A nube's search for vision

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, if your screen name isn't a joke I'd get the red F1. Get it running and driving, develop some "shop skills". Your wife likes trucks and if mama ain't happy nobody is happy. Then you'll have a hauler to bring home all the finds for what you want to build with your new skills.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, if your screen name isn't a joke I'd get the red F1. Get it running and driving, develop some "shop skills". Your wife likes trucks and if mama ain't happy nobody is happy. Then you'll have a hauler to bring home all the finds for what you want to build with your new skills.

i agree
i will never again buy a project vehicle that isn't a legal runner.
simply because i don't have the time/money/skills or inclination to scratch build another car.

Hmmm.

Well yes the screen name is a bit of a misnomer, but I'll wait until I start fabbing something & posting and let you fellas (and gals) judge how tongue in cheek it is. But I have a long history of metal working in my background and automotive tinkering…although far more repair and maintenance than modifications.

Long since ruled out a "restoration". I know that a 45 MPH parade driver is not going to do it for me. Without offending anyone, it's hard for me to put into words how much I dislike "clubbers". You know the guys, be it NSRA, or EAA, or any extraoplated interest group, there's always that guy (usually wearing the jumpsuit full of chapter and event patches) that knows more than you…or at least wants to demonstrate how much he knows. It's not that I know everything, but I don't need to spend much time with "that guy".

I have plenty of room and it's not that money is no object, but nothing I get involved in is going to break the bank, so having a daily driver is far less important than having a project.

Like I said I'm going to sleep on it for a week anyhow. Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:
I see a model a roadster in the making too. Back half and one door. Is the other door there too? Hmmmm

Dowoplover is right. I've got the deer in the headlights stare…

I talked with the junk guy I'd visited 2 weeks ago and he wants $3500 for what he calls the "Bonnie and Clyde car". I think that's a bit much for the condition it's in, but I'm drawing straws when it comes to how you value these old rusted out hulks. In my mind, the title is worth more than the scrap at least until someone builds up a project that rolls. He claims that he's got a title for everything, which is more than I can say pounding the pavement, or more accurately dusting the dirt roads, and talking with private sellers.

In the 100 degree heat today, I got over to look at a comparatively solid '39 Pontiac. The door jambs are still solid. Although all of the wood is long since gone, it's about as good as can be expected given that it's NEVER BEEN INSIDE! It's also a steal at half the price, but it's a lot bigger car with a much narrower end result. Here's a few photos:

and the big inline flat head

The owner was out of town… He's an older gentleman that doesn't own a computer. So the neighbor showed me the Pontiac… We also walked around and looked at a few other things that "might be for sale" like this:

and this:

waiting for a call back from the vacationing owner...

Wow.
This guy has lots of cool material to work with.
That coupe in the blurry pic that might be for sale looks alot like a very late 30's or a 1940 Ford, Very nice.
Getting something in better shape for more money is a better bargin then spending less for worse. As long as you can afford it.
Torchie.

That coupe in the blurry pic that might be for sale looks alot like a very late 30's or a 1940 Ford...
Torchie.

Yeah… I know. The problem is that he's likely sentimentally attached to it and will price it accordingly. Allegedly; his now deceased brother had been working on it in his retirement prior to passing away. Everything is there! Fenders, entire cowl, complete engine and drive train, etc... but he'd started it more as a restoration - back in the late 1970s. Not sure the term rat rod had even been coined yet.

Not that I wouldn't have the heart to deviate from the plan, but the price has got to be right. The only price I know so far is the Pontiac. I also happen to be tall, so I'm leaning towards a full bodied cabin class cruiser, where I can install a more recumbent seat that will offset any chop. After dinner and some thought I'm really liking the Pontiac for the price and think I have a vision of it's rebirth as a modern street cruiser.

The Pontiac is cool but not $3500 cool. In that condition (not bad) it would have to be a 2 door Ford to come close. I ebayed a 41 Ford pickup with title in similar condition and got $3500, and those are way more popular.

No… The Pontiac is only $1800. The $3500 price is for the late 30's A-model on page one of this thread. Problem is I'll have to have the Pontiac flat-bedded home for a few hundred bucks

I think $1800 would be a decent price for the Pontiac, especially with a good title. It looks very solid. I would pass on the '33/34 Ford fordor for $3500, if it was a Tudor I could see paying that much but not a fordor lol. He has a lot of nice looking projects though and I'm sure you'll find something you like in your price range.

I'm tall too (6'3") and have two kids and one on the way, so I really would lean towards the '39 Pontiac.

OK. I think I have come to terms with the seller, who HAS the title for the 1939 Pontiac Deluxe. I've got a roll-back owning buddy committed to helping move her to my shop. Once again paralysis has set in. The restored stockers I see for sale on line for $16-20K...just aren't that cool…

Now the business coupe is much cooler and transforms well into a hot-rod, but the fodor is a bit clunky…The mini van of the day. Note the two door coups have long since been snatched up for projects and I can't find one locally, not to mention anywhere near this price. If I pull the trigger on this one, it looks like I could take delivery as early as next thursday. So I played around with some cut and crops of a few photos…making an extended two door...what do ya'll think?

Last edited:
It would be a nice looking car as a moredoor. Id lower it and go.

Here's a coupe I saw last year. Your car done along these lines would be a fun car.

I lie your ideas on the 2 door conversion but stretching those doors will test your skills. I'm not on the more door bandwagon. For lots of reasons but number one is they take just as much or more resources to build as a 2 door and aren't worth near as much when you gt done and are much harder to sell if you ever decide to.

In the past couple of years the 2 door /4 door thing doesn't seen to be as big of a deal. I've seen lots of people having fun in nicely built 4 doors.

Latest posts

Back