53 Chevy PU onto a S-10 frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had torn down an old deck/porch that I saved the weathered decking boards just for this project. The deck was sagging in the middle so the boards are warped, low in the middle but I think over time they should straighten up. They're not fastened yet because I need to take them back out to work on the gas tank and other things.
They look in better shape in the pics than they do in real-life. They're weathered gray and are pretty much worn down to the grain....
DSC02409.jpg

DSC02408.jpg

Getting to work on the steering shaft. (thanks again to Jimmy Wallbanger, deerchooper & bob w for the suggestions)

First, tear apart the s-10 column for the dd shaft and sleeve/connector....

ac48799812fe.jpg

and here's the dd sleeve that I wasn't able to find aftermarket....
f73671bc2580.jpg

Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep the vibration dampener or eliminate it....
385a8e70d9d7.jpg

Generally with two u-joints you don't need a support bearing. Those vibration dampeners don't like much angle on them. My son had one come apart because of the angle. If you can keep the shaft running pretty straight into it you should be ok.

Looking great Zippy! I double checked on my rear rims and they are 10 x 15 with a 4.25 backspace. Nice thread you got going here. I better get going on mine or you will pass me up in no time!

I'v read your thread, look's good, I would try to figure out how to make a brackett, you can do it!
I'm kinda looking at that.

Generally with two u-joints you don't need a support bearing. Those vibration dampeners don't like much angle on them. My son had one come apart because of the angle. If you can keep the shaft running pretty straight into it you should be ok.
With the new U-joint on the end of the new column, the dampener and the rag joint on the box.... that's three. Guess I better get me a bearing.

Looking great Zippy! I double checked on my rear rims and they are 10 x 15 with a 4.25 backspace. Nice thread you got going here. I better get going on mine or you will pass me up in no time!
Thanks for checking Joker, I like the looks of those.

Looking good, I really like the ride height.
Thanks, wish me luck that it works out.

Worked on a couple wheel tubs today. [;)
I'm thinking I'm gonna order a shaft bearing, so something to do in the mean time....

They're not mounted yet, just a dry-run....

Forgot to mention in the beginning. Here's a Photoshop version of the look I want....
Suntruck5.jpg

A local sign painter who has lettered two trucks for me says he can letter it and make the lettering look 50 years old.

I ended up keeping the vibration dampener. It's kinda hard to tell from the pics but everything lines up nice and straight/true. It's just dry fitted for now. I'll probably take the shaft back out for the engine/trans installation.
76f15593ccfe.jpg

I bought a support bearing from Speedway which I'll install on the DD after I confirm how the exhaust manifolds fit.

like your truck! been wanting to do one on a s-10 chassis. gotta drive and ride pretty good. might start getting parts now,looks like a good combo. keep the pics coming,i'm loving it so far.thanks for sharing.

Like your door art idea.
thanks

like your truck! been wanting to do one on a s-10 chassis. gotta drive and ride pretty good. might start getting parts now,looks like a good combo. keep the pics coming,i'm loving it so far.thanks for sharing.
I gotta tell ya; I've done a Camaro front clip on a 54 a couple years back, and now this but IMHO the Camaro clip was a hellava lot easier.

Latest posts

Back