A HI-po trumps a po-po

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people just think they are above the law. There was a local EMS unit that use to go light and sirens to pick up lunch at the local McDonalds until they were reported. They both lost there jobs for being stupid.

Also being an instructor and one of the courses I teach is emergency vehicle driving. One part is about drive around regular traffic and the trouble you can get into if you cause a wreck when drive above the speed limit going to an emergency. There has been people that have lost everything from wrecking driving an emergency vehicle.

Lights and sirens do not give then the right to speed, run lights or stop signs or Pass in a unsafe manner. They must us caution at all times and can only pass, run light or stop sign if it can be done in a safe manner and only if you slow down to a speed that you can stop if you have to. .

Here a real scary one. you are the second vehicle heading to a call, you are right behind the first vehicle. (Everyone hear and see the first one but not the second one. How many times have you seen kids run out to see were the fire truck, ems unit or cop is going.) So there you are traveling above the speed limit and all of a sudden there are the kids running out onto the street to see were the first vehicle is going. Something to think about.

Ok done with my rant. That guy deserves anything he gets. The officer that stop him may have saved someone life.

That guy got what he deserved, however, I foresee a war between the police department and state troopers.

One of our Deputies was driving to a hot call down the freeway. A CHP unit falls in behind the Deputy and lights him up. The Deputy pulls over and asks the Chippie why his lights are on. The Chippie said, "You're speeding!". The Deputy explains that he's rolling to a call. The Chippie said, "Your lights and siren weren't on so I'm giving you a ticket!". The Deputy said, "You'd better call a supervisor!". Meantime, the Deputy calls his Sergeant. When the Chippie Sergeant and Deputy Sergeant arrive. The Chippie Sgt said to cite the Deputy. The Deputy Sgt tells both Chippies, they are obstructing his Deputy in the performance of his duty and the both will be arrested.

No Departments in SoCal trusts the CHP

You make some good points HOT40ROD.

When I was a kid we used to chase emergency vehicles on our bikes. A neighborhood kid got clipped by a second vehicle once. (He was VERY lucky he wasn't killed). That's when I learned to pull off the road and stop when you hear a siren. Something many drivers still don't know enough to do. :eek:

Gassersgarage. It's ridiculous that one agency doesn't support the other. You'd think the priority would be public safety, not who can pee the furthest.

In that light, why can't your Deputy just flick on his lights and siren, get on the blower, and tell CHP to back off? In this ideal world, the speeding vehicle is lit and heard. All purposes served.

I saw that on the local news and the cop who was speeding said the lady cop was "Overeacting ! " 120 mph because he was heading to a second job, wonder if he would have taken that excuse from a citizen? :rolleyes:

What is strange is that being a cop he should know the drill about handcuffs and reckless driving, yet he's saying they aren't necessary. I hope his next job is a greeter at WalMart. :mad:

Just like we talked about on that other thread, there are good cops who abide by the laws they are sworn to protect and then there are cops who feel the badge and gun entitle them to special privilages above the rest of us. I see cops everyday doing stuff that they would pull me over for........rolling stops, no turn signals, running red lights, speeding when not going anywhere special, etc.

Don

cops?? //

ya. us and them sometimes,

check out this one here in washington state, cops 2nd DUI problem and still has his badge and SPD is doing a good job of covering for him.

being a 23 year vet, ya think he'd be smarter:eek:

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/seattle/Seattle-police-officer-132805548.html

Was a drunken Seattle police officer on duty?

(photos courtesy Mukilteo PD)

It's been several days since a Seattle Police officer was arrested for DUI after rear ending another car in Mukilteo while driving an unmarked department car.

Despite a request for confirmation, the Seattle Police Department still won't say whether 46-year-old officer John Fox was on duty. 97.3 KIRO FM's Dori Monson argues the public deserves to know.

"This is an agency that's had a ton of problems. We have legitimate, reasonable questions about this and I think that it is flat out wrong of SPD to not come and answer the questions," Monson said on Monday's show.

Listen to Dori calls on SPD to reveal truth about officer DUI

An SPD spokesman refused to answer further questions, saying only that the department stands by its original statement on the arrest.

The male employee is a 23-year veteran of the Seattle Police Department. The employee was driving an unmarked police vehicle assigned to him. It is not immediately clear whether he was on duty or off duty. He will receive an investigatory transfer pending the ongoing investigation.

The Department has initiated the Office of Professional Accountability (OPA) complaint process. The OPA will actively monitor the ongoing City of Mukilteo criminal case for developments. Upon the conclusion of the criminal case, OPA will proceed with a separate administrative investigation into the employee's conduct.

The officer refused a breathalyzer test and was released to an SPD supervisor.

"My guess is they would have said he was not on duty if that's the case but they realize that admitting he was on duty is going to open up Seattle police to tremendous liability," Monson speculates.

(Officers found a number of small bottles of alcohol in Fox's SPD issued SUV)

The man who Fox hit is furious. "We could have been dead," Scott Pratt told KING 5. "That's not a mistake, that's not an accident. That's complete and utter negligence and is [inexcusable] in this world." Pratt says the officer never got out of his car to check on Pratt or his 7-year-old son.

It's not the first time Officer Fox was arrested for DUI. Court records show he served one day in jail, paid a fine and completed alcohol education after a September 1994 DUI arrest in Issaquah.

"More than ever, SPD needs transparency," Monson says.

-Josh Kerns/97.3 KIRO FM

Later:cool:

We just had one this summer. An off duty cop ran head on into a group of motorcyclist there were were going to a friends funeral. He ended you killing two of them and guest what he was drunk.

