a good reason for a road trip

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
ok
as some of you may know.
i just installed a new 302 long block i bought from orielly's AKA checker autoparts.
and yesterday gave it it's 1st oil change after the break in period.
also i did some quick math.
i am getting 19.5 mpg in the city (lots an lotsa stoplights.)
and i am running a 500cfm holley 2 bbl carb
so..
now i simply HAVE to drive somewhere relatively far away.tto see what my hwy mpg is
i am thinking of going to farmington nm about 250 miles each way to visit my bro's in the BLACKTOP KREEPERS C.C.
this will be purely in the interest of the scientifical community you understand.

IMG_0261.jpg

As long as its purely in a scientific manner you should be ok!![cl

Ps....any reason is a good one for a road trip....

Yes for the good of mankind, by all means do it! ;)

And to think, some on this board have accused me of having too much fun :confused: Gee Billy, you make me look like a 'stick in the mud' :p

Go cruise and have a good time man! :cool:

Oh, and take us some pics!

My 23 had a 350 Vortec Chevy with a TH 350 and 3:00 gears in the rear. That thing sipped fuel, I got 25 mpg regularly but on one leg of a trip one time I got 30 mpg on the interstate. My gears were so high and I had 30 inch tall slicks that I was just off idle at 60 mph.

Wish my 27 were the same, but 4.30 gears are not exactly good for economy. :eek: But it does get 19-21 on a trip, and about 10 around town.

Don

I didn't realize we needed a "reason" to go on a trip lol. We went to Michigan once to go to meijers. (about 3 hours one way) just because we could.

Where the heck to you live....Lima Ohio....????

I didn't realize we needed a "reason" to go on a trip lol. We went to Michigan once to go to meijers. (about 3 hours one way) just because we could.

Thats about 3 hours from me......but....To go to Meijer's???? Was that really the reason or was it to work out some bugs....?? Kidding....Nice of you to visit....:D

Any road trip is a good road trip

Good job Billy. I did 600 miles this weekend and the best i could do was 16.8 with my old tired 302. Maybe it's the dual quads and 3:40 gears or just to much foot.
[cl[cl :cool:

Good job Billy. I did 600 miles this weekend and the best i could do was 16.8 with my old tired 302. Maybe it's the dual quads and 3:40 gears or just to much foot.
[cl[cl :cool:

with the 32 year old engine i was getting 20 mpg hwy.
oh yeah i am running 3.00 gears in my rear.

26 mpg

the areodynamics of this vehicle quickly kill gas milage once you get going over 50 mph
the wind noise is astounding.
think phonebooth in hurricane.

course
i cruise at 80............

road trip.............reason? 1. cause Ya can.
2. available road space
3. perfectly GREAT rod to drive
**pick any or all above or feel free to add your own.**

congrats on the mileage. I wish I could get that. 14.5mpg is a little low for trips, but it is a real fun 14.5mpg. keep rolling my friend.

26 is really good milage. How did the car run down the road ?

Don

the front end gets a bit squirrelly when you hit a bump at freeway speeds.
but i have a feeling that should be expected from a suicide set up that has such limited travel.
i am going to play with tire pressure a bit.

Billy as long as your on the road there should be some scientic testing on top end speed. I know what you mean about wind noise, i've lost most of my hearing from listening to siren to long but still have to use ear plugs.
:confused: I ran out of you whats at 105 mph and it was still pulling:cool:
Have a good trip and watch out for NM radar, thier sinkie.

Latest posts

Back