6v to 12 v conversion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnin Fatties

I am considering the purchase of a 30 model a p/u powered by a 1941 flathead 21A with 6v generator. I would like to know how much work is involved in switching to 12v. What needs to be changed? I searched this forum and didnt see this asked so thought I would post. Thanks in advance

It's really not hard. I converted my 34 Ford with a 48 59ab engine.
I changed to a 12 volt generator and regulator, 12 volt coil, 12 volt wiper motor or you could just use a volatage reducer/resistor. I didn't do anything to the distributor or starter motor except a 12 volt solenoid. It turns over really good with the 6 volt starter just don't do it for very long. And changed all the light bulbs and gauges.

All 12 volt bulbs, wiper motor can use a resistor www.empius.com (Old bug guys use them all the time) starter is fine, mag or 12v coil, anything you want to keep 6V that is low amp you can use a hacked up up cell phone charger 5.5v output only 2 amps available though. 6V olt system were higher amp than 12V so the wire size is good. Go for halogen bulbs sence your upgrading the voltage. Some of the bulb sizes can make you cuss, look to european car bulbs

Latest posts

Back