aaw ****, i've got the death wobble...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the input guys. Tommorrow i am going to switch the front around till i get the plates from speedway. Im allready at max pressure up front. i was wondering if the rear tire pressure plays a factor at all? There 7.50-16s w/a reccomended psi of 50. I have them down somewhere between 30-35. There still crowned in the center.

SUCCESS!!!

I switched the front tires around and took her for a stroll. The wobble was no more, atleast not at 30 like before. After work today i installed the VW steering dampener, I will never build another rod without one of these. It goes too smoothly down the road. Might get myself in trouble. Almost got taked out by a tractor/bailer/wagon, coming around a corner while i was testing her out. I was hugging the corner too. Got 2 tires in the dirt and she kept goin with no problems.

I am still going to set the camber back to around 6-8degrees. Just to do it right.

I found that one of my tires is out of round.

It rides so nice i dont think i need front shocks. But i allready have my old school hydraulic shocks mounted so i will run em anyways.

Good deal glad you figured it out the only problem is like the rest of us you changed so much you can't be sure exactly what fixed it. Now you know why you got so many different responses.

My thinking is the same on the front draglink stabilizer/dampener as yours. I am going to put one on the front of my current 29 rpu project for sure. I plan on running this one at the Billetproof drags, and the LAST thing I want it death wobble when going through the lights at 200 mph. :rolleyes: (Hey, it COULD happen............ok, 100 mph :D)

Don

Glad you got it fixed...

FYI: I had gone to local parts store to see if they had the 65 VW stabilizer/dampner, they did'nt, but I saw the photo of it - it looked identical to the one that is being offered by So Cal Speed Shop and Pete & Jakes...

Today I am going to try changing the tie rod ends... Mine currently has heim joints, and they seem a little worn, so I am going to put on traditional tie rod ends and see how that works...

Glad you got it fixed...

Today I am going to try changing the tie rod ends... Mine currently has heim joints, and they seem a little worn, so I am going to put on traditional tie rod ends and see how that works...

How are you going to go back to tie rod ends after having heims? Didn't you have to drill out the holes in the ends of the steering arms etc to run 5/8 bolts down through? The tie rod ends will have tapered ends and won't fit in those holes now.

Don

Don

Actually, I did not have to drill out the arms... I used a stud that is tapered on one end to fit in the arm... I got it from speedway... See picture... Its actually made for a shock/tie rod conversion...

Attachments

• 535AK35_R.jpg
    535AK35_R.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 10
Those are pretty common bolts. They come with alot of 4x4 steering stabilizers. I never use em, but i dont throw em out either. Some day i'll need em. That mentality is why i have so much crap....

Looks like I got rid of the death wobble... Put on new tie rod and ends - did not cure it. Adjusted toe setting, seemed to help, but still there. Adjusted caster angle (had way too much caster angle) and put on stabilizer - problem solved - (it's only been 2 days, keep my fingers crossed).

What kind of damper did you use and where did you get it? I'm not on the road yet but H-town roads are all busted up, and I and see needing one of these...

go to your parts store and order a steering dampener for an early volkswagen beetle. '41 right up through the '60s. Somethine pre-super beetle. There the exact same thing as the SoCal units.

If you can find a cheap one you'll still need a clamp for the draglink and you'll have to weld on a mount somewhere either on your frame or wishbones/hairpins.

real simple stuff.

I just ordered a stabilizer from SoCal, it was like $ 40 unchromed. The chrome one was only about $ 60.00, but wouldn't match the rest of the color combinations I am using.

Don

I got a SoCal Speed Shop unit from Reid's Hot Rod in So Calif (they have an internet site)... I got the So Cal unit because it comes with the clamps... The clamps look like bicycle seat clamp (where seat clamps to post)... Like Hillbilly said it is identical to the VW unit... Like Don said, they only come in chrome or (unchrome - red color), I am going to paint black...

OK so do you mount the damper to the tie rod or to the drag link (connected to steering arm & box)? Anyone got a pic of thiers?

I have a suicide front end so if it mounts to the tie rod, then the only place I could mount the other end of it is to the axle.

BigIrish

Yes it is mounted from tie rod to lower bar of passenger side radius rod...

I never thought about it before, but where would you mount it with a setup with the tie rod out front... Why dont you call So Cal Speed Shop, they should know... Their main shop is in Pomona california (909) 469-6171... Or maybe DonsRods will know and post, he's really sharp on this stuff...

There is almost no way to put it on a tie rod in front setup, at least to look good. I'd love to put one on my 23, but it would look goofy out there. So I'll put this one on my 29 where the tie rod is behind the axle.

Don

yeah, what he said. With a suicide style front end it would stick out like a sore thumb. Its your choice looks or drivability. My truck has a spring over with cowl steering. The only visible part of the shock is where it hooks to the hairpin. Everything else is hidden under the grill.

I'll bust out my camera when i get a chance

Thanks guys, that's what I figuired. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope I don't need it.

I wonder if it would do anything if it was attached to the drag link instead? Probably not as effective...

Latest posts

Back