It seems to me like we're getting more and more "bad cops"...or maybe we just hear about it more now. I don't know what the answer is, but we sure need to do something. Maybe it's just a "human nature" thing...but we still need to try to fix it.

Gassersgarage. It's ridiculous that one agency doesn't support the other. You'd think the priority would be public safety, not who can pee the furthest.

In that light, why can't your Deputy just flick on his lights and siren, get on the blower, and tell CHP to back off? In this ideal world, the speeding vehicle is lit and heard. All purposes served.
Our policy doesn't allow code 3 operation on the freeway. The feeling is, it would cause accidents. Ours was one of the few agencies doesn't allow PIT maneuvers. Get this, we are also not allowed to chase stolen car as it's a property only crime. I'm so glad I retired.

When I was still working, I received a call for assistance because Deputies were chasing a stolen car. The suspect had already sideswiped 6 parked cars. He finally crashed and he was arrested. The 2 Deputies that initiated the pursuit were looking at days off without pay for continuing the pursuit when the suspect failed to yield. The Watch Commander told the "Brass" that if anyone got days off, it should be him since he allowed it.

Back in the '80's, there was an incident where our Deputies, in an unmarked car, were pulled over at gun point, by LAPD. After Sergeants from both agencies responded, the mix up was resolved. LAPD claims they had a rash of robberies, in their area, by phony cops.

The next day, one of our Chiefs went to the LAPD station and asked for documentation about the robberies. The LAPD Captain admitted they lied. Turns out one of the LAPD officers hated Deputies because his wife ran off with one. They were 2 miles out of their jurisdiction. That officer was fired and his partner got desk duty.

The Deputies at the station made a video called, "How to Identify a Deputy Sheriff". It was hilarious and they gave it to the Captain at LAPD. LAPD was not amused. Then Deputies snuck over to LAPD's parking lot and put "Be a Deputy Sheriff" bumper stickers on their cars.

The worst ones I've seen are the volunteer firemen. I used to have some big dufus bubba beernut come past my house in his jacked up 4 door duramax doing 70-80 mph, in a 35, blue light on the dash flashing. I told the chief I was going to file charges for reckless endangerment the next time the big goof come into town that way.
I lost a good friend to an ambulance that ran a red light without the lights or siren on. Troopers are generally better trained I think.

Anyone in Law Enforcement should know the name of Steven Yagman (prince of darkness), He specializes in suing cops. Anyway, one day his wife is driving down PCH in Malibu. She recognizes a local Chippie driving to work in his Vette. The speed limit is 50 and the Chippie is going 70. She follows the Chippie to the station, goes to the Watch Commander and tells him that one of his officers was speeding to work. The Watch Commander calls the officer to the front desk and writes him a ticket.

there are good and bad in every profession.....

Doctors, lawyers, bakers and auto techs.... cops are held to a higher standard and most expect officers to maintain that level.... no excuses, cops make mistakes like everyone else.... the media enjoys when it happens and with the heightened media available...it's publisized extensively....but, on the other hand you would think cops should realize that cameras and other recording equipment is out there and keep that in mind when they feel like doing something out of context.....Our department has a very strict pursuit policy....they follow it or they are reprimanded.....
We also work very closely with two sheriff's departments and the state police which we shared (up until recently) a building with....we all are doing the same job....we might need them, they might need us and we back each other up on calls....can't understand the mentality of feuding agencies....makes no sense..... does nothing to insure the safety of the public.....or the officers for that matter....
bottom line....cops that break the law and continually do things that are unethical or immoral should not be on the job....they should be held accountable...but....don't condem us all for the actions of a minority....unfortunately, the public relates one bad cop to all cops...but yet doesn't do the same for other professions...One bad doctor doesn't make them all bad....you get my point.....I will now get off my soap box...:D

unfortunately, the public relates one bad cop to all cops...but yet doesn't do the same for other professions...One bad doctor doesn't make them all bad....you get my point.....I will now get off my soap box...:D
It doesn't help when the media runs a story about so called bad cops, but when they are exonerated, the new media doesn't run the story.

Case in point........

Do you remember the Long Beach sting that was run by Don Jackson? It showed the cops pulling him over, slamming his face into the hood of the car, then putting him up against a plate glass window and the window shattering. Both officers retired on a stress. The investigation revealed the hood incident was actually the suspect slapping the hood with his hand, not his head. The window was shattered by the suspect's elbow hitting the window. The officers were cleared, but the news media never ran the story.

For those that don't know Don Jackson, he was a disgruntled Sergeant with a local P.D. that went out on stress. He was in the process of being demoted over an incident which he did and claimed the Department was racist.

I was sued over a traffic collision, where I was chasing a suspect and a lady made a left turn in front of me. Even though she was at fault, she sued me anyway. I filed a counter suit, which my Department tried to discourage. When I asked why, they said it looks bad when cops sue citizens. I told my Department to pound sand, the lady sued me even though her insurance company admitted fault, only because I was a cop. I won.............

Is it me or do most of these morons seem to be from Florida these days?

Yep, we seem to be the breeding ground for all kinds of goofiness. :eek: If you watch Worlds Dumbest most of the videos were shot here. We are SO PROUD !! :eek::D We also have some very bright jurors..........ala Casey Anthony ! :mad::mad:

Don

Yep, we seem to be the breeding ground for all kinds of goofiness. :eek: If you watch Worlds Dumbest most of the videos were shot here. We are SO PROUD !! :eek::D We also have some very bright jurors..........ala Casey Anthony ! :mad::mad:

Don
Ha, ha, we got you beat. One word,,,,,,,,O.J.

Latest posts

Back