54 Chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The starter was falling off so I fixed that. The block was painted black. Nothing fancy here just didn't want to stick that greasy engine in the truck. The valve covers and intake will be changed later.

Sami jumped in to help out her Daddy. She worked hard. She got in the cab and put the bolts on for the booster too. The truck now had it's master cylinder and swing pedal.

Before we called it an early night we painted the motor mount shells and bolted them back on the block. No need for the engine to sit around so it was put it, hopefully for the last time. I still have to make a trans cross member. The trans is sitting on a block.

Nice work on that firewall..the oven cleaner works great, I've cleaned whole tractors up before paint with it..the hotter the outside temp, the better it works..cleaned the motor in my rat with it too..

Carry on [P

Dang!
Lookin good man. You do some really nice work. Nice to have helpers thats jumps right in there. Cant wait to see more.:DRR
im in chillicothe ohio. I think were not far from each other.

Thanks...Your right, you are not too far. You need to cruise down here one day when we are doing some back road cruising in the hot rods.

Great work, way to make it look easy. I have plans on picking up a 54 later this year so watching this truck will be interesting.

Pulled the TBI intake and the valve covers off. I'm hoping the 305 will get okay gas mileage. I have a Holley that will go on the dual plane intake for now. Later when I have the money I'm going to buy a small CFM, 500 Edelbrock and use it.

Most people don't want a 305. They say it's not worth anything. I don't want to go fast I just want to save gas. Beside, anyone that tells me they are not worth anything I can let them know this one is worth at least 2 bucks.

A little epoxy and we have two silver dollars in the freeze out plugs. Just for the fun of it.

I like your 305

Nice engine.
I would like to find a 305 for my project.
People around here want $500.00 and up for an engine that has been rained in.:confused:It is insane!
I am still searching for a sbc I can afford.

Don't know how I missed this build [S
Went thru your posts and like what you're doin [cl
It's nice when the youngsters help makes it even more fun.
I put a tuned port 305 with a 700r4 in my 66 C10 DD and absolutely love it [dr
Thanks for posting all the pics :)

I got the Chrysler 8 3/4 rearend out of it. Someone switch the stock Dakota rear with a stronger one. Anyone want to buy it? Needs a good cleaning but it's all there.$50.00 if one of you guys are close and want to grab it. I'm going to run a Chevy rearend.

The shop truck will sooner or later get updated heat and AC but for now the stock box will have to do. It was shoved into a box with other junk and had been roughly taken off. Looks like they cut one bolt off and damaged a spot and pried the box off one side.
040.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

There was not one screw that would come out without heat. I look really happy don't I. :D
056.jpg

Heat it. Smack it with a hammer and hope it comes out without stripping the heads off the 1954 screws.
058.jpg

072.jpg

076.jpg

Wouldn't you know it. The motor didn't work. I got it moving and you could tell it was trying but it just wouldn't get going.
106.jpg

I thought I'd try to find a new 12V motor and go that route. Before I knew it I had the case opened and took a look.
109.jpg

It was dirty. I checked a few things but nothing looked out of wack. I cleaned it up a bit, blew it all out and put it back together. I hooked it up in the garage and VARROOOOM! It takes off and runs great.
I'm just going to buy a voltage reducer(Runtz) and leave it as is.

The heater box but was full of dirt and grease. It was put in a hot bath to soak.
077.jpg

While the tin was soaking I thought I'd try to clean up the emblem.
068.jpg

Polish wouldn't work so I soaked it and then used an SOS pad on it. I was carefull to stay away from the painted areas. It helped then I finished it off with some polish.
082.jpg

The tin came out of the hot water almost stripped of the flaking paint.
111.jpg

The motor and hamster cage was sanded down and ready for some paint.
018-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back