58 willys

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
59 Willy Wagon

I love the look of your rat!! I am doing a 59 Willy Wagon with a SBC 350 (wife wanted a family Rat) and it looks like a woody!! Willys I think are a dying breed unless you have a CJ version. Keep up the cool work, I know I am enjoying my time with my Willy!! hahaha[;)[;)[cl

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 59 willy rat rodding 005.jpg
    59 willy rat rodding 005.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 26
slow goin

Been a while but im makin little progress, when I can. OH ya found out it's a 56 not a 58, anyway..... Finally got the floor done, and have been painting stuff. Rebuilt the 8.8 with 4.11 posi, speedway headers THANKS for all the great info

Attachments

• 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 44
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 071.JPG
    071.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 073.JPG
    073.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 39
This is a cool ride! i have a willys cab myself. you might have just givin me some insparation to get started. :D how much did you chop out of the top?

Nice build!
Good to see you raising up your future hot rod buddy.
I think a modified Willys grill would look great.
Chop it, narrow it and hang it!
Just a thought.

POPS

Been wondering what happened to you. :)

The truck is looking great! [cl[cl As for the chop, mine is 6" too but if I had it to do over I'd take 8" ..........plenty of headroom in those bubble tops. :D

Its been a while

Hi everybody Im still going, slow but going!! Got a of little things done in the past few months. Just got the motor kinda running.....having some fuel issues as this is my first tunnel ram, has a bad off idle stumble but up high it runs great. I am thinking 50cc pump kits? Also a timing issue...I have a mechanical advance distributor, and I cant get the mark on the balancer to come down to the pointer it runs best with the mark straight up an down! it moves around when I adjust the dist but I think its way advanced. I know I need to give a lot more details to get advice so I will get all the info on the motor together>I know the block # is 3970010 head # is 3973487 I don't know what size cam it has. I didn't build the motor I traded a $500 hunting rifle for the motor with the tunnel ram, pete gear drive, th400 manual valve body tranny! Thanks for all the great info you folks provide to the young guys like me!!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Tunnel rams always give trouble unless everything is just right.I have tried running them for 30 years and all mine black smoke at idle.They look so cool I am going to try another one on my woodie project.It is an Edelbrock TR2X on 454.I dread trying to tune it.But I am going to give it a try.
They can be made to run perfect,if you know how to tune for them.Every car show has plenty of them driving around just fine.Maybe I will get lucky this time.
Good luck with yours.
I like your willys project.[dr

I put Holley kits in both the carb just before they went on so I think there ok. Floats are set right and I am using a stock fuel pump for now, I think my timing issue is more of the problem. It has a stock balancer and an erson timing cover with just a pointer so I don't really get that? I believe the initial timing should be around 10 degrees? But I don't know how to find it, do I need degree tape around the balancer? If I put it even close to the mark it won't even run, it seems to run best with the mark straight up, but then I can't get the idle down, What should this motor idle at anyway? It has a mechanical distributor, and I don't know what springs are in it. I also have a vacuum advance dist i could try? I cant think of what would cause this timing problem? I made sure I was not a tooth off or wrong firing order? Mabe a vacuum leak? Any thoughts from the EXPERTS would be great!!!!!!!

Last edited:
no imput on your problem, i'm just the new guy,

but i love the cab and style of your project. love the square and tall look. 6in chop does look good, but 8in would be a bit more radical!!!

headlight mounts are perfect! and the red inside is killer! two kirkly alum racing seats mayhaps?

Problem solved

I figured it out....secondary set screws were open a bit causing high idle. I quit trying to use a timing light and went with a vacuum gauge and timed it to highest manifold vacuum. I always try to over think things, "keep it simple stupid" is what PoPs always said! I still have off idle stumble so I ordered 50cc pump kits. Another thing...I have been researching about electric fuel pumps and they say don't put a paper filter between it and the tank just a screen? Is it that big of a deal to use a paper canister type filter? I already bought one from Speedway.

Latest posts

Back