'64 galaxie 500

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, still waiting on money to get essential parts and gaskets and stuff, but met a guy with a load of old parts i may be able to get as part trade for swapping a motor (if i can deal with him long enough to do the job. he sure likes to talk............) may end up with a free motor, although i'd rather just set up the one i've got, at least then i know exactly what i'm dealing with on the inside. but 390 gt heads and exhaust, maybe a different intake and carb. definitely the wheels i need (and maybe some i don't) might get an old paxton supercharger. guys just got like an acre of shipping containers full of parts and a field of cars to pick from. hopefully it will work out.

first welds with a mig today. nothing to really show or i'd post pics. got to practice practice practice. played with it for a little while though, made a couple of sound welds, most of them garbage though, but seeing a little of how it actually works. the good ones didn't even warp the metal though. got so 14g(?) steel that was the mount for a sign outta my backyard. have to go find an old hood or something. [;)

started welding on the body today. (hair raising...) worked on a hole in the wheel well, need a better light so i can actually see what i'm doing in there. but got it about halfway done (at least that small part). probably one of the more difficult areas i'll have to patch just based on it's location and the angle i have to get to it from, i'd say it's going well. been practicing with the welder a lot, working on thinner sheetmetal now. i wouldn't call myself a pro by any means, but i'm starting to make some decent welds. i'll post up some pics in a day or two.

some pics after starting to cut out the rot, and the patch material. i'll put some up when i've got a little more patched. forgive the quality of the pics, the screen on my camera is broken, so i'm basically shooting in the dark. i'm trying to be gentle with this as it's my first shot at welding anything that matters. basically trying to cut out the rot and seal it up until i've got more experience and material and can just make some new wheel wells, but i've got to preserve whats there.

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3467.jpg
    IMG_3467.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3468.jpg
    IMG_3468.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3469.jpg
    IMG_3469.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3470.jpg
    IMG_3470.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 25
the beginning of the patches. definitely not world class welds or body work, but i think they should be good enough to hold and fit the bill for the time being. really just trying to stave off the rust and make it solid until i can do it right. i think they will look alright once it's ground down and smoothed out though. forgive the poor pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpg
    IMG_3472.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3473.jpg
    IMG_3473.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 17
I've seen worse welds ....my own. ;) Are you using a stitch welding method? (Keeps the heat warpage down while allowing a good penetrating bead.)

sometimes, i'm treating it sort of like torquing down a head. a little here, a little here, until it's sealed all around. using a piece of aluminum to back it up which is saving me the burn through on a lot of places. the angle of approach makes it a little difficult, too. i started trying to weld it from inside the well, but the shield i was using to keep the heat off the brake lines and everything made it impossible to see what i was doing. i may still change directions with it later. i don't think the other wheel well is as bad off as this one. i think they will be the hardest to get to that i'm going to have to do. mostly why i started there. got to get new grinding wheels so i can clean them up properly.

Good stuff--always admired the 64--had a couple. Grandad always pronounced them Gal-AX-ys.. Get that AX in there.

MO Pix--Mo Pix.

Good project-enjoying the show.

PA41

so since i finally got it legal, i decided i was gonna take it out for a little run around town, changed the oil, gave it a shot of gas, started it up to let it get warm, busted a radiator hose.:mad:
of course none of the parts stores around here carry hoses for this, so i've got to order them off the net. not really a huge deal, but enough to drive me nuts. i could just patch the hose and run it a little, but i'm going to be patient and wait and order up the new ones. i don't mind nearly as much sitting and looking at a vehicle that i can't drive because it's not put together yet and not legal, etc. but it kills me to sit and stare at something that is all legal, runs, drives.... and not get to move it at all. i need to stomp on a gas pedal man. i'll probably drain out the fuel and weld some more while i wait on parts but it kills me to do it. but i've been catching up on some old movies (i've never seen) in the mean time. two lane blacktop, le mans, bullit, vanishing point...

severed in the navy with a fella that had one race weight with 427 with 2 fours and 4 speed, one bad car, even had the tear drop scoop. good luck on your build, great car to start with.

[cl

Latest posts

Back