92 GMC Rat Rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrocarbon Rocket

I've got a 92 GMC extended cab long bed truck that I'm starting to cut on. To me a rot rod don't have to be super old, just built from what you have access to and built with some ratty taste.

I will be moving the cab back 3ft almost touching the rear tires. The engine and core support will also be moved back putting the radiator just behind the front tires. I have a 57 GMC truck bed that i will be cutting to fit whats left of the rear. Up front I plan on using only the center of the grill and angling the fenders and hood to that point with bucket lights coming from the side. I will be lowering it as much as possible and maybe even chop the top or section it 8". I also got a 68 gallon propane tank to put in the bed. I can't wait to get it huffing the propane.

This was a decent truck to start with but its just setting ruining and I don't have the $$ to build an old model rat from scratch so, I build with what I got. I don't think this truck would sale for enough to build another from scratch anyway.

I don't have any before pics and I already have it stripped to just the cab. I will try to get some stuff up before too long.

I am so thankful to find a site thats awsome and family friendly like this one that i can post a little progress on. Thanks owners staff and or Moderators.

Well, 3ft is too far back but, It looks like the secondary drive shaft will be the perfect link with the primary gone. The IFS out in front of the radiator is the goofy looking thing about it. I may do a straight axle one of these days and that should shorten the snout abit.

I am definitely doing this on a budget. I decided to move the cab, engine, trans, and core support back all at the same time. That way I didn't loose any antifreeze or freon to the ac. It all slid back very smooth with nothin hanging or riping.

I will get up some pics hopefully before next weekend.

Since I had this brain fart and took action before the smell hit me in the face, I have done alot of reading on this site and have learned that this build will not be popular at all. After pulling this thing out of the shop, I see why. This thing is UGLY. What I still have in my head will look alot better but its gonna take alot more to get it there. I guess I've gone too far too turn back now.

My next plans are to go ahead and create a straight axle up front. I think I'm gonna try to go with some 8 lug stuff and go with dual wheels in the rear. I may even go with some big truck stuff if I can find some with hydraulic brakes and 22.5 rims. Will be lowering it as low as possible too.

This build is taking me way too long. On most all my other projects, I've been able to make drastic changes and at least drive it to town to fetch parts and keep my intrest up. This season at work has been so busy I don't even think about looking at it when I get home. I'm very thankful for the work, I could be laid off without any money for a project.

I love the way it runs on propane. I left the computer hooked up and I'm using the factory throttle body with propane mixer on top. I only unplugged and removed the injectors. Computer thinks its still in control and all the fast Idle at cold and when A/C comes on still works. I think its even making spark advance and needed timing adjustments.

Any way, here it is.

Attachments

• SDC10081.jpg
    SDC10081.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 169
Definitely get 22.5's and drop the cab as far as you can. That would be a good start. If you can find an old farm or delivery truck you might score 22.5's with a straight axles and duals. The bigger stuff will balance the bulky cab out.

That cab does not have nearly enough rust........ Tell you what why dont you let me trade you a black one that the cab corners and rockers are pretty well gone on and you can start with that...........

I would chop it drastically. I would build a home made Z frame in the dirt(long wheel base) and put it in a flat color. And a grill shell with a nasty attitude.

As grilles go, don't even think about using a upright 32 style grille. They never look at all right on these kinds of builds. It needs to be wider than tall or the proportions won't match the cab - especially if it's chopped.

As grilles go, don't even think about using a upright 32 style grille. They never look at all right on these kinds of builds. It needs to be wider than tall or the proportions won't match the cab - especially if it's chopped.

My plans are to use the factory grill and cut off both sides, then bring the hood into the cutt off grill. That will alow me to keep my radiator and a/c. I was even considering pulling in the fenders to that point.

Like I said, It looked good in my head but is becoming a turd in reality.

Latest posts

Back