a little headlight talk.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

ok, i bought these headlights on the cheap.

yes010.jpg

i was wondering what or how are you guys are replating the chrome dish on the inside? i was thinking maybe find someone that does the spray on chrome for these, yea nea?

i was also thinking about dumping the wimpy bulb and trying to fit a modern bulb from a newer car/ truck in them. i think there called hid or something like that. only reason i want to go threw all of this is i like the look of the front glass.

The plating on the headlight reflector is called "silvering", it's not chrome. There are places that will restore them although it's not cheap. The results are usually quite stunning though.

thanks for the correct wording of them gastrick.

i kinda figured it wouldnt be cheap, thats where i thought of the spray on or rechrome of these parts

I have tossed around the HID conversion idea myself... but the set of lights I have are for sealed beams... makes it a little trickier..

i like it. i just payed $40+ for two bulbs for my truck. that kit is cheaper than what it would have ran for me.

it looks ok in the pic, but there is a bunch of silvering missing on them. once i get better (flu) ill take a pic of them

Hmm

I could be very wrong, but I don't think those are headlights. They look more like accessory lights. Vintage headlights tend to be large due to the technology and needing to be. Have you seen the side accessory lights on the Ford Model A deluxes? Yours aren't that, they look bigger (and the Fords had a yellow lens), but I think those might be something like those?[S

How big are they? (diameter)

That is much larger than the Ford Model A accessory light, but they looked much larger than those (those are about 4" or so). But I still think they look like an accessory light for something else in lue of an actual headlight. But, that doesn't mean they can't be used as headlights, 6-7" is large enough, especially if you use an upgraded lamp like you mentioned. The difference will be the how the lens infracts the light. It will be for of a "flood" effect.

They might be a "driving" light for something. European cars used those allot back in the day..

Lights

They are called driving lights and if they are 7 inch there is a kit to switch over to sealed beam.The only thing with the seal-beam kit you lose the original lenses so I would go with the halogen kit.As far as doing the silver do it yourself,that company is highway robbery.Its companies like that who drive the prices up on all our stuff.:cool:

Do it yourself

If you are going with the halogen set even better,just take it apart get you some good heat resistant spray on chrome(really silver} clean the reflectors up real good and spray them.It ain"t like you are building a show car.The reason I say to use the heat resistant paint the halogin bulbs do put off more heat than sealbeams.I changed over a set of 31 A lights and used header paint.Holds up good and looks clean.:cool:

thanks man,

but that really hurts, i plan on building it for the rat rod state nationals. now i just got a rat. lol[cl

Rat rod state finals.

Saw something at the swapmeet Sunday ,dude had a ratrod 50 Ford cab,he welded a meat cleaver to the top corner of the cab and called that his chopped top.Don"t worry I don"t think hes any competition.Good luck with your lights man.:cool:

Saw something at the swapmeet Sunday ,dude had a ratrod 50 Ford cab,he welded a meat cleaver to the top corner of the cab and called that his chopped top.Don"t worry I don"t think hes any competition.Good luck with your lights man.:cool:

lol.

gastrick, ya got any more of that ride? i think its a fuel tank but cant make it out.

Latest posts

Back