'A' gas tank removal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

I'm trying to pull my gas tank to clean it out and seal it. Couple silly questions maybe for someone who has done this before.

Do I need to remove the windshield? Seems like it will be in the way, or can I just unscrew the screw into the bracket and swing it up and out of the way enough to remove the tank?

Also it seems that there is something holding the tank down still, it moves and I can get a gap the whole way around it, it just won't pop out. I have removed all the bolts to the dash panel, the screws from the firewall, the clamps to the cowl, steering column bracket etc. etc. I just wasnt sure if there was a trick, I didnt want to force it and either jam it some how that I can't get it out, or damage the paint as I do not plan on painting the car.

Any help/words of advice are appreciated. Thanks,

Same thing herre

I'm going to remove the tank completely from my "A" 5window and use the space for "other things" but before I get into it too deep I'd also appreciate any insight on the job. PLEASE ???

The top of the tank is the top of the cowl.
It bolts across the rail at he base of the windshield,and a couple bolts down each side at the seam.
If you take the dash rail off,it should be obvious.

other parts

HI
I took some off a 30 body style and they come off easy when all clamps and screws are removed. see picture. I have not done the 28-29 style body.
have fun
Tom

Attachments

• 30fordsella A.jpg
    30fordsella A.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 16
i ended up having to take the windsheild off, I dont think there is a way around that. And also I had to take off the part that acourtjester is indicating that you don't remove. Quick simple run down of what I did.

- remove the hood
- remove the pan head screws from firewall to gas tank
- remove dash
- remove bolts from dash support to gas tank
- remove gas tank clamps on both sides of tank
- undo the steering column support
- remove windshield
- gas tank popped right out

Ended up with quite the pile of parts to just get the tank out, but its out.

30 FORD Gastank Removal

I have seen where a guy put the top-side of the tank/cowl on hinges,
held the cowl down with compression clips(from the under-side) and he could un-do the clips and flip-up the cowl up to get into the old tank location to "more easily" get to the electronics etc under the cowl/tank-area from the outside............

That possibility "appeals" to me...........
Anyone have apositive comment about that ?

Another alternative - '29 A gas tank

Building a '29 A tudor sedan with the stock gas tank in place.

I cut three rectangular holes evenly spaced across the bottom of the tank close to the firewall to allow access to the inside of the tank which hides them from view. Placed some "railroad track" (metal edge protector) around the cut edges of the holes to prevent chaffing of any wires passing thru them.

I installed my gauges, ignition, light, and other switches on the passenger facing surface of the tank.

Came out really nice, looks cool and retains the stock tank/cowl look.

THANKS for the reply, again.
I'm leaning towards the total removal of the tank at this time.

The previous owner(s) did the hole-cutting-in-the-tank and it's a total mess.

I have the whole floor and rear-end completely removed and being replaced first and then it's on to "other things" in the re-build.

Thanks for the info and suggestions
TexA

Latest posts

Back