A Short Story - An S10 to a Ditch-Bomber

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Here's a long answer to a short question from Dr. Crankenstein. (BTW Doc, you were awesome in "Once Upon a Time in the West")

Well, my winter beater has been an 89 S10 with a 4.3L for the last couple years. A hand-me-down from my daughter. About a month ago when the temperature was somewhere around -20˚, I took off for work, but within 6 miles it started hammering pretty bad. So I turned around a got it home. Dug out the trusty 63 F100 for transport and tore into the S10. #1 Bearing had spun.

I figured maybe I could slap it back together and drive it through the winter. Had to put a .75mm undersized bearing in #1 after a little sanding! Got it back together, drove it once to work and back. 32 Miles round trip and it lost oil pressure and was hammering again by the end. #1 Was still OK, but #2 was the problem - go figure.

So now I need a winter beater that I don't care if the salt eats. The wife wanted me to get something 4x4 since we now live in the country. Started looking on Craigs. Was looking at trucks, but kinda wandered. Found several project type vehicles, but I need a runner so I'm thinking this 66 4dr Caddy.

My wife said I can only get it if I make 4x4. So if I get it, it's gotta eventually go 4x4. [S I was thinking duals too. Seriously.

Eventually I'd like to try turning it into a 2dr - just because. First I gotta buy it - if the weather ever calms down enough to even go look at it!

I found some other cool cars that I'd love to run, but they're too good of shape or too rare to use as a ditch bomber. 69 Mercury X100, 68 Deville 2dr, 65 Merc Breezway (love to make that a 2dr), a Newport, etc....

So that's my story so far.

Attachments

• 00O0O_huXRcGECdkW_600x450.jpg
    00O0O_huXRcGECdkW_600x450.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 57
(BTW Doc, you were awesome in "Once Upon a Time in the West")

Thanks, Sam. I think "Symphony of Destruction" speaks well of you. [ddd

If you think about it... dual wheels and a limited slip diff is 4WD.

Seriously, four studded grips won't have traction issues with 5000 pounds of glass and steel on their backs. (Stepping up the gear ratio will put some lead in "Grandpa's" pencil as well.)

Tubbed, two-doored and 472'' of ditch rippin' Cadillac torque...

Oh yeah Doc, the duals would be tucked under. And as low as possible.... although skyjacked in the back end is always classy. And as WB3 mentioned, with a trunk full of rabbits, of course.

...Seriously, four studded grips won't have traction issues with 5000 pounds of glass and steel on their backs...

That was my 1st though too.

Gross vehicle wt. & loads of torque are not to be dismissed in midwest snow. I think I'd consider increasing ground clearance just for some extra piece of mind on unplowed back roads. A set of aggressive tread snow tires would give it a more dominate look.

While your going Luxury Snow Commander you might as well mount a plow on the front end. :D

Some of Cadillac's slogans from days gone by:

"You Can Kill a Horse but not a Cadillac (1905)"

"Every Cadillac is a Dewar Trophy" (1911)

"Cadillac Shows the World ...how truly magnificent a motor car can be!" (1937)

"It's a "Who's Who" of the Highway!" (1952)

"More Eloquent Than Words!" (1952)

"Those who want the finest want - the Standard of the World!" (1953)

"Cadillac car is one of the soundest investments in the automotive world!" (1953)

"They'll Take The Cadillac Tonight!" (1955)

"It Gives a Man a New Outlook... Cadillac" (1957)

"Finest Expression of Motordom's Highest Ideal!" (1957)

"Magnificent Beyond All Expectations! - Cadillac" (1957)

"It Outsteps It's Own Great Traditions!" (1958)

"In a realm all its own ... Cadillac" (1959)

"A New Realm of Motoring Majesty! - The 1959 Cadillac"

"Cadillac - a new measure of automotive supremacy." (1959)

"Cadillac ... the new measurement of greatness" (1959)

"Cadillac ... universal symbol of excellence" (1959)

"Cadillac ...World's Best Synonym for Quality!" (1959)

"Unique acclaim - even for a Cadillac" (1960)

I think the 1905 slogan would be appropriate lettered on the plow.

What about a late 60's eldo? FWD, could put studded tires on it now. then figure out some sort of transfer case deal and mount a diff in the back...[;)

Attachments

• 67 eldo.jpg
    67 eldo.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 16
you are truly sick people!!!

the rear ends used under tow trucks and cab and chassis are much narrower than dually PU rears. the inside tires almost rub the out side of the leaf spring. should fit under the Caddie body easily with a narrowed frame and some tub work. a transfer case and a front axle from a 70's C-30 would add up to 6 wheel drive.

stick with some tall skinny snow tires all around, and it will crawl up walls.

Yeah, that's the one. Been busy and sick, and sick of the F'ing weather so haven't had it out to get good pics. What sucks is, 2 days after I bought it, my dream car came up on CL - 1972 2dr Newport.

Wish I'd taken pics of it on the trailer - it didn't quite fit. 1/4" or so on either side between the rails. Getting it on the trailer was an interesting 2 man job I did by myself. I had to play the part of all 3 Stooges.

Motor and trans seem solid. But it's got some rust out in pretty much every panel and it is a 4dr, so I'm thinking I might just cut it up.

In Anchorage there used to be a guy with a Toronado winter beater. He had a pipe and boiler plate front bumper and called it Torosaurus. That thing would plow through anything, including dumb drivers cars!!

He had a pipe and boiler plate front bumper and called it Torosaurus.

Sounds like good, clean fun to me. [ddd

Sam, I feel the same... sick and sick. :mad:

Comparing the sedan to the coupe, I don't see a noticeable difference in wheelbase and curiosity forced a quick butcher job... doors only, no change to the roofline or wheelbase. (Not that you need my help in that department, but I'll post anyhow. :eek:)

A couple better pics of it. Drove it a few times to work now.
attachment.php

And one pic after I lowered it about 4". I put 85 Cutlass springs on all four corners. I'm not sure if I should run it that way or cut down the original springs? The Caddy springs are thicker, so I'm wondering how that would affect ride.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP7754a.jpg
    IMGP7754a.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP7765a.jpg
    IMGP7765a.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 31
I would say a shortened stock spring would normally give a harsher ride, but with the boat like ride of the caddy, I'm sure it could stand to use a stiffer ride in general anyhow!

How much did you cut and how far off the ground are you? My rockers are about 6" from the ground now, I don't think I wanna risk any lower - looks like it would run into scrub line problems.

I'm happy with my height and the ride is OK, I just wonder if cut original springs would be any better or worse than the Cutlass springs? Just don't want to waste a lot of time and energy to swap springs and get no improvement. I guess I could run some numbers through the physics formulas and figure it out that way, but that requires deep thought and I feel like being brain lazy.

Mine is currently at 3 1/2", it definitely has scrubline issues. If remember correctly when it had 1 coil cut in the front and 2 in the rear it was a decent ride. Now most of the ride is in the seat,man is that thing comfy!

Latest posts

Back