.

2009033.jpg

Never underestimate what a jig saw will do. Best dollar I ever spent...

2009036.jpg

OOP'S... Did some one need those fender's, sorry they had just the right contour that I needed to fill the hole in the top.

2009063.jpg

By welding a piece from each fender together I have just what i need to keep the rain out.

2009056.jpg

Well that's it till Wednesday.

Wednesday nights progress

Well the old girls ready and waiting for the crew to come over. They need to make some relief cuts, to help the front post and cab corners line up,the post only need about a 1/8" the cab corners about 3/4". Then prep for welding, clamp it up and start tacking. Or should I say, start learning how to tack....

The top ready for the crew....look at that cab corner canyon, what to do, what to do...
No worries, stuff like that always works out...

2009044-1.jpg

Chris says, that just what we need to line up the post. Thank you sawzall, the only too for cutting through the top skin and visor panel at the same time...

2009046.jpg

Trent prepping for welds, with an Obama toupee. The is the best tool I've found for this job, as it removes no obvious metal. You'll need all the metal you can get when it comes time to grind your welds.

2009048.jpg

Erick doing the same thing to the back of the top, that Trent is doing to the front of the top. Team work, getting the job done.

2009047.jpg

Wednesday nights progress continued

Time to start clamping it up. This is where your thirty some pairs of assorted vise grips come in handy..

As you can see, this is a job that calls for plenty of supervision.

2009053.jpg

Yet another supervisor, the head supervisor always wears a white hat!

2009051.jpg

Prepped, lined up and clampdown. Erick, with no fear, dons his helmet and goes for the first tack.

2009054.jpg

Not bad for a bunch of supervisors, the beginners blow out is by Brandon. Remember, you met him, the head supervisor in the white hat... (Just because you were all dying to know) In all fairness their is a bit of a gap and it is sheet metal.

2009068.jpg

Tacked in place mission accomplished.

Latest posts

Back