54 Studebaker build. Where do I go from here? Seriously.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have full fenders and open engine.

Attachments

• P6180550.jpg
    P6180550.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 14
OH yea, I love that model Stud. One of the best looking truck ever made after running boards were abandon.

I think its a good starting point but, as others have mentioned you need to unchannel the body by about 4-8 inches. As it sits it looks like there could be scrub line issues. On the grill, just find something you like the looks of and maybe fan your own to your dimensions to keep proportions in check. Look forward to seeing more!

You could "hide" or disguise the cowl with flat black paint, though I kinda like it myself. That's just me, probably. You could use part of the hood, that being the center "hump" and maybe trim down a stock front grille by sectioning out some of it to fit? Just kicking ideas around, good or indifferent... LOL

I was actually toying around with this idea. I went to the local junk yard and he had about 50 cars and trucks, all 80's and newer accept a cool old buick of some kind, and guess what.... an early 50's baker truck! It has some rusty fenders and some interior door panels which i need, and it also has a grill and bumper! Not really after the bumper, but i thought about doing exactly what you said with the hood and a grill. He will probably want $50 for the grill.... not sure. worth a shot. Im not sure where i would cut down the hood yet though.. I'll play around on paper first maybe.

I think its a good starting point but, as others have mentioned you need to unchannel the body by about 4-8 inches. As it sits it looks like there could be scrub line issues. On the grill, just find something you like the looks of and maybe fan your own to your dimensions to keep proportions in check. Look forward to seeing more!

Not familiar with "scrub line".... sorry. :)

Would love to use my own 4 core radiator but it's too darn big and wide... I will probably look at buying a new 32 Ford style radiator (3 core). Hopefully it will cool my 400sbc. I'm actually looking at the 32 grill frame (rusty) and making my own grill.

I'm liking the rake and the channel depth at this point yet... I know many of you are suggesting unchanneling, which i'm having to do with the box to get it set properly.

I did get my material to tack in the front axle so I can roll it out and take some more pix and get a better look. My 30x40 shed is not big enough.

Basically scrub line is, if you have a flat tire you want the rim to be the only thing that smacks the pavement and not any part of frame, suspension or body.

The doghouse is the complete front sheet metal. You could maybe get away with no hood if you have a rowdy engine in it, but that cab just won't look right without fenders. No amount of lipstick will help that pig!

The photos that Clamor & Skip posted are good examples. Or imagine the two Studebaker trucks that Undercover Customs posted, sans hood. THAT will make your truck look right, give it the necessary attitude and keep it's identity. Why spend money on a ill-fitting grille assembly that is completely wrong for the truck? Spend that money on some decent fenders. Get a deal on the ones at the junkyard and at least mock them up on your truck. I'm willing to bet it looks MUCH better to you, and I'm sure others will agree. Maybe eliminate the inner fenders and give it an open-air race feel with fenderwell headers. Plenty of exposed engine while keeping the body in proportion. Relocate the radiator to the bed if you want to have some heads scratching. There is a lot you could do to the truck without making it look cobbled together, which is what a 30's style grille and no fenders will do. It's just not the right vehicle for that. If you have your heart set on something fenderless I would peddle it and find something else. If not, then you have a decent start to a cool little hot rod truck/parts hauler (after it is unchanneled about a foot!). Give it the respect it deserves.

Just my $.02

It's your truck....

But it is one of the rare body styles with the curvy Stude sheet metal. Painted or rat, they look great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 21
I guess when i purchased the rat rod project, i was under the assumption that a rat rod was a mix match of many different models, parts (unconventional and conventional), materials, and creativity. I was not looking to restore a studebaker truck. In fact i have no desire to make this an original looking lowered studebaker that is comfortable to ride and drive. I am looking at making something that is unique that some will hate and some will love. I need help from others to help me in this process. I am grateful for ALL of your ideas and opinions, i just hope that you will all understand when i agree to disagree with some of you. Thank you all and I will do my best to hold up my end of the deal by working on this build and posting my pix as i go. Hopefully together we can create something that is unique, and makes people scratch their heads....
With that said, i am open to more ideas as to my radiator and cover that would work with this. I am still not planning on finding fenders etc to keep this a studebaker.... Who knows, maybe you'll change my mind but at this point i will continue to research the open engine option and making the odd firewall work! Thanks again.

I mentioned earlier that i didn't have a title for this truck. I'm a little nervous what would happen if they find that past owner after a search and he says that it was stolen or claims he never sold it.... That would stink. All i have is a bill of sale. However, i also mentioned that i visited a local junk yard and he happened to have a 51 Studebaker truck that was complete. The lower fenders were rusty, but useable if i do something like one of the pix that was put in the Rat Rod of the day thread recently. I will try and post it as well as the only pix of the 51 at the salvage yard. The good thing is that the 51 has a title! He wants $500 for it. What do you all think? Should I try and get it for $400? It would give me a back up plan if the majority of you were right in that i need fenders.... plus it would get me a title. I'll try and get more pix of the 51 tomorrow.

Attachments

• 40fordpuefiratty.jpg
    40fordpuefiratty.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 51baker.jpg
    51baker.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 29
If you have the funds I would buy the 51 with the title. The price you mentioned is worth that if for no other reason than the paper work attached to it.
What else does the guy have laying around the yard? Maybe you can find something that will work for a front for your build.
As on most forums when you ask for opinions, you will get them.:D Having read thru them I feel that they all present a valid point of view(Including the one I posted earlier).It's just not your point of view.
The only things that you need to worry about on your build as far as I'm concerned are these. That it's safe for everyone concerned, as we all share the road. And that you are happy with it when it's done. All the rest is just another guys opinion.......
Build away. [;) [;) [;)
Torchie.

I would have to agree with Torchie and with that thought, a wise old man once told me "if you don't won't my opinion don't ask" and yes we can agree to disagree.
My advise is to sit down and invasion what "you" want your ride to look like and work toward that end. One of the things that is appealing about this style is if you don't like what it is you can cut it off and weld it back on [cl

This ain't your daddies El Camino and I have found that indeed, so like so hate

Sprfirstbath_zpsdaf710ad.jpg

(IMO worth $.02)

Your truck - your way

I'm a c-cab Studebaker guy (not stock, but complete), but was surprised how much I liked the fenderless cab set over the frame in your first pic.
Likes others have said think it through, mock it up, make it yours.

Heck yeah, buy the '51 if nothing else but for the clean title and vin then peddle the rest of the truck on down the road, or if it fits your vision use the front clip and anything else off the 51 and sell what's left.

Nobody here will tell you you're right or wrong on the looks of your truck, we just want you to build something safe that YOU'LL enjoy!

This is why i am on this forum! Thank you all for sharing! I do like the idea that "if you don't like it you can cut it off and wled it back on "! hilarious but true. I will buy the 51 even if only for the title. i think the fenders are the same accept the 54 has a full front grill and the 51 doesn't.
The reason i went to his yard was to look for something for the front of my truck. that's when i found the 51 and he also had a pretty cool 51 Buick. other than that every thing was too knew.
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I would jump all over that '51. Then have two builds, or at least the parts to make one good one with a clear title. If there is an ID plate on the one you have now, and someone lays claim to it, then it is just the body, right? The rest is not from that same truck as far as anyone would know. ;)

Love the green and reddish "patina" on that '51 front end, and the grille is a nice size! Think you have a jewel in the making there, and maybe TWO. GO FOR IT !!! :D

Latest posts

Back