62 Nova speedo cluster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thigh19

I have a 62 Nova speedo cluster I'm putting into my willys wagon rat. All I really care about is the fuel gauges ,but can't find any info on how to wire it. 2 prongs. I'm assuming one hot and one to the sending unit, but don't want to burn it up. I've got the 30 ohm sending unit already installed. Does there need to be some kind of resistor between the power and contact?
Any help will be appreciated, thanx.

DONE a little research. Guess from 62 thru 66 gm used a shunt to step down voltage to the fuel gauge. Found someone who reproduces one but they're $60.
Does anyone know a work around?
Thought about ballast resistor but that would only step it down to 9 volts.
Can multiple ballast resistors be hooked up in series and what would be the math?
Any input would be greatly appreciated

I didn't know they used a step down at all.
Runtz voltage reducer/regulator if you need to go to 6 volts
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Runtz...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=COmAnrzIjb8CFdBi7Aodlw0AcA

91064101_L.jpg

I was told 6 volts.
With both gauges, no power to them, they read full. Does this mean that they're bad?

Hello Thigh, GM gauges read 'full' when no power was there, for a while in the sixties. Most of my learning is to do with Ford dashes but it might help. The Runtz resistors didn't seem to be enough reduction, when fed 12 volts. I tried a 3.5 Ohm ballast resistor and that wasn't enough either, so I stacked resistors by putting another 1.5 Ohm one in series with the 3.5 but it wasn't enough, yet. I finally found an adjustable resistor and kept setting it higher and test driving it until I was happy with my temperature gauge reading. The Ohms resistance setting was 17.4. 17.0 or 17.1 would have been better but I couldn't set it right there as the incremental jumps were too big on that resistor. My gas gauge is still not reading right but that may be from my digging in the back of the gauge, trying to adjust it mechanically. Good Luck.

Look for one at LMC or MAC. The C10 probably used the same one as the Nova. But then, the replacement might be a generic that doesn't quite match the original GM.

Latest posts

Back