60 Catalina Suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punisher7

After I get my body issues straightened out I am planning on lowering this Catalina.. I have lowered newer cars in the past with factory made kits.. I have never tried lowering a car without these kits. I am hoping to get it on bags probably next fall. I want to clean up some of the rust on the frame and replace some floor pans 1st. That and I don't want to spend the money just yet. I am looking for an economical way to lower the car without giving up the ride completely. It has shocks and springs all the way around.
No I dont plan on keeping it pink in case you were wondering..

Attachments

• catalina 011.jpg
    catalina 011.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 13
Is it coil sprung all the way around? Cut a coil or two out of each spring. That's the free way of doing it.

Try Fatman Fabricators in North Carolina. He makes a LOT of different parts all for suspensions and they are top quality too! If you go the coil cutting route, I would only cut on coil at a time and check the height! Too many and the ride will suffer. Remember to cut them with a cutoff wheel and not a torch! Too much heat. Good luck with the Pontiac and don't forget the pics!..CR

Thanks guys, I will probably just cut the spings down to start it out. I sent Fatman an email asking what they carry, I will wait and see what they have to say before I cut anything.

I would only cut on coil at a time and check the height! Too many and the ride will suffer. Remember to cut them with a cutoff wheel and not a torch! Too much heat.

i talked to Charlie at Charlie's Drop Shop of Portland and he's cut hundreds of springs with a torch, remember the part you cut is only the end of the spring which is not going to move because it's in the spring pocket, and i quenched the cut end in a sawdust and oil mix to cool it faster. cuting 1 coil will give you about 2" of drop on a car your size. i did 1 in the rear and 1.5 coils up front, it firmed the ride up and it's not harsh at all, remember that's a 4000lbs car, if it was a Miata or Toyota i'd be more worried about the ride being too harsh, but you've got lots to play with...

good luck and send some before and after pics.

Thanks for the input guys. Once I get the motor I will get pics posted. Once the engine is in I will be working on this thing non stop until I get her on the road. I am sure that I will have more questions in a few days lol

Latest posts

Back