'87 BMW Strange twist of fate

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoShopSkills

I conceded to a buddy of mine that told me, ". . .wanting to build a rat rod and put thousands of hours into a silly car" was a "foolish idea I just need to just get out of my head".

I told my wife Wednesday night that I would first rebuild the burned up engine in the old 325IS… Then if after a month of greasy fingernails, waiting for part from online and mail order houses, cleaning 10 year outside sitting filth, banged up knuckles and cost over-runs, I still had a burning desire to work on a car, I'd sell it and start from scratch on what I really want to build. I planned to move the car into the garage Saturday morning!

Thursday night a frontal line passed over the house and snapped the top 50' off a 30" around pine tree and you guessed it, it fell on the car. So now crossroads. Rebuild it as an open cockpit roadster like an Audi TT? Junk it? Scavenge rat rod parts off it? chop, tub and lower it? Turbo charge it? V8 it? Either the sky's the limit or it was a sign from God to just back off the project, I'm not sure. But I'm mulling it over as a project. From previous discussions here I know that it won't float as a fender removal eyesore, but the interior and suspension are light years ahead of starting from scratch…

I spent an hour or so cleaning up the broken glass and tree mess. The car's been sitting outside for almost 10 years since the motor quit. It had previously suffered falling limb damage which busted out the passenger side window, but really still not in horrible shape. Wish I was better with photo shop.

A BMW one of these would be cool:
Racer04-1.jpg

That's what I was thinking, chop off the top and make it a two seater roadster![cl

...or a two seater the hard way...XKE Jag style. Move the cockpit rearward! Shorten the ass-end and stretch the front. all while keeping the stock wheelbase [;)

Jaguar-E-Type-Eagle-Speedster-13.jpg

Last edited:
FIRST I WOULD START TRIMMING AND CUTTING DOWN THE DANG TREES THAT KEEP SMASHING THINGS.
then i would turn it into the 1st idea.

Hey Flipper!

I really like your "aft cockpit" concept. The hood lines would be easy enough to extend aftward. I suppose I could make the doors either non functional and just panel the sides as a convertible or maybe move them back like this. it'd be cool to rebuild the top as a removable hard top while just more or less making the rear seats the new only seats?

Just not sure if it will look right.

Hey Flipper!

I really like your "aft cockpit" concept. The hood lines would be easy enough to extend aftward. I suppose I could make the doors either non functional and just panel the sides as a convertible or maybe move them back like this. it'd be cool to rebuild the top as a removable hard top while just more or less making the rear seats the new only seats?

Just not sure if it will look right.

Go speedster! Maybe his and hers windshield pods?

stratos035.jpg

And I quote " I still had a burning desire to work on a car," Clean it up, cut off the damage and look at it, maybe for a long time, I took about a month on the sprint before we cut any thing. As long as you have a good running gear you build any thing [;) Who knows it might turn out to cool and some things no else has done. [cl

We'll be waiting [P[P

Latest posts

Back