A New Project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
PlymouthTruck013.jpg

Sunday afternoon this 1940 Plymouth came up on the local Craigslist. I always liked these trucks so I got hold of the owner right away. This afternoon I looked at it and it was even nicer than I expected. Gave the owner a down payment. It is licensed and the title is in the owner's name. That is a real bonus nowdays.

PlymouthTruck012.jpg

Kinda cute from the front. Since all I have is small block Chevy engines laying around, I guess this will get one.

PlymouthTruck014.jpg

It has a steel floor in the box and a home made tailgate. I'll never find a Plymouth tailgate. Keep your eye open for one for me, will ya?

Nice Im really glad Bob is starting a new project I have learned so much from his and everyones builds

Looks like a solid start, cant wait to watch you build this one up.. what are your plans?

looks good![cl i believe that you have scored another great project...the RRR nation is patiently waiting for a build thread! [P [P [P [P

HRP

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys. I feel fortunate to have found and bought this truck. The 1950 Chevy/GMC that I worked on last winter just didn't excite me. I really like them, but I guess not well enough to put the rest of the time and especially money into that one.
About 10 years ago I looked at a Plymouth pickup like this one but waited too long and someone else bought it. Didn't want that to happen again.
The plan is for this to be an almost daily driver. Since I just pulled a low compression 406SBC out of the Crosley, it will go into this truck. Also, I have most of a Mustang II front suspension so I'll use that. It will get softer rear springs and lots of weatherstriping and insulation. Still need to decide about a 700r4 or 350th. After I get the small rust through repaired and the few dents ironed out I'll be forced to decide how much to finish the body and paint. It could go anywhere from "leave it as is" to a full paint job with Blitz black or even (gasp) a color. Everything will be done at home, by me so it won't approach show quality. Except for the rat rod shows, that is. They're the best kind anyway.

Great find, hope to see lots of pics of the build. I got lots of good ideas from your last build, hope ya don't mind if I borrow a few of em........:)

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys. I feel fortunate to have found and bought this truck. The 1950 Chevy/GMC that I worked on last winter just didn't excite me. I really like them, but I guess not well enough to put the rest of the time and especially money into that one.
About 10 years ago I looked at a Plymouth pickup like this one but waited too long and someone else bought it. Didn't want that to happen again.
The plan is for this to be an almost daily driver. Since I just pulled a low compression 406SBC out of the Crosley, it will go into this truck. Also, I have most of a Mustang II front suspension so I'll use that. It will get softer rear springs and lots of weatherstriping and insulation. Still need to decide about a 700r4 or 350th. After I get the small rust through repaired and the few dents ironed out I'll be forced to decide how much to finish the body and paint. It could go anywhere from "leave it as is" to a full paint job with Blitz black or even (gasp) a color. Everything will be done at home, by me so it won't approach show quality. Except for the rat rod shows, that is. They're the best kind anyway.

Ya know Bob, that Chevy that your not excited about could find it's way east...(probably after the snow isn't a factor though);)

Latest posts

Back