59 ford f100 steering secter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410merc

hi guys, well I got the front axle and back axle together now its time to start on the steering sector , I want to rig it up with the draglink right beside the frame rails , now here are my questions I have a sector and complete colume from a 59 ford f100 pickup has anyone ever used one of these ? and the colum looks to be kind of long could I shorten this up somehow? or do you guys think i should look around for a whole different unit ? this is my first time ever working on a steering sector, thanks guys

hi guys, well I got the front axle and back axle together now its time to start on the steering sector , I want to rig it up with the draglink right beside the frame rails , now here are my questions I have a sector and complete colume from a 59 ford f100 pickup has anyone ever used one of these ? and the colum looks to be kind of long could I shorten this up somehow? or do you guys think i should look around for a whole different unit ? this is my first time ever working on a steering sector, thanks guys

Did you mention what type of frame you are using?
Lots of people use the steering column and box from the F-1 series. Which is earlier than what you have and most likely shorter.
Having said that you can adapt what you have to work. The shaft will need to be cut down to shorten it. You can use any one of the numerous steering shaft u-joint couplers and do it your self.
Measure twice. Cut once. Pic is just for an example.
Torchie.
Torchie.

Attachments

• 91031636_L.jpg
    91031636_L.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1
thanks torchie , I am using a stock model a frame of course I plan on boxing it , I took the secter off the pickup today and its a gemmer , what bothered me about this outfit was the tube around it but after looking at my ford truck shop manuel I don't think it would hurt to remove that tube and shorten the shaft it kind of looks like the tube is just a covering for the shaft guess I didn't know if having the shaft exposed where it comes out of the sector would hurt anything or not still wonder that , how did you guys mount them with a boxed frame , I seen one that was mounted on top the frame rail , because with the frame boxed you can't really mount it inside the channel

You should be able to remove the tube. Shorten the shaft then also shorten the tube. There should be some sort of seal where the shaft enters the box so having some shaft exposed shouldn't be a concern. Some people just run the tube thru the firewall and then stop.
On a boxed frame most people fab a bracket that mounts the box to the top of the frame rail.
I would encourage you to start a build thread and also start to post some pics of your project if you can. Any details you can provide will help make it easier for people to answer your questions and help you out.
Torchie.

that's what I need to do , when I get to the city I have to get another camera I can't get the pic's to load for anything the old camera never a problem , but on the up side glad I took that steering secter out yesterday , snowing now and looking at a blizzard

Latest posts

Back