55 IH Cabover build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoitink

Well I've decided to start my cab over seeing as I've collected a few parts to get the ball rolling. So lets get the ball rolling.

This is how everything started the wife and I where coming back from the Road Rocket Rumble this year, and spotted this gem around Detroit lakes.

3.jpg

Fast forward a little and I found 1978 Cadillac Eldorado FWD and striped er down which didn't put up to much of a fight.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Next was the IH and again went apart quite nicely.

4.jpg

Next was sliding the Caddy under it's new home.

6.jpg

5.jpg

Fit was pretty good so fare I have since moved the cab a little more forward and squared er up in the fenders better.

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

Little scaffolding for the rear mounts

9.jpg

Up on the slate will be to move the pass body mount over to clear the alternator and make the valve cover accessible in case I have to do some work to the motor on that side.

11.jpg

Pass side is fine with lots of room

12.jpg

Front Rad cradle has lots of room with the stock rad and A/C condenser.

13.jpg

That's it for now have to make up a brake pedal assembly and do up the steering column yet.

The plan for the truck will be to add a sleeper and put a flatbed on the back and make a hauler our of it. That's why I chose the FWD so I can have a pretty low deck on the truck.

cool

subscribed,

l want to something like that someday.

theres a 1941 chevy 2 1/2 ton here in town that did kind of the same thing, a tornado frame he cut right behind the cab and cut a car trailer frame off where it come out at the front of the bed and grafted the two together, it sits low, has the tandem rear tires and looks great.

here's a couple l found like that:

http://whatareyouworkinon.com/category/tags/car-hauler

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1067049-cool-looking-monkey-face-coe-car-hauler.html

Later :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah seen those and what I'm basing mine on also have a line on a trailer that I'll prob use for the back half easier and cheaper than making. But never know yet.

subscribed,

l want to something like that someday.

theres a 1941 chevy 2 1/2 ton here in town that did kind of the same thing, a tornado frame he cut right behind the cab and cut a car trailer frame off where it come out at the front of the bed and grafted the two together, it sits low, has the tandem rear tires and looks great.

here's a couple l found like that:

http://whatareyouworkinon.com/category/tags/car-hauler

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1067049-cool-looking-monkey-face-coe-car-hauler.html

Later :cool:

It's a natural.....!!!

Used to have a lot of motorhomes with the old toro front drive.....GMC's...big bulbus things that had dual rear axles.....worked really well on those....looks pretty darn good under that COE...nice job...[cl

Got some work done this weekend while I wait for some steering parts to come in.

Got my brake booster mounted and hooked up, still will have to make a brace inside yet.

15.jpg

Also got my fuel tank mounted still have to hook up the plumbing.

16.jpg

17.jpg

Also started on the floor till I ran outta tin, and got my steering column mounted.

18.jpg

19.jpg

I also found a stock style steel wheel and mounted the tire looks much better than the fwd ones.

20.jpg

Last edited:
So got some more done on the IH.

Got a shifter linkage working may still need a little adjustment but seems to work.

21.jpg

22.jpg

Also made some seat brackets for the seats.

23.jpg

24.jpg

Got my floor going. "I really have to find my camera as this cell phone junk really sucks"

25.jpg

26.jpg

Yesterday got my steering joints and got started on it last night. Their from a Isuzu Rodeo they reverse the steering so by using 2 of them I'll correct my steering.

27.jpg

Mocked up

28.jpg

Made it to bolt up in case I ever have to remove the fan shroud.

29.jpg

Hopefully I can get the other half of the steering done tonight.

Well got the rear part of the steering going and drove it around the shop a little the system works great.Would have pictures but the cell phone took such crappy pictures. On a side note I did find my camera lol

So I started smoothing out the dash.

30.jpg

31.jpg

Next was getting the heater box in I have an old van outside and the heater box looked usable on it for this project.

Everything ready to cut
32.jpg

33.jpg

First of a bunch of cuts and a test fit
34.jpg

35.jpg

Fitting the front blower unit.
36.jpg

The inside.
37.jpg

With dash.
38.jpg

Also started setting up the battery box.
39.jpg

Not sure how I missed the start of this build but glad I found it now!!! I love this!! What are your plans for finishing off the back? Making a hauler? Very well done so far!

Subscribed! [P

Well got lots done this past week.

Made a cover for the hole in the floor where my air cleaner is from an old road sign. Think the one I chose is fitting for the motor and overall of the vehicle and all lol

Mark up to cut the outside ring off.
41.jpg

After a little work on the E-wheel
42.jpg

43.jpg

Kinda don't want to cover it up now when I get to doing the flooring haha
44.jpg

Next up was I needed a fuel filler and had to fix some rust at the same time.
45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

Lower patch
48.jpg

All finished up for now
49.jpg

Next was glass which I broke as usual lol. My dilemma here as I can't order new glass for the IH, at least all my attempts have failed.
So as a work around I walked around the yard and kept laying the glass down on windshields till something lined up. Turns out a 78 Rancharo has the same curve.

50.jpg

So after a little tracing this is what I hope to have.
51.jpg

After some cutting.
52.jpg

53.jpg

Just mocked up in the truck. Gonna just glue this on in for now even with the break. and hunt around for a original one. The one I cut is still better than the one I had with all the holes in it haha

54.jpg

Next up was some major surgery.

Prepping the frame for the cut.

55.jpg

The donor be sacrificed for the cause.

56.jpg

First cut

57.jpg

58.jpg

Lining things up

59.jpg

After some beefing up to rid the truck of some bounce.

60.jpg

Well got lots done this past week.

Made a cover for the hole in the floor where my air cleaner is from an old road sign. Think the one I chose is fitting for the motor and overall of the vehicle and all lol

Mark up to cut the outside ring off.
41.jpg

After a little work on the E-wheel
42.jpg

43.jpg

Kinda don't want to cover it up now when I get to doing the flooring haha
44.jpg

Next up was I needed a fuel filler and had to fix some rust at the same time.
45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

Lower patch
48.jpg

All finished up for now
49.jpg

Next was glass which I broke as usual lol. My dilemma here as I can't order new glass for the IH, at least all my attempts have failed.
So as a work around I walked around the yard and kept laying the glass down on windshields till something lined up. Turns out a 78 Rancharo has the same curve.

50.jpg

Latest posts

Back