65 c10 stepside suspension swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfgt

I was looking for some parts for my 53 truck build, and came home with another project. Wife is SOOOO Happy !!!!!

I picked up a 65 c10 stepside. Needs a lot of luv, but runs drives. It came with a ton of extra parts including a complete rolling chassis out of a 83 c10 shortbed no motor/tranny.

I want to lower from stock ht 2-3 on front, and want disc brakes. Im reading a lot of different ways to do this. Swap whole front, Dont do that! just swap spindles.

My plan is to have a 65 daily driver. 250i6/700r4/373 posi. I want decent ride would like to keep coils, and add some sway bars.

Please give me your opinions. I know some of you have done this conversion.

Thanks in advance
Jim

On my 69 C10, I used a donor 82 C10 front suspension. I unbolted the lower A frame U bolts that go up into the cross member and then the 2 upper A frame nuts from the studs on side of frame where the shims are. Dropped he pitman arm and drag link down and drug it all together from under one truck to the other. It all bolts right in.
I have heard some of the earlier 60s had tortion bars on front, but if its A frame setup I believe it is the same as my truck.
I also used a 1972 manual brake master cylinder with the original prop. valve with the disc and my brakes work great.
Hope this helps

BTW I ordered 4" lowering springs from summit racing for rear and cut 1 full round off front. On my build thread you can see before and after on lowering, might help with an idea on how low ya wanna go.

on my 63 i used a 76 c-10 front end the hole thing it bolted right in that way you don't have to mess with taking the a-arms apart, and i only had to drill two holes for the idler arm. you can cut coils or buy new springs, you can get dropped spindles. for rear make you some blocks and new u-bolts.

Latest posts

Back