66 mustang rat/hot rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellerd123

thoughts and ideas plz., im planing on primering it flat black, with white walls and baby moon wheels, plus im gonna lowwer the back slightly, and im gonna redo the intireor in blck and white with brushed aluminom trim, then im gonna replace all the chrome and trim out side the car

:confused: [;) [ddev

Last edited:
personal opinion here, but i think i would like it better with a set of old school slotted mags and maybe outline white lettered bias ply tires......would look like those cars modified "back in the day"

weren't many mustangs running around with wide whites and baby moons in the 60's/70's.....just my 2 cents

And my personal opinion. A flat black Mustang is a flat black Mustang. A rat rod? Not so much. I am with HP on this one. However. It is your car, and doing something different is the name of the game.

I dont think a 66 mustang would be considered a rat. What you would end up with is a primered mid 60,s car that would basicly looks unfinished. As far as putting wide white wall tires on it, you better carry spoon with you so everyone who sees it can gouge their eyes out.:D

Personally when I think of a 66 Mustang....rat rod doesn't come to mind. If anything I think I'd do an Old School Gasser or Street Machine with it but not really a ratrod. Maybe some oversized Classic Firestone Cheaters in the rear with pizza cutters up front....

66 Mustang.....take the body and put a complete C4 or C5 corvette suspension under it (along with a worked LS motor and 6 speed). Then you can go to an "All Chevy" show and raise a few eyebrows,but still get a lot of compliments..... or take it to an "All Ford" show and be prepared to defend yourself (you are a black belt, right?).

Actually I've had this idea (corvette under pinnings / Mustang thing) in my head for years, and really want to do it to a 64 - 66 Stang. So why don't you donate your mustang to the project? Oh.... and no I'm not a black belt, I just don't give a damn what other people think about what I build

A Mustang is not a RAT ROD and never will be. Go ahead and paint it flat black, paint the rims red and put some wide whites on.....your car..do what YOU want...but don't call it a RAT ROD!!

I don't have a pic of it but my son did his '66 Mustang in flat black. It was several different colors and he wanted it all one color until he could afford to paint it. Looked kinda plain so he added white Shelby stripes.

Don't do wide whites. It just won't look right. Dump the front a tad and run some Ansen Sprints, chromies with baby moons or American five spokes.

I was in high school when Mustangs first hit the streets and i don't remember ever seeing one with wide whites. Occasionally saw one with chromies, baby moons and narrow whites. But never wide whites.

Yeah - don't call it a rat rod.... call it a traditional hot rod (and post about it on the HAMB) :D:D Get a couple junk tires and paint em wide white - see what it looks like. I'm thinking the red rims my look like your trying too hard. Maybe a 90% cap so a small red line of rim shows.
normal_100_1557.jpg

I like the look of this OK.
bags021zd0.jpg

I don't like the look of this.
delorean%20whitewall%20tires.png

I had a few primered black Stangs back in the day but they were never rats. I agree with everyone else. Sell it and buy an old beater to rat rod.

I still say try painting a couple tires and see what it looks like - I'm curious.

How about a Corvette suspension and a Hemi in a Stang with wide whites and red rims? Make everyone mad!

thoughts on it after opinions looked at

lol, wow, well the wide whites were jus a thought and ......now there not, but after iv got every bodys opinion on it i think ill just go ahead and restore it to original, i have a 1927 whippit thats pic. in one of my posts and im just gonna go back to rat roding it, and for u chevy guys it just so happens that i purchased a 89 and a 76 corvette last yr

thanx thoe for the opinions guys [P

I say DO IT!!! Under one stipulation though.... when you get it done and go to your first car show or cruise in, video tape every second of it and post it so we can see what fun you had that day! BWA HAHA HA! :eek::eek::eek:

I still say try painting a couple tires and see what it looks like - I'm curious.

How about a Corvette suspension and a Hemi in a Stang with wide whites and red rims? Make everyone mad!

Now ya got me thinking, Hemi with a blower, no hood. Primered black with some ol' school writing on the body. BIG set of wide white, pie crust slicks sticking out the back with black wall skinnies and a straight axle front end with the front end reaching for the sky! It would have to have a hand shaker in it, 4 speed baby! Open headers and a big cam so when you idle through the lacal cruise spot the car lurches forward from the lope of the cam. Gasser 'Stang!!! Oh I forgot this is about rat rodding a Mustang. Sorry, my mind slipped into coolsville for a minute...:D

mustangs should be restored, a ratrod is a forgotten car that would have been sent to the crusher if it wasnt pieced back together with whatever is handy at the time... i dont think you would be happy with the end result. just my opinion..JM[P

Latest posts

Back