A project of sorts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
My home made drill press project is getting closer.

creightonouting032.jpg

I built this so I could have a drill press that turns slow. I had thought about modifying a regular one to slow it down then this head came my way last week. Basically the best drill presses I have found do about 240-260 on the slowest speed. That is way too fast for any bits much beyond 5/8 "
I have this one geared for around 60 rpm on the slowest and maybe 250 or so at the fastest (and those gears make a lot of racket spinning that fast). I have a 4 step on the motor and 2 above that, plus I can change out the other side of the pillowblock too so it can be dialed in.

Excellent project. I am a firm believer in the "build it yourself" attitude. It is cheaper, and much more fun. And you learn so much. Good job.

WB3, When I was a kid and lived on my Grandpa's turkey farm summers, I was the motor that ran a drill press just like yours. He didn't need a motor as long as he had me! I sure wish I had that press now, so I could copy your neat conversion.

no i wished i could but i got a wedding tomorow and its supposed to be outside in the hills and my wife is in it this could be fun the olny problem is i have to listen to the oll lady whine because she has to stand in the rain/snow for 15 min

Latest posts

Back